All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

Keep it up, Ink. How does Rudy look?

Nothing of consequence just another guy so far. He hasn't stood out in a bad way either.

Rudy scores on a 5 on 3. He and McNabb trade spots on the backed giving Rudy the wide side on his forehand. Nothing spectacular but smart.

Ruhwedal leading a 3-2 break, beats the goalie on an ordinary wrister.

4-1

Americans’ defensive tandem of McNabb, Ruhwedel looking to grow into NHL defensemen

After a slow start to the 2013-14 season, the Rochester Americans seem to have righted the ship heading into November. A big part of their recent success has been two defensemen that are poised to play at the next level in the very near future.

After finishing his third season with UMass-Lowell, Chad Ruhwedel made the jump straight to the NHL last season, finishing the year in Buffalo with the Sabres. In seven games in April, 2013, Ruhwedel went scoreless with an even plus/minus rating.

This season, after the Buffalo Sabres drafted two defensemen in the first round of the 2013 NHL Draft, Ruhwedel finds himself beginning his first full professional season in the American Hockey League (AHL) with the Americans. With two goals and four assists in his last six games, adjusting to the pro game will be key for Ruhwedel if he wants to make it to the NHL.

Brayden McNabb, entering his third year of professional hockey, appeared in 25 games with the NHL Sabres during his rookie season in 2011-12, but has since been in the AHL with the Americans. Coming off a 36-point season (5G-31A) in the AHL last year, McNabb is looking to fine tune his two-way game to make a push for the NHL if injuries or trades within the blue line corps arise during the course of the season. McNabb is also putting up points as of late, with 10 points (2G-8A) in his last seven games.

So far this season, Ruhwedel and McNabb have been the top pairing for the Americans.

Forgetting about Sabres has helped Amerks star Luke Adam find AHL game again

Whatever’s going on with the Buffalo Sabres right now, well, Luke Adam doesn’t care about it. Whatever general manager Darcy Regier or coach Ron Rolston are saying, the 23-year-old Rochester Americans winger isn’t worried about it.

“I’m not focused on what the Sabres are doing,” Adam said Tuesday inside Bill Gray’s Iceplex. “Frankly, I don’t care what’s going on up there, what people are saying or how everything’s going.”

Adam, whose scorching eight-goal, 12-point start has made him one of the AHL’s hottest players through nine games, has successfully been concentrating on two things this season.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

2 things. First is that I really have to root for Luke Adam. He came up and outplayed himself and that is why he slid back to the AHL in part. He also simply wasn't NHL ready. I hope someday he does make it permanent but I don't know if that will happen. Second I like seeing McNabb involved and doing well down in the AHL because he too came up and played good for a little bit but I think he needed more AHL seasoning. I still think he could be a decent 3/4 defender given time. Glad to see both players doing good.

Clean? That looks like a textbook definition of a blindside hit to me.
That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure which way the wind is blowing, is blindside OK as long as you don't get the head?

Even on the Scott hit on Eriksson, Shanahan said in the DoPS video that Eriksson "was eligible to be checked". This hit is fine to my eye since the guy had the puck just outside the blueline and the hit was not to the head. It's just a clean, hard body check designed to separate the player from the puck.

That's what I was thinking. I'm not sure which way the wind is blowing, is blindside OK as long as you don't get the head?

This is a classic case of a suicide pass. McNabb had already read the play and was moving to hit the Hamilton player when the pass came to him while he was looking for it.

Bad play by the Hamilton defenseman of not recognizing that the player he wanted to pass to was going to get dumped.

@kevinoDandC

#Amerks injury update after today's optional skate: (in two tweets) Joel Armia (hand, out since #Sabres camp): could play by Nov. 15-16.

Sitting at last nights game it's painfully obvious, an with obvious reasons, that the Amerks have no forward prospects. Luke Adam is a complete mystery at this point and after that its Catanacci and pretty much nobody unless you really want to stretch and count Colin Jacobs, Kevin Sundher and Phil Varone.

So getting Armia and Kaleta (for different reasons) will make for an interesting team.

This is a classic case of a suicide pass. McNabb had already read the play and was moving to hit the Hamilton player when the pass came to him while he was looking for it.

Bad play by the Hamilton defenseman of not recognizing that the player he wanted to pass to was going to get dumped.

It would be a suicide pass if he hits him from the front. He hit him from behind. See Campbell v. Umberger for the textbook definition of a suicide pass.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.