rickshaw

Kaleta Should He stay or go?  

89 members have voted

1. 1. Kaleta

• Trade him?
    • Keep him?
    • Keep him only if he cleans up his act?

Kaleta could go, I could care less.

Yes he brings a PK quality, many teams have players like this.

Yes he draws penalties, many teams have players like this.

Yes he plays with blood and guts, some teams have a player like this.

Yes he takes penalties that are unnecessary, some teams have a player like this.

Yes he doesn't answer the bell when called upon, some teams have a player like this.

He's expendable, not disposable.

He can be replaced[ with a smarter player for sure, but as for now he serves a purpose, we keep him until a better option emerges.

Pretty much where I stand. Wouldd like to see a better player in that role. Until they have him, I like the local kid. Would love his play if he could limit the boneheadedness.

If Kaleta wasn't already a Sabre I doubt anyone would give him any consideration. He's here, he already has the uniform and equipment so they might as well keep him. He's not a player that is going to make or break this franchise by his presence or lack there of. By the time this franchise is ready to really compete, Kaleta will likely be part of a 'Where are they now" article.

If Kaleta wasn't already a Sabre I doubt anyone would give him any consideration. He's here, he already has the uniform and equipment so they might as well keep him. He's not a player that is going to make or break this franchise by his presence or lack there of. By the time this franchise is ready to really compete, Kaleta will likely be part of a 'Where are they now" article.

And yet you thought Thornton was a key to the Bruins.

And yet you thought Thornton was a key to the Bruins.

Different player in a different situation.

Yea, he's a worse player on a better team.

Not that this is related but I'd take both on my 4th line.

Wait. I'm confused now. :blink: Is it that Thornton is worse than Kaleta on a better team? Thornton is better than Kaleta on a worse team? Or is it Kaleta is better than Thornton on a worse team? Or Kaleta is worse Thornton on worse team? The season hasn't even started yet and we don't really know what we're going to be dealing with this right here is giving me mixed signals! :w00t: I'll go with better on a worse team. Whew, feeling better now. Kaleta, I mean.

There are times when Kaleta tries to do too much and winds up delivering a borderline hit. Then, there are times when he doesn't do enough (like being challenged and not dropping them because he doesn't want to take a penalty for instigating). For an "emotion" guy, sometimes he thinks too much.

For those who remember, the old Broad Street Bullies had a player much like Kaleta: Dave "The Hammer" Schultz. (Who actually wound up as a Sabre later in his career). His style of play was to hit anything that wore an opposing team sweater. The difference is that whenever Schultz was challenged to a fight, he never backed down even if it was a guy who had 4 inches and 25 pounds on him. Now, I know this was pre-instigator rule, but you knew that if you even looked at Schultz the wrong way, the gloves would come off and your face was going to hurt very soon.

Kaleta needs to take fewer bad penalties (watch those hits from behind) and drop the gloves more often. He is a very good fighter, and I think if he dropped them even just a little more, other teams would give him a wider berth. He has the bonus of being a very good penalty killer. Schultz managed to score a goal here and there, but his real skill (and the reason he was on the team) was to be, well, the Hammer.

Is that 3 penalties kaleta has drawn already tonight? That guy is 100 percent heart and we are asking if he is needed? Man o man. This thread drives me nuts.

If we had a PP who could cash some of the penalties he draws, I don't think we'd be having this discussion.

That said, I think Kaleta's value to this team is more a reflection of how soft the team has been the past years, than Kaleta filling a specific gap.

There are times when Kaleta tries to do too much and winds up delivering a borderline hit. Then, there are times when he doesn't do enough (like being challenged and not dropping them because he doesn't want to take a penalty for instigating). For an "emotion" guy, sometimes he thinks too much.

For those who remember, the old Broad Street Bullies had a player much like Kaleta: Dave "The Hammer" Schultz. (Who actually wound up as a Sabre later in his career). His style of play was to hit anything that wore an opposing team sweater. The difference is that whenever Schultz was challenged to a fight, he never backed down even if it was a guy who had 4 inches and 25 pounds on him. Now, I know this was pre-instigator rule, but you knew that if you even looked at Schultz the wrong way, the gloves would come off and your face was going to hurt very soon.

Kaleta needs to take fewer bad penalties (watch those hits from behind) and drop the gloves more often. He is a very good fighter, and I think if he dropped them even just a little more, other teams would give him a wider berth. He has the bonus of being a very good penalty killer. Schultz managed to score a goal here and there, but his real skill (and the reason he was on the team) was to be, well, the Hammer.

I doubt he would be called for instigating if someone else challenged him.

I am in the keep him camp. Year after year fans (including some on this board) complain about this team having no heart. Well you can never say that about Kaleta. He plays tough and hands out more than he gets. He's fearless and you can tell he's thrilled to be a Sabre and to have a chance to play the sport he loves.

Gee...I wonder what would happen if some other players on this team (Stafford) felt and acted the same way?

This is the kind of player Buffalo loves to cheer for.

• 3 weeks later...

I voted in favor for keep because of the heart, energy & toughness he brings to this team, he is a good penalty killer & draws plenty of penalties along with getting in the heads of opposing players (always loved when he took Kovalchuk off his game). Yes he does need to clean it up to an extent because his rep does hurt us in terms of stuff like this or with the refs during games but I can tolerate that.

Just can't see how he wouldn't have a place on the roster when there are plenty of others offering way less than he does. Also take away Kaleta do you really want to make this team less watchable than they already are?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.