The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Spent a long weekend in Crested Butte, CO. Pics can't do it justice, but the wildflowers and vistas were incredible. Yesterday we did the West Maroon Trail from Gothic up to Maroon Pass, which should have been an 8 mile hike but ended up closer to 15 after we parked a whole lot further from the trailhead than we intended (oops). Spent about 7 hours on the trail, but it sure was pretty and apart from a brief rainstorm, gorgeous weather.

Children's parties.

We do kids birthday parties at the studio, and we can theme them either just aerial, superhero or princess. 

I had two workshops on Saturday followed by an aerial birthday party, about 12 kids. It was exhausting.

But then. Sunday. A superhero party. 16 kids. 16 hyperactive 8 year olds. We cap parties at 12 but... that didn't happen this time, and we didn't have a third instructor available. And this one idiot couple with the most nuclear child also had an 18 mo. old that they just let wander around in the middle of it. Flying kids, feet everywhere, lots of potential catastrophes and there's this baby waddling around. "Excuse me, you might want to grab her, she's going to get hit" "Oh it's ok, she's durable" *proceeds to roll their fu*king stroller and walk their dirty shoes all over our mats despite our protestations*

I was holding one rambunctious, fairly hefty boy upside down as he ignored my instructions while also trying to scoop the damn baby out of the way of his feet... 

Now that was a goddamn workout. 

So I'm trying to step up and walk to work every day since it's only a mile, with the goal being that I want to walk during the winter because it seems like a total waste to warm my car up and clean it off. As with anything, developing the habit is the first step.

Problem is, logistics is way more annoying than you'd expect. You have to dress for the weather, which can be extremely variable here. I can't show up at work looking like a wet rat. I've decided I'm carrying my work clothes in a backpack and changing at work. So I have to carry my shoes (unless I decide to leave them at work). But then maybe I want to have gym shoes to workout after work (on site). Also gym clothes (which at the moment can overlap with my walking clothes).

I also have to fit lunch in there, a problem I currently solve by bringing my lunches for the week in on Monday, but that'll take up too much space.

I'm somewhat set on winter stuff, but I definitely lack good rain gear.

I dunno how you do it, Doohickie!

It's all about what you commit to. I don't know how people can hike around the mountains at altitude. I just feel like that would kill me.

So I'm trying to step up and walk to work every day since it's only a mile, with the goal being that I want to walk during the winter because it seems like a total waste to warm my car up and clean it off. As with anything, developing the habit is the first step.

Problem is, logistics is way more annoying than you'd expect. You have to dress for the weather, which can be extremely variable here. I can't show up at work looking like a wet rat. I've decided I'm carrying my work clothes in a backpack and changing at work. So I have to carry my shoes (unless I decide to leave them at work). But then maybe I want to have gym shoes to workout after work (on site). Also gym clothes (which at the moment can overlap with my walking clothes).

I also have to fit lunch in there, a problem I currently solve by bringing my lunches for the week in on Monday, but that'll take up too much space.

I commuted by bike for a few years. You'll figure all that stuff out, it just takes some time and practice (and a few mistakes along the way).  One thing I would recommend is if you don't have a shower at work, take some baby wipes.  I used to take a shower at home, ride to work, cool down for a few minutes, then use the baby wipes on the sweaty bits and put on my deodorant.  It seemed to work pretty well.

It's all about what you commit to. I don't know how people can hike around the mountains at altitude. I just feel like that would kill me.

I commuted by bike for a few years. You'll figure all that stuff out, it just takes some time and practice (and a few mistakes along the way). One thing I would recommend is if you don't have a shower at work, take some baby wipes. I used to take a shower at home, ride to work, cool down for a few minutes, then use the baby wipes on the sweaty bits and put on my deodorant. It seemed to work pretty well.

Yeah, we have showers at the gym, but I don't expect a mile walk to mess me up too bad. I walked today and it was fine. A nice comfortable 60 degrees.

You're right, I'll figure it out a little at a time. I just don't want to hit the rainy fall days and throw in the towel.

Edited by d4rksabre

It's not all that bad, but there's definitely a lot of truth to this:

attachicon.giftheStruggleIsReal.jpg

Yeah, that's like every bike ride.  The panther ride above was led by a pretty fast rider.  I had trouble keeping up.  Then I had to ride home 10 miles after the ride finished.  Although it wasn't the case yesterday typically the wind is in my face for the ride home, and "Swear you'll never do something this miserable again" resonates with me, especially in the winter when I'm heading into a 30 mph "breeze" and it's 35 degrees and drizzling.  But then I get home and it's like reaching the summit and I think, "Wow, that was awesome!"  Knowing that I'll feel that way when I get home helps me get through those last few miles.

Yeah, we have showers at the gym, but I don't expect a mile walk to mess me up too bad. I walked today and it was fine. A nice comfortable 60 degrees.

You're right, I'll figure it out a little at a time. I just don't want to hit the rainy fall days and throw in the towel.

You still might consider applying your deodorant after you get to work.  It seems to squash any nascent odor.

Yeah, that's like every bike ride.  The panther ride above was led by a pretty fast rider.  I had trouble keeping up.  Then I had to ride home 10 miles after the ride finished.  Although it wasn't the case yesterday typically the wind is in my face for the ride home, and "Swear you'll never do something this miserable again" resonates with me, especially in the winter when I'm heading into a 30 mph "breeze" and it's 35 degrees and drizzling.  But then I get home and it's like reaching the summit and I think, "Wow, that was awesome!"  Knowing that I'll feel that way when I get home helps me get through those last few miles.

You still might consider applying your deodorant after you get to work.  It seems to squash any nascent odor.

Believe it or not, I'm not a smelly guy. I can almost get away with showering every other day. And I use that high test Mitchum stuff. 

Fortunately it's just not as hot here as it is where you are. If I was in your neck of the woods I think I'd be showering at work. 

Absolutely... I'm usually doing it for the views, because the hike itself can be unenjoyable at times.  The summits are usually still fairly cold and windy even in the summer, so you're sweating on the way up and freezing at the top.  But it is awfully pretty, and the only way to see it is to suffer a little (or a lot).

I have a set of Froggs Toggs that I have used on the motorcycle for years (Road Toad model). They have some warts on the bike with water pooling up in my lap, but for walking they'd be awesome. They work at 70+ MPH, so they should handle the weather. Couple them with a waterproof hat and you should be golden.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/

(I've seen them at Dick's and maybe Walmart in the past.

I have this hat (it was on sale), and it's been good for a few downpours:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68383?feat=596-GN1&page=l-l-bean-waterproof-trekking-hat&csp=f

I have a set of Froggs Toggs that I have used on the motorcycle for years (Road Toad model). They have some warts on the bike with water pooling up in my lap, but for walking they'd be awesome. They work at 70+ MPH, so they should handle the weather. Couple them with a waterproof hat and you should be golden.

https://www.froggtoggs.com/

(I've seen them at Dick's and maybe Walmart in the past.

I have this hat (it was on sale), and it's been good for a few downpours:

https://www.llbean.com/llb/shop/68383?feat=596-GN1&page=l-l-bean-waterproof-trekking-hat&csp=f

Cool, thanks! It's always good to hear someone vouch for something, there's so many options (and prices) out there. 

Cool, thanks! It's always good to hear someone vouch for something, there's so many options (and prices) out there. 

Now that I think of it, the zipper on my jacket stopped working awhile back (it loves to split randomly in the middle). There are still snaps to close the jacket and that's "good enough" for my use; When some water eventually makes it through it just gets the front of my heavy leather jacket wet. That may be less than ideal if my work clothes were underneath. Then again, odds are you're not going to stress-test the jacket at 70+ MPH for hours either. :)

• 2 weeks later...

As much as you ride, it's hard to believe there's any new territory left for you! Sounds like a perfect day.

It was.  But remember I'm riding to all my rides.  There's an ever-increasing radius that I'm capable to reaching.  There's an ongoing project to link Fort Worth and Dallas via bike trails; I understand a new section is accessible, so that's something else to check out in the near future.

It was.  But remember I'm riding to all my rides.  There's an ever-increasing radius that I'm capable to reaching.  There's an ongoing project to link Fort Worth and Dallas via bike trails; I understand a new section is accessible, so that's something else to check out in the near future.

Fair enough.  Nice that you have so many options available!

Fair enough.  Nice that you have so many options available!

A lot of it has to do with my "toolbox" (techniques for riding and local knowledge) as much as anything.  Some people will only ride on trails and such, I've learned to "mix it up" with traffic.  I don't like to ride on highways, but I'm good with neighborhood streets, feeder roads, busier streets for short distances (to get from one neighborhood to another), plus yeah, I like trails when I get them.

I grew up riding around the Buffalo area (centered in Cheektowaga) in the 1970s when it wasn't so insane to ride around on the streets.  When I started riding as an adult almost 10 years ago, I started where I left off, plus I added to my knowledge, learning tips online at bikeforums.net and commuteorlando.com, as well as learning tips about good routes from other cyclists.  After a while, I've learned the "wormholes" through the city that make hazardous trips much safer.

Edited by Doohickie

A lot of it has to do with my "toolbox" (techniques for riding and local knowledge) as much as anything.  Some people will only ride on trails and such, I've learned to "mix it up" with traffic.  I don't like to ride on highways, but I'm good with neighborhood streets, feeder roads, busier streets for short distances (to get from one neighborhood to another), plus yeah, I like trails when I get them.

I grew up riding around the Buffalo area (centered in Cheektowaga) in the 1970s when it wasn't so insane to ride around on the streets.  When I started riding as an adult almost 10 years ago, I started where I left off, plus I added to my knowledge, learning tips online at bikeforums.net and commuteorlando.com, as well as learning tips about good routes from other cyclists.  After a while, I've learned the "wormholes" through the city that make hazardous trips much safer.

That's definitely good to know. I try to stick to trails because riding on roads makes me nervous where there aren't dedicated bike lanes. Denver has groups actively trying to make the city even more bike-friendly, but it's a slow process and I just don't have the confidence to ride with traffic yet.

If you check out my Strava heatmap, you can see the little lake I posted about above, near the top of the map a bit left of center.  You'll also note very little activity east of I-35W.  I'm starting to hit those areas more frequently.

That's definitely good to know. I try to stick to trails because riding on roads makes me nervous where there aren't dedicated bike lanes. Denver has groups actively trying to make the city even more bike-friendly, but it's a slow process and I just don't have the confidence to ride with traffic yet.

commuteorlando has great tips.  Orlando is hellish for riding bikes.  It's no surprise that a systematic method of riding in traffic was developed there:  It's really needed to ride there.  The people behind commuteorlando also started a course called Cycling Savvy.  They teach in several cities; not sure if they are in Colorado.  They're not very aggressive in making the course available; they basically offer it where they can line up quality instructors.

bikeforums is a massive forum about all things bicycle.  There is a forum for Vehicular Cycling (which is basically what commuteorlando/Cycling Savvy advocates), plus there are forums for virtually ever other aspect of cycling.  Last I checked, they had over 400,000 registered members, several thousand of which actively post.  If you get involved there, you'll probably find a handful of forums you like there and hang out there, getting to know that smaller community (and learning from them).

One other thing that I am a proponent of is using a rearview mirror when riding on the road.  If you're going to be traffic and you're slower than most of the traffic, it's handy to know what's coming up behind you.

One other thing that I am a proponent of is using a rearview mirror when riding on the road.  If you're going to be traffic and you're slower than most of the traffic, it's handy to know what's coming up behind you.

Handlebar or helmet? (I have handlebar right now, in the same place my motorcycle mirror lives so it's familiar. :)

If you check out my Strava heatmap, you can see the little lake I posted about above, near the top of the map a bit left of center.  You'll also note very little activity east of I-35W.  I'm starting to hit those areas more frequently.

commuteorlando has great tips.  Orlando is hellish for riding bikes.  It's no surprise that a systematic method of riding in traffic was developed there:  It's really needed to ride there.  The people behind commuteorlando also started a course called Cycling Savvy.  They teach in several cities; not sure if they are in Colorado.  They're not very aggressive in making the course available; they basically offer it where they can line up quality instructors.

bikeforums is a massive forum about all things bicycle.  There is a forum for Vehicular Cycling (which is basically what commuteorlando/Cycling Savvy advocates), plus there are forums for virtually ever other aspect of cycling.  Last I checked, they had over 400,000 registered members, several thousand of which actively post.  If you get involved there, you'll probably find a handful of forums you like there and hang out there, getting to know that smaller community (and learning from them).

Good stuff -- thanks!

Handlebar or helmet? (I have handlebar right now, in the same place my motorcycle mirror lives so it's familiar. :)

Helmet.  I get nearly a 360-degree view my twisting my head a little.

Interesting. There have been a few times when I've wished I had a mirror, but I wouldn't have thought to mount on my helmet! Will have to check out options.

Interesting. There have been a few times when I've wished I had a mirror, but I wouldn't have thought to mount on my helmet! Will have to check out options.

There are two types of "head mounted" mirrors:  Some mount to the helmet, some to your glasses.  I've had a helmet mounted one for several years but it's about worn out.  I'm considering the kind the mounts to my glasses.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.