Official 2014 NHL Draft thread

North Buffalo

So has anyone else wondered if maybe this years draft is just getting a bad rep for talent just because of whats on the horizon for next year? Or are these kids really just not up to speed with what the top of the draft has seen the last few years? Or maybe the problem is depth? I've just been thinking about how two picks in the top 5 could really be a game changer for us. As much as i love the idea of McDavid / Eichel, IF GMTM does his homework are they really necessary?

Ted seems like a coach that can get water out of a rock. With our pipeline do we really need those superstars? Just looking at the Blues, they seem to be winning by comittee, with no real standout offensive "superstars". They just have a ton of really good guys. When i think about Coho, Ennis, Pysyk, Girgs, Risto, Zadorov, Armia, Grigorenko, Foligno, Baptiste, Fasching, Carrier, McCabe, Myers, Ullmark, and any two of Reinhart, Bennette, or Drasaitle, thats a pretty stocked cupboard. Obviously McDavid or Eichel wouldnt hurt at all but does it really all depend on landing one of those two?

Edited by BuffaloSoldier2010

1) Reinhart

2) Bennett

3) Dal Colle

4) Draisaitl

5) Nylander

Any two please.

I'm torn about what the Isles will do with that pick. I just have a feeling Garth is going to select this year's pick and then go hog wild to get a defenseman or two and a goalie this offseason. That should help them out alot and probably push that pick in the 10-20 range next year.

Good points BS2010, but which team wouldn't want a superstar (potentially) if one were available?

I can't think of one that wouldn't, so I'm right there with you. Judging from all the talk about altering the draft lottery I'd say that's the likely case. I'm more or less considering the probability of us being the worst team in the league once again next year. This is a historical failure in terms of performance for this franchise. What are the odds we come close to it again next year? I wish i could pick GMTMs brain and figure out just what his trajectory is. We have an astonishing amount of cap space going into FA this year.

I guess thats the excitement of having a GM that hasnt been here for 14 years. I really have no idea whats going to happen next year. It could go either way IMO. especially if measures to alter the draft order are taken for 2015.

Side question, is anyone aware of when rule changes would need to be implemented to alter the 2015 draft process? I would assume early summer of this year but i have no idea.

Whether we get the Isles pick this year or not we will be bad next year. DR's ineptness left us with few options. But I am one of the few who felt loading up on youth and letting them play NHL minutes and get experience was the way to expedite the rebuild. I don't buy into the crap about losing culture and ruining development but I again am in the minority. But that leaves the question of who will be on the ice in 2014? If we follow precedent these picks will sit in the CHL, then AHL, then finally get a shot. Forget capspace. Unless you want more Leino's fa's aren't coming here. So without a conscience effort to be bad in 2014, we will still be bad simply due to a lack of horses. 2015 we should see some of the kids coming up.

Edited by 3putt

Whether we get the Isles pick this year or not we will be bad next year. DR's ineptness left us with few options. But I am one of the few who felt loading up on youth and letting them play NHL minutes and get experience was the way to expedite the rebuild. I don't buy into the crap about losing culture and ruining development but I again am in the minority. But that leaves the question of who will be on the ice in 2014? If we follow precedent these picks will sit in the CHL, then AHL, then finally get a shot. Forget capspace. Unless you want more Leino's fa's aren't coming here. So without a conscience effort to be bad in 2014, we will still be bad simply due to a lack of horses. 2015 we should see some of the kids coming up.

I would like to have a solid shot at McDavid and then the start of the 2015-16 season it's all about putting the best possible team together.

If we have the #1 and lets say #3 or 4 this year, would you think about taking Ekblad #1 to force Edm to trade? Seeing as Bennett, Reinhardt, or Draistl will still be around at #4 regardless.

I'm thinking the Isles will pick this year and then load up on free agency. Snow will do whatever possible so we don't get a high pick next year.

If we have the #1 and lets say #3 or 4 this year, would you think about taking Ekblad #1 to force Edm to trade? Seeing as Bennett, Reinhardt, or Draistl will still be around at #4 regardless.

I wouldn't be against taking Ekblad as long as we have 2 picks in the top 5. We really need goal scorers and it's highly unlikely that Murray drafts Ekbald. I just don't think Snow is going to give us his pick this year. I think he going to use his pick and then go all in on free agency.

There's no load in UFA this Summer. I'm betting that Snow and company let the Sabres have the pick in '14.

There's a few players he can bring in offensive wise and plenty of goalie's that would be an upgrade to what they have.

Edited by SabresBillsFan

The Islanders are in a tough spot.

Do they risk missing out on a chance to draft pretty high this year for a chance at McDavid. IMO, they will only give us the draft pick this year if they feel they are not going anywhere next season and, therefore, want the chance at McDavid. I think they will give us the pick this year.

You're sitting at the Sabres draft table, before the 1st pick is made the phone rings. The Ducks are calling to see if you are willing to deal the #1 overall pick for the 8th overall pick, 27th overall pick and Andrew Cogliano. Do you make the trade?

I would try to swap out Cogliano for Silfverber, in the end either way I would make that deal.

You're sitting at the Sabres draft table, before the 1st pick is made the phone rings. The Ducks are calling to see if you are willing to deal the #1 overall pick for the 8th overall pick, 27th overall pick and Andrew Cogliano. Do you make the trade?

I would try to swap out Cogliano for Silfverber, in the end either way I would make that deal.

I say absolutely not and make the pick.

Say no thanks and hang up the phone!

Oilers at Hurricanes at 3 PM EDT today. Let's Go Oil!

I'm with you! Tank on and next year will be much worse.

No. We need high end talent

I think TM will entertain trade offers but he has hinted more then once that he doesn't want more picks as much as he wants high end prospects. Silverber may rate that distinction but Cogliano definitely doesn't.

No. We need high end talent

I think TM will entertain trade offers but he has hinted more then once that he doesn't want more picks as much as he wants high end prospects. Silverber may rate that distinction but Cogliano definitely doesn't.

At 26 Cogliano is a decent NHL talent at a fixed cost, signed through 2017-18. Gives the Sabres an another NHL body which they are in desperate need of.

I agree the Sabres are in need of high end talent. I think they can still reach that objective at #8, and pick up a couple of additional assets. With the possibility of having two additional 1st rounders (St. Louis & Islanders) they shoudl be able to come away from draft day with more than "prospects."

At 26 Cogliano is a decent NHL talent at a fixed cost, signed through 2017-18. Gives the Sabres an another NHL body which they are in desperate need of.

I agree the Sabres are in need of high end talent. I think they can still reach that objective at #8, and pick up a couple of additional assets. With the possibility of having two additional 1st rounders (St. Louis & Islanders) they shoudl be able to come away from draft day with more than "prospects."

Cogliano isn't much more than a 40-point player at best. You don't have this kind of season to come out of it with a third-liner and another 8th overall pick.

Cogliano isn't much more than a 40-point player at best. You don't have this kind of season to come out of it with a third-liner and another 8th overall pick.

I would agree with this. This team could put together a decent third and fourth line and even parts of a #2 but they need those top 4 forwards, a starting goalie and they need to know if any of their defensive prospects can handle the top pairing.

Sure you can get a 1st line forward at #8, but without even considering this draft in particular (considered average at best), history tells us it's much less likely than at #1. You don't cut your chance at a top line center by 75% for a 2nd line player (at best) and picks that if you're lucky will produce another 2nd or 3rd line player.

Edited by TrueBluePhD

I would agree with this. This team could put together a decent third and fourth line and even parts of a #2 but they need those top 4 forwards, a starting goalie and they need to know if any of their defensive prospects can handle the top pairing.

Precisely. When the dust settles on the tank... I think the third and fourth lines will be composed of players/prospects we have currently.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.