Nail Yakupov rumored to sabres

papazoid

missing. the. point.

but hey I was trying to have a conversation about the pros and cons of Yakupov. To bad I knew exactly where it would go... "What the hell has Darcy done to us Sabres fans that we can convince ourselves time and time again that offensive players would never fit on this team? We get the exact team we deserve."

The same old argument of all Offensive talent makes us better. This is not true and I deeply wish it was.

Didn't miss the point at all. What you described, Zemgus + Yak is a generational talent. If you want to hold out for generational talents before you bring guys in, the 2015 draft is your vehicle. Problem is, he may not turn out to be your guy either. Yak is a huge upgrade in talent for Buffalo. Given that this team has zero top 6 wingers not named Thomas Vanek I'm not sure we should be turning our nose up at all at talent the likes of Yakupov.

If he turns out to be a slacker you replace him.

Memo to Darcy: Yes Darcy, players you bring in can be moved if they don't pan out.

Absolutely, he reminded me of a very raw version of Afinogenov. and his clashes with the coaching staff this early in his career raise huge red flags for me about his character.

I understand the sentiment on the Afinogenov comment. But in the end, most players performances are a direct result of the chemistry they have with who they are paired/lined with. The Crosby's of the league are the exception to this given they are talents unto themselves. But in most cases it's chemistry that builds the player.

Yakupov could come in here and find instant chemistry, or, subsequently the Sabres could bring in additional talent to extract the most out of his performance and the list can go on. When put on Hall's wing, he led the team in goals, when not, his performance decreased, and when put on the 3rd and 4th line roles it all but vanished. That in itself shows he's an offensively gifted player utilized in the wrong roles with the wrong chemistry in Edmonton this season.

As for his attitude, that is what he was attempting to express, I believe many are reading to much into it. I picture him as a Molginy, only there is no current Lafontaine to pair him with, they key is finding that Lafontaine.

When put on Hall's wing, he led the team in goals, when not, his performance decreased, and when put on the 3rd and 4th line roles it all but vanished. That in itself shows he's an offensively gifted player utilized in the wrong roles with the wrong chemistry in Edmonton this season.

So here you're saying he should gel with Grigs on the third or fourth line then.

I really don't understand the logic in wanting to deal ANY of our D-men with the exception of maybe Myers. The Sabres have a tremendously young D core that has lots of learning ahead of them. Mike Weber has been a solid D-man for a couple of years, people raved about him last year, some wanted an A on his shoulder this year. So he's had a few bad games and now he's the whipping boy. Leave the D core alone and focus on forwards, the biggest problem with this team. A D for a D trade makes no sense to me. Now a D for an F is understandable. I would't got dealing any of our D-men unless it involves a legitimate first line forward.

I initially was under the impression they could be a decent tandem, but I've since looked at Larsson as someone he might find it with. Or maybe Ennis.

The Larsson aspect would be intriguing. The Ennis aspect I want no part of. Larssons two way play may make up fro some the slack of Nail. Ennis? Shudder

Didn't miss the point at all. What you described, Zemgus + Yak is a generational talent. If you want to hold out for generational talents before you bring guys in, the 2015 draft is your vehicle. Problem is, he may not turn out to be your guy either. Yak is a huge upgrade in talent for Buffalo. Given that this team has zero top 6 wingers not named Thomas Vanek I'm not sure we should be turning our nose up at all at talent the likes of Yakupov.

If he turns out to be a slacker you replace him.

Memo to Darcy: Yes Darcy, players you bring in can be moved if they don't pan out.

Talent v Actual play I think is what we are debating. You are predicting yak upon will come here and play to his talent potential. I am arguing that we should look elsewhere for talent because we have limited assets, we need to make the right move. We need a plan and just going after any young talent available is not a plan IMO.

I think the risks outweigh the benefits in this case

Talent v Actual play I think is what we are debating. You are predicting yak upon will come here and play to his talent potential. I am arguing that we should look elsewhere for talent because we have limited assets, we need to make the right move. We need a plan and just going after any young talent available is not a plan IMO.

I think the risks outweigh the benefits in this case

Yes we need to make the right moves. That is fairly obvious. Where are we going to look? The list of teams with surplus top line talent pretty much starts and ends with Edmonton and Colorado. You want young first line talent? You have the draft and you have a very limited number of existing players and teams willing to part with them. And who says a move for Yak isn't part of a plan?

There is no room on the Sabres for Edmonton's best goal scorer last season? The question shouldn't be if there is room for him here. The question should be what is the right package given what he shows on the ice.

There's just no place on the Sabres for a forty goal scorer.

(I don't know if that is what he'll become. It just seemed appropriate.)

I was tempted to go there. I almost did with what I posted.

I'd be interested to hear what Kevin Devine has to say about him.

Me too.

Because he probably has notes on him from amateur scouting, combines, and possibly draft interviews and coach interviews, in addition to pro scout notes on him. It's Devine's job to know what this kid is capable of. He'd probably be honest and unbiased about whether he still projects to live up to his status as a former 1st overall pick, and likely whether that projection is helped or hindered by the direction the Sabres are taking and the development that they're undergoing. I don't think there'd be any reason to for him to sugarcoat it if he thinks this guys has slipped in comparison to others from his class or if his work ethic has become a significant concern.

Do you think we could pry Zach Bogosian out of Winnipeg? If we could I'd be very open to dealing Weber and Myers to other teams because just imagine in 3 years having Zadorov, Risto, Bogosian, and McCabe as 4 of our 6 D-men.

Just signed a long-term deal, so I doubt it. And a guy like Bogosian doesn't do anything to help us, really.

Sabres front on twitter said that a deal is in place for miller with a team that is on his no trade list... Sabres front has predicted rumors right in the past and I wonder if this will be true and who do we get in return... It is most likely the oilers

That twitter account has never been right. It was "right" once because it copied and pasted a comment by a guy on Hockeybuzz who actually appears to be connected. The rest of the stuff it says is basically just throwing ###### at a wall.

Let's be realistic: a trade wouldn't come together in a matter of two hours after a game. Therefore there would've been serious talks at least throughout this entire day. And Miller wouldn't have played if that were the case. ESPECIALLY considering they could easily have played Enroth after a stellar performance against the Panthers.

Sabres front on twitter said that a deal is in place for miller with a team that is on his no trade list... Sabres front has predicted rumors right in the past and I wonder if this will be true and who do we get in return... It is most likely the oilers

:doh:

Archived