GDT: SEASON OPENER, Buffalo Sabres at Detroit Red Wings, 10/2/2013, 8:00pm

darksabre

Game thoughts:

* I spent the front half of the game thinking all those fears of horrid ineptitude leading to the worst season ever were going to be true.

* I liked the way we battled in the back half; it gives me hope for improvement.

* ###### does Detroit play good hockey; active sticks, clean passes, no time, no space for our guys at all.

* Terrible giveaway by Risto on the Datsyuk goal but I really like how it seemed to piss him off and inspire him to try to raise his level of play; kid looks like a competitor.

* PK looked good; Our power play looks like five strangers who just got off five different red-eyes.

* Grigorenko, Flynn and Girgensons weren't nearly as bad as I feared; excellent speed and hustle by Flynn on the goal.

* I'm not among those who despise the man, but please trade Drew Stafford.

* Tyler Ennis is still tying to do too much by himself. Tyler Myers looked safer than last year, but nowhere near where he needs to be if this team is to sneak into the playoff race.

* It really seems like Hodgson looked much stronger in the defensive zone. In the offensive zone, he and Vanek really didn't show much until the end.

* I like how Rolston had Pysyk and Risto out there in all situations, including the penalty kill at the end. That's how this team is going to improve.

* When are the Sabres actually going to learn to apply pressure with the goalie pulled? Damn that was ugly.

:thumbsup:

You could feel Flynns burst of energy when he drove in to pinch off the goalies play; Girgs was money on that shot.

I didn't get to see any of it, but from listening, sounds like we need to stay in position more and not puck chase. At least they didn't ice the puck as much as Detroit! But dang, so happy for Girgs. The whole family there from Latvia and all, what a cool way to commemorate your first night in the NHL. Coulda been worse!

Maybe you should read my post from the second page of the thread. I'll sum it up for you. This team is bad, like all time record setting bad. You need to prepare yourself for this. Anything else on your part is nativity. They are seriously lackin talent and what little talent they have needs about 5 years to develop. So sit back, buckle in, it's going to be a bumpy ride for the next couple of seasons.

I'm trying to work out that math, let alone the manger scene.

Maybe you should read my post from the second page of the thread. I'll sum it up for you. This team is bad, like all time record setting bad. You need to prepare yourself for this. Anything else on your part is nativity. They are seriously lackin talent and what little talent they have needs about 5 years to develop. So sit back, buckle in, it's going to be a bumpy ride for the next couple of seasons.

.....And I, for one, welcome our new no.10 overall draft pick.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKbFb6TPVEA

"Record setting bad" after one game against one of the best teams in the league. Sounds like you have a bet on it.

I think it's safe to let a little optimism through tonight, at least enough to say it's just the first game. It's not even "just ONE game", because the first game of the season, especially for rookies, and especially for under 20 y/o rookies, is probably just an overwhelming experience.

I think by game 10 it'll be a little more clear what we have here in this team and maybe what we can expect for the first half of the season.

Between the kids and coach, I think you need to leave room for a pretty aggressive development/maturation/growth/evolution arc and analyze the season in shorter segments.

"Record setting bad" after one game against one of the best teams in the league. Sounds like you have a bet on it.

I did have money on it. Loaded up on Red Wings on Fanduel. Cashing it in as we speak. Good luck following this "good" team throughout the year. I'm going make bank using Sabres opponents all year long.

Funny enough it's not the first time naivety has been autocorrected from my post in this forum. Have at it.

Just busting balls. But if this is not the first time that you have been auto corrected why would you persist? The focus of my post was the obvious difference between 5 years and a couple of years. Still bustin' balls.

Just busting balls. But if this is not the first time that you have been auto corrected why would you persist? The focus of my post was the obvious difference between 5 years and a couple of years. Still bustin' balls.

Urf...I'm drunk. Please excuse lack of comprehension.

They are about where I thought they'd be after their first game. 0-1. To have expected more was a pipe dream but we all knew going in that this was going to be a struggle. Get used to it. Nice to see Z girgenson lead this team in scoring.

Tonight was about our kids competing against their men. I think we did okay. I wasn't that impressed with Detroit.

I can't wait for the day when one of our players can hogtie someone the way Weber was to create the space needed for Detroit's second goal and get away with it. I think that day will come.

Right now it's a tie for who I am the least impressed with, Leino or Stafford. I would take anyone else on the team first. I'm waiting until ten games to make a decision.

Oh, and I was wrong. NBC is AWFUL!!!!!! I couldn't understand anything any of the announcers were saying because they were constantly choking on Detroit's shaft while trying to lick the taint.

I'm all for holding back judging these guys....but one thing....Detroit was a Columbus choke away from missing the playoffs last year.

Too true. I kept wanting to give Detroit credit because they just looked to be on another level.

But these aren't Nick Lidstrom's Red Wings, even if our forwards sure made them look that way.

Too true. I kept wanting to give Detroit credit because they just looked to be on another level.

But these aren't Nick Lidstrom's Red Wings, even if our forwards sure made them look that way.

The Red Wings are still good though. Their rookies have melded well and they added Alfie. They should have a better year than last year.

Archived