All about the Rochester Amerks 13-14

LabattBlue

My guess is that Rhuwedel is about the 10th best of last years class.

Would that be just college free agent class? 10th best D man? How large is that particular class on average year to year (D or all)?

Just curious; I have been meaning to figure out some sort of rank for Ruhwedel for my own edification.

Would that be just college free agent class? 10th best D man? How large is that particular class on average year to year (D or all)?

Just curious; I have been meaning to figure out some sort of rank for Ruhwedel for my own edification.

There were at least three highly thought of defenseman last year most notably Dekeyser from Detroit and the kid from Tampa whose name escapes me. We all saw what Jrug did for Boston in the the playoffs last year.

By most accounts, Ruhwedel and Schaller who Buffalo also signed, were ranked between 10 and 20 by most experts of last years college free agents. We both know they are not always right so who knows.

• 2 weeks later...

@kevinoDandC

John Wroblewski has been added to the #Amerks coaching staff, per his old ECHL team of Gwinnett.

@kevinoDandC

New #Amerks asst. coach John Wroblewski shared ECHL coach-of-the-year award in 2011-12. Was assistant with NTDP in 2009-10 (tie to Cassidy).

Official word from the Amerks:

@AmerksHockey

John Wroblewski will join Head Coach Chadd Cassidy, Asst. Coach Chris Taylor, and Goaltending Coach Bob Janosz. MORE: http://amerks.com/newsX.asp?type=News&aID=792 …

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

I think the majority of this board quietly hopes Flynn is in Rochester next year because more hyped prospects have taken his job.

I don't think that will happen and not necessarily because the big-name guys flopped.

Exactly, if the team has room for Flynn, it's not a good team.

I like his hustle, but at this point we need more than just hustle.

Exactly, if the team has room for Flynn, it's not a good team.

I like his hustle, but at this point we need more than just hustle.

I disagree. Flynn has had 1 year in the AHL coming out of college and he came into Buffalo and was someone who was able to have some production with limited ice time. I'd like to see more of him in Buffalo but if he spends a good portion of the year in Rochester that is fine too.

I disagree. Flynn has had 1 year in the AHL coming out of college and he came into Buffalo and was someone who was able to have some production with limited ice time. I'd like to see more of him in Buffalo but if he spends a good portion of the year in Rochester that is fine too.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Flynn came in and played poorly, I'm just saying that with the current prospects "depth chart", we're in trouble if Flynn is still ahead of some of these kids, as it means we're nowhere closer to bringing the them along than last year.

If Grigs and Larsson aren't ahead of him on the depth chart, things are going to be painful to watch, I'm afraid.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying Flynn came in and played poorly, I'm just saying that with the current prospects "depth chart", we're in trouble if Flynn is still ahead of some of these kids, as it means we're nowhere closer to bringing the them along than last year.

If Grigs and Larsson aren't ahead of him on the depth chart, things are going to be painful to watch, I'm afraid.

Both of those players don't play RW. So I would assume that on the RW depth chart Flynn is higher up. If we were talking about Flynn being a C/LW then yes but he plays a different position.

Let us take a look at the Sabres depth chart:

LW: Vanek, Leino, Ott, Foligno, Larsson?

C: Hodgson, Ennis, Grigorenko, Girgensons, Larsson, Porter

RW: Stafford, Armia?, Kaleta?, Tropp?, Flynn?

I am not sure this is right but it seems like it must be close

Both of those players don't play RW. So I would assume that on the RW depth chart Flynn is higher up. If we were talking about Flynn being a C/LW then yes but he plays a different position.

I would expect Leino to switch to wing, so.... WTF am I thinking, I'd rather have Flynn there than Leino..... :flirt:

Regardless of how the depth chart ends up being ordered, this year is very likely to be painful to watch. Even if the kids beat out Flynn, they're kids, and not kids of the blue chip variety either.

• 3 weeks later...

Didn't see this posted, but the AHL schedule was released: http://theahl.com/st...ay=&division_id=

• Opener (Grand Rapids at Rochester) coincides with the Sabres' home opener Fri Oct 4.
  • Sabres and Amerks BOTH home on BOTH Wed and Fri of Thanksgiving weekend.
  • They're trying to give us a reason to go to the Bills game in Toronto by having Toronto host the Amerks that Saturday night, Nov. 30 (Sabres in NJ that night).
  • Friday Dec. 13 Outdoor Game at Frontier Field
  • Amerks are off 12/22 - 1/2 for the Spengler Cup in Sweden (Home game Friday Dec. 20 for those out-of-towners like me, trying to catch a game over the holiday)

Also,

The Houston Aeros relocated to Des Moines, Iowa and became the Iowa Wild but remained affiliated to the Minnesota Wild. The franchise previously known as the Peoria Rivermen relocated to Utica, New York and changed their name to the Comets.

(wikipedia)

• 3 weeks later...

I saw the following posted at the end of Vogl's article re: Kaleta:

The Sabres also broke their practice sessions into three groups, and one could easily be considered the Rochester Americans. It consisted of Peter Trainor, Jonathan Parker, Johnny McGuire, Alex Lepkowski, Kevin Sundher, Shawn Szydlowski, Colin Jacobs, Eric Locke, Frederick Roy, Matt MacKenzie, Brady Austin and Nick Crawford.

Does anyone know if the "Johnny McGuire" mentioned above is the same one who logged 27 fights two years back with Erie in the OHL? If so, he's had a few scraps with some top end prospects/tough guys, plus Zadorov and Lepkowski to name a few. Interesting invite if the Amerks are looking for muscle.

I saw the following posted at the end of Vogl's article re: Kaleta:

The Sabres also broke their practice sessions into three groups, and one could easily be considered the Rochester Americans. It consisted of Peter Trainor, Jonathan Parker, Johnny McGuire, Alex Lepkowski, Kevin Sundher, Shawn Szydlowski, Colin Jacobs, Eric Locke, Frederick Roy, Matt MacKenzie, Brady Austin and Nick Crawford.

Does anyone know if the "Johnny McGuire" mentioned above is the same one who logged 27 fights two years back with Erie in the OHL? If so, he's had a few scraps with some top end prospects/tough guys, plus Zadorov and Lepkowski to name a few. Interesting invite if the Amerks are looking for muscle.

Yup. That's him. He signed an AHL contract last Thursday with the Amerks. Was playing for Oshawa Generals in the OHL last year.

Yup. That's him. He signed an AHL contract last Thursday with the Amerks. Was playing for Oshawa Generals in the OHL last year.

Interesting pickup for the Amerks. He's not the biggest guy, but there are some great clips out there of him battling much bigger guys (like Tinordi) and handling himself really well.

Some Johnny McGuire clips...

vs. Jared Tinordi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=YIo5V06Zk44

Another bout with Tinordi

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Yz9uqUYExxc

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

More evidence that McCormick will not be an Amerk this season.

Yes and no. If Cody is sent down (assuming he'd clear waviers) he wouldn't have the same role in Rochester that he would have in Buffalo. He'd be counted on to play PP, PK, and probably be a top-6 forward, not just counted on to play a physical game (which, barring injuries, is all he's asked to do in Buffalo). That said, I hope he does stick in Buffalo all year.

McGuire is replacing Tarnasky. Plus, it means they don't have to waste a veteran roster spot on a tough guy (which, IIRC Tarnasky was).

Edited by ChileanSeaBass

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.