Is it Too early to put Grigo and Bust in the same sentence?

theesir

No one has told Ron Ron this, he is coaching like his job depends on it. He needs to coach like his job depends on the development of the kids.

The terribly ironic thing is that Darcy finally hiked up his skirt and showed the Russians his world and its going to bite him in the ass after going more than a decade of avoiding Ruskies like the plague.

Then Ron Ron needs to go back to his old job and coach in Rochester. The NHL isn't where players should be coming in to develop their skills, Its where they are supposed to show off their skills.

Theres a reason they have minor league systems in place and why players get sent down.

BINGO!! This is exactly what he should be directed to do. I don't give two sh!ts about where we finish this season as long as the young guys are improving. It's only a small handful of games in so I'll be patient but there is the possibility he gets scratched tonight. Really?! Give the kid a bunch of ice time and let him develop!! I don't care if Stafford gives you a slightly better chance to win the game tonight!

#FreeGrigorenko

yeah, throw the kid to the wolves, thats a sure fire way to develop a player!

Just because he is given a bunch of ice time to play at the NHL level it doesn't mean he will develop any better then if he was sent back down to Juniors. Atleast in Juniors the pressure is off, they can tell him to focus on and work on trying certain things they feel he is lacking and he can dominate and get some confidence. Would you rather he stay here, get 15 minutes of ice time having his @zz handed to him by the pros and continue to get more and more frustrated?

THE NHL LEVEL IS NOT THE PLACE TO DEVELOP YOUNG PLAYERS, ITS WHERE THE DEVELOPED PLAYERS GO WHEN THEY ARE READY

Just because he is given a bunch of ice time to play at the NHL level it doesn't mean he will develop any better then if he was sent back down to Juniors. Atleast in Juniors the pressure is off, they can tell him to focus on and work on trying certain things they feel he is lacking and he can dominate and get some confidence. Would you rather he stay here, get 15 minutes of ice time having his @zz handed to him by the pros and continue to get more and more frustrated?

I would much rather him be sent down to the Q then sit in the pressbox. My point is more to the effect that he has to play. I don't think having him sit in the pressbox or 8 minutes a game is doing a damn thing for him. Having said that he's still dominated the Q every chance he gets. I'd rather him get his @zz handed to him as you put it then sit and do nothing.

BINGO!! This is exactly what he should be directed to do. I don't give two sh!ts about where we finish this season as long as the young guys are improving. It's only a small handful of games in so I'll be patient but there is the possibility he gets scratched tonight. Really?! Give the kid a bunch of ice time and let him develop!! I don't care if Stafford gives you a slightly better chance to win the game tonight!

#FreeGrigorenko

Scratching him makes no sense, either play him, or send him back to juniors.

Canes will be more than happy to trade you Zach Boychuk for Grigs. Zach was a 14th overall pick and has attended 6 Canes training camps and he's still riding the bus in the AHL. He was waived by 3 NHL teams and finally ended back up in Charlotte.

Wanna talk about busts?

Canes will be more than happy to trade you Zach Boychuk for Grigs. Zach was a 14th overall pick and has attended 6 Canes training camps and he's still riding the bus in the AHL. He was waived by 3 NHL teams and finally ended back up in Charlotte.

Wanna talk about busts?

Alexandre Daigle? :w00t:

If we had been crappier last year we could have drafted Sean Monahan who has 3g and 2a which ='s Grigs point total from last year.

Judging based on Beyond Blue&Gold, i think Risto was their guy 100%. Even after Nashville selected Seth Jones, Devine was like "thank god" when they went with Jones and not Risto. lol

Then Ron Ron needs to go back to his old job and coach in Rochester. The NHL isn't where players should be coming in to develop their skills, Its where they are supposed to show off their skills.

Theres a reason they have minor league systems in place and why players get sent down.

THE NHL LEVEL IS NOT THE PLACE TO DEVELOP YOUNG PLAYERS, ITS WHERE THE DEVELOPED PLAYERS GO WHEN THEY ARE READY

This is a gross oversimplification of player development. Players are constantly developing at the NHL level. Sure, there's some minimum level of development necessary before a player can really compete in the NHL, but it's not like anyone is the same player in their 100th game as they are in their 10th game.

Judging based on Beyond Blue&Gold, i think Risto was their guy 100%. Even after Nashville selected Seth Jones, Devine was like "thank god" when they went with Jones and not Risto. lol

I think it was to and I think if they had wanted to they could have traded Reggie and 8 for 5

If we had been crappier last year we could have drafted Sean Monahan who has 3g and 2a which ='s Grigs point total from last year.

They could have made the deal with Carolina to get either Lindholm or Monahan had they wanted.

Agree. That's the guy they wanted and seemed very content to sit at 8 and take him.

They could have made the deal with Carolina to get either Lindholm or Monahan had they wanted.

Agree. That's the guy they wanted and seemed very content to sit at 8 and take him.

AND I WANTED THEM TOO. I was big on Lindholm and Monahan (who we all knew was going to calgary) and yet we drafted another defender and then another one (although Zadorov should not have been there). I like Risto, I really do. He seems smart, hard working, really mature for his age and I see him get better each night. However elite offensive talent or even really good talent is so hard to find... if 8 plus reggie was the price I would have traded up.

This is a gross oversimplification of player development. Players are constantly developing at the NHL level. Sure, there's some minimum level of development necessary before a player can really compete in the NHL, but it's not like anyone is the same player in their 100th game as they are in their 10th game.

Of course players continue to develop even in the NHL, but they don't need their coaches to hold their hands and teach them to develop the basics of their game.

Competent teams develop their players to the extent where they can atleast play and contribute at the NHL level before bringing them up and letting them continue to develop. They let their minor league coaches develop their basic skills and move them up when they can play in the NHL

Competent Successful teams develop their players to the extent where they can atleast play and contribute at the NHL level before bringing them up and letting them continue to develop. They let their minor league coaches develop their basic skills and move them up when they can play in the NHL

FTFY

This has been the bane of my existence as a Canes fan and it is going to become more and more important with the current salary cap structure. You have to be able to identify talent beyond the top of the draft and develop some of them into NHL level players. If a GM and staff want to impress me, be able to draft an occasional 4th - 6th rounder that can develop into an NHLer. It's easy to draft at the top, the press does plenty of scouting.

As for Grigo, I think it's a little early to throw in the towel.

Elite forward talent is clearly what this team needs and I'm not sure they will get it from this draft.

I'm convinced Darcy is angling furiously to make another deal for an Hodgson-type emerging player.

I still don't understand why DR didn't outbid Ottawa for Bobby Ryan.

I hope you're right about another deal -- the Sabres certainly have young assets at defense plus draft picks to offer.

One reason I think they drafted Risto and Zadorov was to sure up their future at D. I doubt DR doesn't have a nagging fear that Myers won't work out thus grabbed two more big defencemen with offensive talent. Seeing as Risto could become a #1 D-Man in his own right and Zadorov could be a very good #2/3D-Man down the line.

Just based on the past 3 games we can see,

Myers is still about the same as he was at the end of last year and can't hit the broad side of a barn. His Defensive work is spotty at best.

Risto's offensive still hasn't really showed up but unlike Myers he seems to have above-average defensive skills which makes him useful regardless. I'd rather have a cold offensive defenceman who can still play solid D regardless than a cold offensive defenceman who's really only good for his offensive upside.

As for Griggy, I think he's a casualty of being unable to play in the AHL. Rather than allowing him to walk up the stairs they made him jump up 3 stairs leading to his play. Look at Girgs, he also sucked in the beginning of last year; however he was able to slowly work himself into the league comfortably thus his play improved steadily. Just look at his last four games and you can see how the time to orient himself to the bigger/stronger players has helped him. Game 1 he was working on guys bigger than him but wasn't really hitting. Since then he's hit more and has been determined to keep himself on the team.

I still don't understand why DR didn't outbid Ottawa for Bobby Ryan.

I hope you're right about another deal -- the Sabres certainly have young assets at defense plus draft picks to offer.

I have two possible explanations. One is simply because the plan is to tank and go through the long rebuild--Bobby Ryan doesn't help that. The other is that he thought we were better than we are (I think Dudacek posited this somewhere)--in which case, basically every complaint about Regier becomes unquestionably supported.

I have two possible explanations. One is simply because the plan is to tank and go through the long rebuild--Bobby Ryan doesn't help that. The other is that he thought we were better than we are (I think Dudacek posited this somewhere)--in which case, basically every complaint about Regier becomes unquestionably supported.

Both explanations are quite plausible. Here's another: DR detests bidding wars so much that he sits out whenever a good player publicly comes onto the market -- e.g. Pronger, Mike Richards, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Ryan. So the Sabres don't overpay, but they also never land a difference-maker unless it's someone below the radar like Briere or (hopefully) Hodgson.

Both explanations are quite plausible. Here's another: DR detests bidding wars so much that he sits out whenever a good player publicly comes onto the market -- e.g. Pronger, Mike Richards, Kovalchuk, Gaborik, Ryan. So the Sabres don't overpay, but they also never land a difference-maker unless it's someone below the radar like Briere or (hopefully) Hodgson.

None of this is cheering me up :(

The other thing to consider is if the Sabre would have wanted to better the Ottawa offer.

Would you have done this year's first and two of Ennis, Girgs, Grigs, Armia or Pysyk?

Well, Ottawa gave up their 2014 1st-rounder, which is likely to be about the #20 pick in the 1st round -- which is much less than the #8 or #16 pick in the 2013 draft. So if the Sabres had given up, say, the #16 in this year's draft, presumably they could've given up less in warm bodies than Silfverberg (who is good but not a star) and Noesen (Ottawa's 2011 1st-rounder).

So maybe the 2013 1st-rounder plus Ennis and McNabb? I would've given that up for Ryan.

I would have too when you write it like that.

But when you say Ennis, McNabb and Zadorov, I say no, not with where this team is headed.

And you still can't guarantee that's a better deal form the Ducks perspective.

Do they like Ennis more than Silfverberg and McNabb more than Noesen?

Is pick 16 now better than gambling where Ottawa will finish?

Archived