Is it Too early to put Grigo and Bust in the same sentence?

theesir

First the "I Knows"

I know he's only 19

I know he will mature

I know he has little NHL experience.

I also know that I have not seen a single moment that he has been on the ice where I have thought "WOW!"

What I'm asking is, if there is something special there, shouldn't there be SOME glimpse of it? Some moment where you say now I see what makes him special and as he gets older will grow in him?

This was a guy touted as a possible top 3 pick, he fell to us and we felt we got a steal. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyone? Has anyone seen something I'm missing?

By the way, today John Vogl is reporting he has been pulled off his regular line in practice and is filling in for CoHo who is not practicing.

IMO if you haven't seen flashes if Grigorenko's talent then you've been watching with blinders on. That's not to downplay his deficiencies to this point, but he has definitely shown his hands and vision occasionally. Will it amount to anything? Who the F knows.

Two things we know for sure is that RR doesn't appreciate having him on the roster and Grigorenko's rope is the absolute shortest on the team.

Two things we know for sure is that RR doesn't appreciate having him on the roster and Grigorenko's rope is the absolute shortest on the team.

We don't know either of these things "for sure" at all.

I will say that if Griggy's on a short leash, it's quite likely that he's earned it.

If you aren't willing to let these kids grow in the job, then what are they doing? What's the point of the rebuild? I'm okay giving away the year if the payback is some real game experience at the NHL-level for the youngsters and maturation.

We don't know either of these things "for sure" at all.

I will say that if Griggy's on a short leash, it's quite likely that he's earned it.

Maybe you don't, but I do know it based on RR's commentary and the way he utilizes Grigs. Plenty of other players on the team, including established vets, make egregious decisions and play poorly with seemingly no consequences with regard to ice time.

It's the complete lack of effort and involvement that is the huge concern. Making one unbelievable pass once every five games isn't going to cut it. All you need to do is compare the way Girgs (or even Flynn) hustles and competes when he's out there with the way Grigs essentially just glides around to see why Rolston doesn't trust him. He may have great hands or other talent, but he's going to be a bust if that aspect of his game doesn't change.

Maybe you don't, but I do know it based on RR's commentary and the way he utilizes Grigs. Plenty of other players on the team, including established vets, make egregious decisions and play poorly with seemingly no consequences with regard to ice time.

Really? Which RR comments, specifically, have given you the knowledge that he doesn't want Griggy on his roster?

Too early?

Yes. Why? This:

IMO if you haven't seen flashes if Grigorenko's talent then you've been watching with blinders on. That's not to downplay his deficiencies to this point, but he has definitely shown his hands and vision occasionally. Will it amount to anything? Who the F knows.

But in fairness, this:

Statistical expectations for possible incoming non-NHLers on an 82 game season, based on NHL equivalency methods:

Grigorenko expected to earn 11 points, earned 5.

Seems like this method isn't too far off, with the exception of Grigorenko, whom I believe was under-/mis-used, resulting in an effective skew of his games played.

And to add to that, the shootout winner against Montreal.

I'm with TrueBlue: The guy has shown flashes of the talent that made him a potential top-5 pick.

But Rolston's mantra of a guy's "compete" (I hate when verbs become nouns and vice-versa) is paramount here. And I'm sure that concept is not unique to our squad, either.

Grigorenko's "compete" is marginal, at best, and sometimes appears non-existent. Is it there, waiting to be unearthed once his brain catches up with the game? Or is it just not there? (Or perhaps not there in sufficient quantity?)

I have coached baseball at a pretty high level for 15 years. Every team I have coached there has been that one player (sometimes more) who just annoy the ###### out of me. Grigo is one of those that would annoy me. RR might think that tough love is what this kid needs. We only see the on ice part. Who knows what the locker room and weight room part is like.

29 games for a 19yr old in the NHL. He shouldn't have 29 games because he should have stayed in Quebec. i will wait to pass judgement on him.

Agreed. So much more maturing yet to do. Both mentally and physically. Sometimes its easy to forget how young these guys are. I think he will be just fine - just going to take time.

First the "I Knows"

I know he's only 19

I know he will mature

I know he has little NHL experience.

I also know that I have not seen a single moment that he has been on the ice where I have thought "WOW!"

What I'm asking is, if there is something special there, shouldn't there be SOME glimpse of it? Some moment where you say now I see what makes him special and as he gets older will grow in him?

This was a guy touted as a possible top 3 pick, he fell to us and we felt we got a steal. Now I'm not so sure.

Anyone? Has anyone seen something I'm missing?

By the way, today John Vogl is reporting he has been pulled off his regular line in practice and is filling in for CoHo who is not practicing.

Yes

Archived