Nail Yakupov rumored to sabres

papazoid

All I said was beat around the bush, Philly is desperate after all.

Darcy: "How about Claude?"

Hextall/Holmgren: "No ###### way."

Philly never deals with Buffalo until Regier is fired for even asking such a stupid question.

How're you watching it?

I have NHL GameCenter

I'd be happy with couturier

Now Couturier you could beat the bushes about. Philly needs defense, I would bet Myers or maybe Pysyk would interest them.

I will be working on my Yakupov writeup momentarily...

Nail Yakupov: I will start by mentioning positives of his game last night and then move into some criticism of it.

His skating is quite good and it looks like he can generate a lot of speed coming off the wing. His hands are silky smooth as advertised and he uses them to create space and time for himself. This kid clearly loves the offensive side of things. I say that because you can see his energy level go up when he has the puck on his stick or is involved in trying to make things happen around the net. In the offensive zone he will battle for pucks on his side although I did not see him drop below the goal line to get pucks down low. His shot is quick but I am not sure how good it is. In the defensive zone he is aware of his responsibilities but more on that a little later. Final thought on his positives include his ability to find open space to get in to. He always is moving off defenders and trying to sit in open space. I think it is because he likes get dishes in open space so he can rip one timers or drive the net.

In the defensive zone he floats. I almost never saw him below the faceoff dots. He seemed content to let other ppl dig the puck and pass to him so he could start the rush. He was aware of the guys around him in the d-zone but there were quite a number of times he floated around up high hoping for a breakout pass. He did a similar thing in the offensive zone. He would sit around the faceoff circle looking for feeds. This is not to say he never engaged players on his side of the ice but puck battles along the walls I don't think are his forte. Another annoying habit I saw of his was to quit on plays. He got tripped up on a play and just hit the ice and was like "Ok call the penalty". This bugged me because I want guys to battle through stuff like that to make additional plays if possible. Another time he took a shot that deflected off a defender and there was a quick outlet, while his teammates made a b-line in the opposite direction there was a moment of several seconds where Yakupov hung his head and looked pissed before he lumbered around and started back. His shots were generally on net but a lot of them seemed to lack enough power to beat the goalie outright or accuracy to beat him with finesse/accuracy.

I will let you decide what you think but for me he looked like an opportunist with good hands and skating that gets open and once given the puck in the offensive zone he can drive the net or rip one timers. He didn't pass poorly or well in what I saw. I do not think he the type of player, judging on his style, to come out and try and dominate a game like say Ovechkin. He is more int he mold of say younger Vanek with less of a 2-way game but clearly offensive upside.

I still stand by my earlier conclusion that Yakupov will be a fine player but he doesn't fit on this team for various reasons.

Nail Yakupov: I will start by mentioning positives of his game last night and then move into some criticism of it.

His skating is quite good and it looks like he can generate a lot of speed coming off the wing. His hands are silky smooth as advertised and he uses them to create space and time for himself. This kid clearly loves the offensive side of things. I say that because you can see his energy level go up when he has the puck on his stick or is involved in trying to make things happen around the net. In the offensive zone he will battle for pucks on his side although I did not see him drop below the goal line to get pucks down low. His shot is quick but I am not sure how good it is. In the defensive zone he is aware of his responsibilities but more on that a little later. Final thought on his positives include his ability to find open space to get in to. He always is moving off defenders and trying to sit in open space. I think it is because he likes get dishes in open space so he can rip one timers or drive the net.

In the defensive zone he floats. I almost never saw him below the faceoff dots. He seemed content to let other ppl dig the puck and pass to him so he could start the rush. He was aware of the guys around him in the d-zone but there were quite a number of times he floated around up high hoping for a breakout pass. He did a similar thing in the offensive zone. He would sit around the faceoff circle looking for feeds. This is not to say he never engaged players on his side of the ice but puck battles along the walls I don't think are his forte. Another annoying habit I saw of his was to quit on plays. He got tripped up on a play and just hit the ice and was like "Ok call the penalty". This bugged me because I want guys to battle through stuff like that to make additional plays if possible. Another time he took a shot that deflected off a defender and there was a quick outlet, while his teammates made a b-line in the opposite direction there was a moment of several seconds where Yakupov hung his head and looked pissed before he lumbered around and started back. His shots were generally on net but a lot of them seemed to lack enough power to beat the goalie outright or accuracy to beat him with finesse/accuracy.

I will let you decide what you think but for me he looked like an opportunist with good hands and skating that gets open and once given the puck in the offensive zone he can drive the net or rip one timers. He didn't pass poorly or well in what I saw. I do not think he the type of player, judging on his style, to come out and try and dominate a game like say Ovechkin. He is more int he mold of say younger Vanek with less of a 2-way game but clearly offensive upside.

I still stand by my earlier conclusion that Yakupov will be a fine player but he doesn't fit on this team for various reasons.

Not disagreeing with your assessment but what type of player fits this team? My feeling is any player with offensive skill fits this team. He is young and you can teach defensive zone liabilities. He will mature and be less apt to quit on a play.

You cannot teach skill. He has more offensive skill (besides Vanek - and we know his fate) than any player on the team or in the pipeline. I think he would fit. Sure he has his liabilities but I think the upside far outweighs the down.

Not disagreeing with your assessment but what type of player fits this team? My feeling is any player with offensive skill fits this team. He is young and you can teach defensive zone liabilities. He will mature and be less apt to quit on a play.

You cannot teach skill. He has more offensive skill (besides Vanek - and we know his fate) than any player on the team or in the pipeline. I think he would fit. Sure he has his liabilities but I think the upside far outweighs the down.

I think the sabres have paid for the "upside" of guys for so many years now we have become locked in this cycle of paying for getting 'potential' over actual skill or output.

If we want offensive talent I think we should look at guys with less "potential" and more actual results. yakupov has a mythos about him much in the way Nichushkin did and I would rather not have to sell my soul to get him.

If we want young guys with potential than I have some alternative options for Players I would consider over him: The reason being we would be paying a lot less but IMPO (again this is my opinion based off of what I have seen) getting either better rounded players or players with high offensive upsides who games I think translate well to the NHL.

Vladislav Namestnikov

Beau Bennett

Valentin Zykov

Isn't that the job of the winger on defense. I've seen this criticism of Stafford as well and it's just wrong. If there is a Dman at the point, that is his exact job: get in the passing lanes and wait for a pass if his guy gets the puck.

Whenever I see all five Sabres below the dots withing five feet of our goal it makes my blood boil.

I watched that game last night and my only criticism of him is that when does get the puck in the defensive zone, he panics and doesn't know what to do with it. He's probably just not used to guys being on him that quickly. He'll get over that.

I would take him as a Sabre, absolutely.

Watching Gallagher strip him of the puck was enough for me. This team needs offence sure but I'd rather have offence that was defensively responsible. Floaters are not what this team needs.

Don't we have enough grinders with no talent?

What the hell has Darcy done to us Sabres fans that we can convince ourselves time and time again that offensive players would never fit on this team? We get the exact team we deserve.

What the hell has Darcy done to us Sabres fans that we can convince ourselves time and time again that offensive players would never fit on this team? We get the exact team we deserve.

Just my opinion on one player swamp. Have you watched him play and is there anything about his play that doesn't scream selfish me first player. There are over 800 players in this league and I'm sure one or two of them have some offensive skill. At this point I'd take anyone that will help this team but there's something about this kid that gets my spidey senses going in a bad way. I could be wrong.

Watching Gallagher strip him of the puck was enough for me. This team needs offence sure but I'd rather have offence that was defensively responsible. Floaters are not what this team needs.

His floating is my issue

We deserve determined offensive players, floaters we already got in spades. We need Zemgus determination with Yakupov skill. Another reason I wanted 1 of the top guys in this draft. No offense to Risto who I really like.

Just my opinion on one player swamp. Have you watched him play and is there anything about his play that doesn't scream selfish me first player. There are over 800 players in this league and I'm sure one or two of them have some offensive skill. At this point I'd take anyone that will help this team but there's something about this kid that gets my spidey senses going in a bad way. I could be wrong.

That is how feel. Something about it makes me shy away.

His floating is my issue

We deserve determined offensive players, floaters we already got in spades. We need Zemgus determination with Yakupov skill. Another reason I wanted 1 of the top guys in this draft. No offense to Risto who I really like.

Zemgus determination with Yakupov skill = Crosby. You have to wait until the 2015 draft for that.

His floating is my issue

Doesn't every team need Sidney Crosby?

Dammit, weave!

missing. the. point.

but hey I was trying to have a conversation about the pros and cons of Yakupov. To bad I knew exactly where it would go... "What the hell has Darcy done to us Sabres fans that we can convince ourselves time and time again that offensive players would never fit on this team? We get the exact team we deserve."

The same old argument of all Offensive talent makes us better. This is not true and I deeply wish it was.

missing. the. point.

but hey I was trying to have a conversation about the pros and cons of Yakupov. To bad I knew exactly where it would go... "What the hell has Darcy done to us Sabres fans that we can convince ourselves time and time again that offensive players would never fit on this team? We get the exact team we deserve."

The same old argument of all Offensive talent makes us better. This is not true and I deeply wish it was.

How about some offensive talent?

My first post in this thread was about the hockey I saw him play last night. I guess you didn't agree with it because you didn't respond.

Isn't that the job of the winger on defense. I've seen this criticism of Stafford as well and it's just wrong. If there is a Dman at the point, that is his exact job: get in the passing lanes and wait for a pass if his guy gets the puck.

Whenever I see all five Sabres below the dots withing five feet of our goal it makes my blood boil.

I watched that game last night and my only criticism of him is that when does get the puck in the defensive zone, he panics and doesn't know what to do with it. He's probably just not used to guys being on him that quickly. He'll get over that.

I would take him as a Sabre, absolutely.

How about some offensive talent?

My first post in this thread was about the hockey I saw him play last night. I guess you didn't agree with it because you didn't respond.

I occasionally miss things... however.

This is a valid point that should get consideration. That being said when the play shifts around to his side he should be dropping down to help out. He doesn't. I think that is something that can be taught but what bugs me is the effort on the defensive and offensive side of things. Unless he has the puck or is getting the puck there isn't a lot there. In the Offensive Zone he does the same thing where he sits at the faceoff dot or in the slot waiting for passes. Now I think we some teams that would work just fine and Yakupov would be good. Teams like Boston for isntance that have good puck control down low and strong players along the walls. Buffalo has neither and that is a reason I think Yakupov would fail on this team.

This is a valid point that should get consideration. That being said when the play shifts around to his side he should be dropping down to help out. He doesn't. I think that is something that can be taught but what bugs me is the effort on the defensive and offensive side of things. Unless he has the puck or is getting the puck there isn't a lot there. In the Offensive Zone he does the same thing where he sits at the faceoff dot or in the slot waiting for passes. Now I think we some teams that would work just fine and Yakupov would be good. Teams like Boston for isntance that have good puck control down low and strong players along the walls. Buffalo has neither and that is a reason I think Yakupov would fail on this team.

I somewhat disagree with this ,fundamentally, but I have to go to work. more later.

Absolutely, he reminded me of a very raw version of Afinogenov. and his clashes with the coaching staff this early in his career raise huge red flags for me about his character.

As the team sits now any individual player would fail on this team. Moving forward as you build the team a player like him could be a huge asset. Obviously, you don't want all your top 6 to be the same style player as him. He would be one piece of the rebuild. He would instantly be a top 6 player and on the 1st PP unit.

Maybe there are better options out there. Right now I would be very surprised if there was. If we were not so pathetically void of offensive talent I might say pass on him. That is not the case.

Archived