GDT: SEASON OPENER, Buffalo Sabres at Detroit Red Wings, 10/2/2013, 8:00pm

darksabre

Sucks:

Myers

Staph

Leino

Grigs (and im a fan) getting blown off the puck on a pp. Not acceptable!!!!!

Hank

RR for the matchups that are only on him.

Rocks

Gergs

Miller Great game

Meh

Vanek

Ott

Get off my team

Porter

Flynn

Get on my team

Zadorov

Foligno

Armia

Figure it out. I'm shot.

Sabres have 7 PP's and get outshot 34-20. That is poor. Very very poor.

It is time to flush Regier and his clown act out of Buffalo...and I won't be taking anything this franchise does seriously until he is gone.

And yeah Tyler Myers is a trainwreck. He needs to go ASAP

This is what I saw from the game.

-Ott-Ennis-Leino line was absolutely brutal. Ennis just isn't a center. He doesn't mesh with his line mates or elevate their play. Leino was terrible tonight.

-Kevin Porter is still manly.

-Everything d4rk said about Stafford is true.

-There was clear interference on the Datsyuk goal.

-Risto had a rough game.

-Girgensons and Grigorenko both looked pretty good.

I am unhappy with Rolston scratching Larsson to roll a roster with no defensive centers.

Sabres have 7 PP's and get outshot 34-20. That is poor. Very very poor.

It is time to flush Regier and his clown act out of Buffalo...and I won't be taking anything this franchise does seriously until he is gone.

And yeah Tyler Myers is a trainwreck. He needs to go ASAP

Did you actually watch the game? What did Myers do that was so bad?

Some interesting stats:

• Cody: 23:32 minutes, second only to Ehrhoff
  • He also took 30 faceoffs (lost 18) Ott was next taking 14, winning five.
  • Pysyk and Risto got more PK time than any other defencemen
  • 21 hits, Ott led with five, Detroit had 13
  • Only nine Sabre giveaways the entire game — Ehrhoff was the only guy with 2. Detroit had nine as well.
  • Your eyes didn't deceive you about the offence — the Sabres only directed 32 shots at Howard, Detroit blocked 8, four missed.
  • Thirteen different Sabres had at least 30 seconds of PK time. One not among them? Tyler Myers, who still had more than 23 minutes total.
  • The starting five on the power play averaged about eight minutes PP time and had a combined four PP shots.

Will these be trends under Rolston?

My thoughts:

That was one boring game by the good guys. B-O-R-I-N-G which is an anagram for R-O-L-S-T-O-N in someone's language.

They are what we thought they were.

Two 5-3 and no goals, you deserve to lose.

No flow, no chemistry yet.

2-1 loss, opening night, aint terrible

Miller played well enough to get a W.

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford were suffocated by Zetterburg-Datsuyk-Abdelkader and this is where the game was lost.

My thoughts:

That was one boring game by the good guys. B-O-R-I-N-G which is an anagram for R-O-L-S-T-O-N in someone's language.

They are what we thought they were.

Two 5-3 and no goals, you deserve to lose.

No flow, no chemistry yet.

2-1 loss, opening night, aint terrible

Miller played well enough to get a W.

Vanek-Hodgson-Stafford were suffocated by Zetterburg-Datsuyk-Abeldekar and this is where the game was lost.

To the bolded: What?

Ennis is starting his 5th pro season in the organization, and the club isn't sure of is role. It shows.

Slight correction, this is Ennis' fourth season, the year most NHLers break out - if they break out at all.

My thoughts on the game:

It was obvious from the get-go that we were playing a better team. I didn't need the two 5-on-3 fiascoes to bring home that point.

We showed some moxey after we lulled Detroit into a coma after they took the lead, and deserved to score at least one. (Glad it was Zemgus!)

Their superiority was obvious when they suddenly woke up at the end and realized the game might be in jeopardy. After pulling our goalie, we couldn't even get it into their end!

Over all, a good effort against a superior team. The score looked good, anyways.

It's only one game, but:

Grigorenko showed nothing. He does have a good shot, but is careless with the puck and is not strong along the boards.

For someone finally healthy, Leino was awful. He played better last year when he was hurt!

Ennis needs to realize that he not alone out there and begin to use his line mates. I'm sure his game will improve.

I thought Myers played well, as did Risto, Pysyk, Zemgus, Miller, and Ehrhoff. Not without error of course, but well enough for a first game.

Let's see what happens Friday.

Good points:

Miller, defense, good looking rookies, second half of second period, Penalty kill

Bad things:

Power Play, passing, offensive lines with not enough chemistry, inability to create great scoring chances.

Our powerplay was so uninspired, and is still not able to make successful zone entries on regular basis.

If we can improve the first three mentioned bad things we are a good hockey team. Detroit only won 2:1, so there is a lot to build on.

The powerplay looks AWFUL and did anyone else notice how the defenseman skates the puck to center ice and does a drop pass EVERY TIME and eavh and every time they did it didnt work!!!! STOP DOING IT THEN! I understand that it was obviously taught to make them do that and whatever coach though it would buy the puck carrier the space to enter the zone but it didnt at all. Also the reason that Vanek is so good in front of the net is because when he was a rookie that was the only position to play him on the powerplay. We had great veterans to put around him. Now that he is the goal scoring veteran it is time to put a rookie in front of the net and let Vanek create!!!!

Ennis turning into that player that everytime he gets the puck I yell at the tv. Reminds me of how much I hated Afinogenov. Him and Leino on same line will never work.

I will say it for the hundred time. It is an absolute atrocity that this team was allowed to reach this level. Even bigger atrocity that the man who put us here is being allowed to get us out of it.

Yes it's only one game. But anyone who knows hockey can tell you this team sucks. And will suck for quite some time. You take Vanek, Miller, and Ott off this team and it could be one of the worst in history. Prospects or no prospects.

Archived