The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Every time I watch one of Jo's trapeze routines, I'm in awe of how incredibly strong you both need to be to pull off those moves! Amazing.

Meanwhile I took out my bike for the first time since last fall on Sunday and rode for about 2 hours, and all day yesterday my stupid knees hurt. I'm turning into an old person, dammit. :( How is it that I can go snowboarding for 4 hours or hike 10 miles over 6 hours and be fine, but 2 hours on a bike hurts?

I can play golf all day, hit the gym for an hour, play softball all night and not have a single ache. 45 minutes sitting on a bike and my tuchas does not feel very well.

I can play golf all day, hit the gym for an hour, play softball all night and not have a single ache. 45 minutes sitting on a bike and my tuchas does not feel very well.

That too, lol... but that I at least expected!  I'll never understand how people can ride for hours and hours, multiple days in a row.  I need a few days inbetween to recover, haha.

I participated in extreme mountain biking back in the day up until my spinal fusion 14 yrs ago. Got back into some off trail stuff 4-5 years post op but had to go with a wide seat. Maybe my tween was out of shape but I'd sooner think that I was becoming "chronologically up." Still have that 25 yr old Mongoose in the barn.

Every time I watch one of Jo's trapeze routines, I'm in awe of how incredibly strong you both need to be to pull off those moves! Amazing.

Meanwhile I took out my bike for the first time since last fall on Sunday and rode for about 2 hours, and all day yesterday my stupid knees hurt. I'm turning into an old person, dammit. :( How is it that I can go snowboarding for 4 hours or hike 10 miles over 6 hours and be fine, but 2 hours on a bike hurts?

I'm still in great shape for a dude my age but I'll openly admit that 2 hrs on a bike would cause me all sorts of anguish.

I participated in extreme mountain biking back in the day up until my spinal fusion 14 yrs ago. Got back into some off trail stuff 4-5 years post op but had to go with a wide seat. Maybe my tween was out of shape but I'd sooner think that I was becoming "chronologically ###### up." Still have that 25 yr old Mongoose in the barn.

If I'm not muddy at the end of my ride, I did not do it right.

25 year old mongoose, huh? Who do you think you are, Bart Taylor? (over/under is 1.5 persons gets that reference)

I participated in extreme mountain biking back in the day up until my spinal fusion 14 yrs ago. Got back into some off trail stuff 4-5 years post op but had to go with a wide seat. Maybe my tween was out of shape but I'd sooner think that I was becoming "chronologically ###### up." Still have that 25 yr old Mongoose in the barn.

I'm still in great shape for a dude my age but I'll openly admit that 2 hrs on a bike would cause me all sorts of anguish.

You guys are making me feel a little better, lol... glad it's not just me!  Doohickie must have the knee and butt equivalent of ink's calves.

Edited by biodork

If I'm not muddy at the end of my ride, I did not do it right.

25 year old mongoose, huh? Who do you think you are, Bart Taylor? (over/under is 1.5 persons gets that reference)

Remember Mongoose pre Walmart? Paid a ton for the bike. Worth every penny. Replaced rims several times but the things I made that bike do are unbelievable. Rims and a new front sprocket. Only replacement parts I ever needed.

I was too poor for bmx when that came out. I still tried it on my sweet banana seat bike though.

Remember Mongoose pre Walmart? Paid a ton for the bike. Worth every penny. Replaced rims several times but the things I made that bike do are unbelievable. Rims and a new front sprocket. Only replacement parts I ever needed.

I was too poor for bmx when that came out. I still tried it on my sweet banana seat bike though.

I remember seeing mongoose and schwinn bikes in Walmart a few years ago and remembered how much they cost at bike shops when I was a kid.

• 2 weeks later...

I've turned into a weekend warrior, and last weekend was definitely the most I've ever hiked in back-to-back days; Sat. was 7.2 miles with about 2400 ft in elevation gain, and Sunday was 11.2 miles with about 3600 ft in elevation gain.  By Sunday evening my calves were killing me (oh, to have Ink's super powers!), so definitely taking it easier this week to recover a bit, lol.

Do hot flashes from a trade announcement count?

????

The 18 miles I did today left me on the verge of heat exhaustion. It was "only" mid-90s but with the heat index it was 107. Kind of surprised me how much it got to me.

Oof... I don't know how you ride in that kind of weather!

Couldn't see much at the top last Sat.

post-1683-0-74783500-1498880737_thumb.jpg

Sunday's weather was a lot better (and warmer!)

post-1683-0-21513400-1498880817_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

A couple of good rides this weekend.  I had Friday off and took my 1966 Raleigh 3-speed out for a 40 miler.  It was supposed to be 25 miles originally but the weather was great on the outbound leg.  Then..... the sun came out and I got home extra crispy.  Note the lack of shadows in this pic from early in the ride:

19983554_1343210892394464_84245678870797

Then the clouds broke:

20155816_1343235349058685_10451473652003

The new Airfield Falls Conservation Area features a butterfly garden:

19989441_1343235495725337_50474843727986

A random traffic circle in a nice older neighborhood:

20017800_1344639235584963_56864231396806

Then another 40+ miles today.  The local air base opens their runways once a year to cycles.  The whole journey from the gate to the runaways, two full laps, and return to the gate was 12 miles.  (Plus there was to and from the ride from my house.)  This is the airfield that Airfield Falls (previous post) is named for.

That's me on the far right.
19989735_1344632425585644_76277771333218

20116771_1344632455585641_58510568470089

Me in the yellow helmet:
20031727_1349080635170376_21898979819006

This ride is an annual event but it's the first time I made it out there.  If you've never ridden on an active runway, let me tell you they are very smooth and clean.

Edited by Doohickie

Josie, I know two women who are interested in taking trapeze classes.  Where will you be teaching?

Up! Aerial Fitness. 

It's on W Delavan in the old school there. Classes start up first week of August, sessions the second week. 

If they've never taken any aerial before, I'm the class for them! They'll learn a bit of hoop and trapeze in my class.

If they're experienced, I'd recommend my friend Christina at Bird's Nest- she's into dance trapeze and very talented and sweet.

We will also be having a workshop at my place that's 100% trapeze and all levels August 19. 

Wrapped up spring soccer season tonight. 90 degrees and about 99% humidity. We played two men down against the best team in our league as only nine guys showed up. And the other team is full of jerks who won't even the sides up in a damn 35 and over rec league. Absolute gym class heroes. Took a deflected shot square on the nose, couldn't get my hands up in time. Bastard who shot it put the rebound in too. Still, we kept it to 5-0. Respectable, all things considered.

In possibly related news, my face hurts...

Wrapped up spring soccer season tonight. 90 degrees and about 99% humidity. We played two men down against the best team in our league as only nine guys showed up. And the other team is full of jerks who won't even the sides up in a damn 35 and over rec league. Absolute gym class heroes. Took a deflected shot square on the nose, couldn't get my hands up in time. Bastard who shot it put the rebound in too. Still, we kept it to 5-0. Respectable, all things considered.

In possibly related news, my face hurts...

See, that's the worst thing about soccer...

If you play that team in hockey, at least you can knock them on their ass. Or at the very least slash em in the back of the legs. Or, my personal favorite, break the centermans stick on the face off.

Been working on the new studio. Turns out I'm teaching a 30 min. workshop in addition to performing at our grand opening next Saturday. Hoo boy. 

Screwed up my tailbone and ankle with a misadventure in trying to skate again, but didn't stop me from learning chains last week. Did pretty well for not having done anything besides chinups and planks since late May! 

snIcMHI.jpg

aphDVnq.jpg

HQsypTU.jpg

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.