Is it Too early to put Grigo and Bust in the same sentence?

theesir

I know it's being discussed elsewhere, but, given that Grigo's conditioning assignment has been rejected, I wanted to get a thread dedicated to him going on the subject.

It's getting comical how poorly managed the guy's career has been to date.

Available on Amazon.com: How to Mishandle a Top Prospect by Darcy Regier.

Grigorenko is the poster child of why the Canadian Junior System is giant cluster ######. I get they want to protect their guys and such but there needs to be exceptions. Girgorenko would destroy the Q and needs to be in Rochester. He has been screwed up by Regier as is and I still don't think he is a bust.

Grigorenko just needs to keep plugging away. I think Nolan is a good coach for him.

I know it's being discussed elsewhere, but, given that Grigo's conditioning assignment has been rejected, I wanted to get a thread dedicated to him going on the subject.

It's getting comical how poorly managed the guy's career has been to date.

Well, it certainly hasn't turned out well, but how much of that is because of the Sabres and how much is because of Griggy?

It sounds like he was dominating the Q -- so it probably wasn't a crazy idea to have him up with the Sabres last year. They probably should've sent him down when he couldn't walk and chew gum at the NHL level, but at the same time, it also wasn't totally insane to think that he could learn more in a more competitive environment with RR the teacher working with him.

We should remember that because of the NHL strike, he still played 33 games in the Q last year (out of 68 total), plus 25 in the NHL. If he gets sent down to the Q this year, he'll play about 65%-70% of the season there, plus 15 NHL games. So he hasn't been deprived of the chance to develop in the Q.

He didn't step up last year and hasn't done so this year.

He's a lousy skater.

Maybe there's a good reason he slid in the draft last year.

Grigorenko is the poster child of why the Canadian Junior System is giant cluster ######. I get they want to protect their guys and such but there needs to be exceptions. Girgorenko would destroy the Q and needs to be in Rochester. He has been screwed up by Regier as is and I still don't think he is a bust.

Grigorenko just needs to keep plugging away. I think Nolan is a good coach for him.

Yep, three of the best development leagues in the world are giant cluster ###### :wallbash:

He has been screwed up by Regier as is and I still don't think he is a bust.

yeah. i didn't love the fact that this was the only grigo thread i could readily find. i'd love for its name to be updated, if possible.

Well, it certainly hasn't turned out well, but how much of that is because of the Sabres and how much is because of Griggy?

<>

He didn't step up last year and hasn't done so this year.

He's a lousy skater.

Maybe there's a good reason he slid in the draft last year.

great post. you may be right on the whole and, (nfree)man, you are definitely right about his skating. atrocious.

The Leagues dictating to the NHL makes it a giant cluster ####

But you say in your next sentence that you understand why they do it. The rule is necessary to have in place or those leagues would basically fold or would be of a much lower quality. They have to have those rules in place and Mikhail Grigorenko of all players is certainly not going to change it, nor should it.

I like the fact at Practice that Girgorenko isn't playing with McCormick and Scott. I think that was one of the dumbest things RR ever did. At least Leino and Foligno are somewhat skilled and can support Grigorenko. Foligno-Leino-Grigorenko may actually work as a line. Someone needs to get the puck and get it to Grigs with some space so he can do what he does.

But you say in your next sentence that you understand why they do it. The rule is necessary to have in place or those leagues would basically fold or would be of a much lower quality. They have to have those rules in place and Mikhail Grigorenko of all players is certainly not going to change it, nor should it.

Yea I get why they the juniors do it. My issue is that there is no exceptions and that the NHL continually allows them to do it. Understanding why and agreeing with why are not the same things.

I guess I should add something. The Canadian Juniors leagues do a great job developing and feeding players to the NHL. The fact that their is no exception for players that have no business being in the juniors other than to play in the NHL is mind boggling and that is where I have an issue.

Yea I get why they the juniors do it. My issue is that there is no exceptions and that the NHL continually allows them to do it. Understanding why and agreeing with why are not the same things.

There is no "the NHL continually allows them to do it". There is a contract between the two organizations that the two went into willingly. If anything, the NHL probably could bully the CHL into whatever they want. They don't because the NHL knows that this agreement is fundamental to keeping the CHl a viable, profitable entity to keep the highly skilled pipeline full.

Having said that, I think it would be reasonable in the next contract to allow say, 6 or so exemptions that the NHL has to approve.

If the Sabres try to send Grigs to the Q, could he refuse and go to the KHL or some other foreign league? Don't know but would seem reasonable.

Ah yes, he is Russian. I hear every Russian secretly wants to return to the mothership.

And to answer your question - only if the Sabres agreed. He is under contract with them so can't sign a KHL contract

Ah yes, he is Russian. I hear every Russian secretly wants to return to the mothership.

And to answer your question - only if the Sabres agreed. He is under contract with them so can't sign a KHL contract

Just like every good Canadian player dreams of coming home to play for the Leafs, or if they are french or have some french blood in them, the Habs

I don't have an issue with the Juniors rule, but I also don't think its so damaging to his development to let him go down and play there, even if he will dominate the league (which I doubt he would be the Crosby of the Q).

I think that the league should in the next contract maybe work out a deal that would allow them to have an agreed upon exemption to the rule where both the NHL and junior team could agree to allow a player to play in a league above Juniors if they can prove it would be better for their development.

Just like every good Canadian player dreams of coming home to play for the Leafs, or if they are french or have some french blood in them, the Habs

I don't have an issue with the Juniors rule, but I also don't think its so damaging to his development to let him go down and play there, even if he will dominate the league (which I doubt he would be the Crosby of the Q).

I think that the league should in the next contract maybe work out a deal that would allow them to have an agreed upon exemption to the rule where both the NHL and junior team could agree to allow a player to play in a league above Juniors if they can prove it would be better for their development.

It's not an issue of what's better for the individual's development as many first round picks would likely develop more in the ahl.

It's not an issue of what's better for the individual's development as many first round picks would likely develop more in the ahl.

Not Necessarily, but that why I was saying it would have to be a joint decision made by the NHL and the junior team to determine whats best for the individual. the opinion here seems to be that Grigo would be the Crosby/Ovi of the Juniors so he should not have to go play there because he is so superior compared to whats down there. Not every kid drafted from juniors is like that, and in this situation theres also the issue that they can't send him down to juniors right now anyways because the Junior team already has their full amount of non Canadian players and there are issues with moves to open a spot.

Archived