The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

D'aw. I haven't done anything particularly cool photo-wise in a while. I've got some videos but those are a pain to upload. 

but seriously... donuts effing rock. I will never willingly delete them from my diet. I have all these awesome apple cider donuts I brought from an orchard in my hometown and I cannot eat them tomorrow or Thursday because of a GI procedure that requires I eat no solid food whatsoever.... They're going to be taunting me. Jo... eat us... ignore the directions... put down your disgusting medicine.... eeaaattt ussss we're delicioussssss 

THEY'RE INSANE AND TAKE FOREVER AND WE ONLY HAVE ONE BATHROOM FOR THE ENTIRE BUILDING AND IT'S AWFUL 

There's a difference between passion and haranguing. 

You share your love of cycling and illustrate it well- you make others want to do it. I was doing that with aerials until I was like, well, this is a board of mostly dudes who'll never do it and really don't care... People like my coworker rub their hobbies in people's faces with an air of superiority that tarnishes whatever sport they're lording over others. 

I can't help it. If someone orders a pizza in or brings in food, she'll go on and on about how she can't have it because it'll screw up her training.. she'll pick off a pinch of pizza crust. I'll just sit there and eat it in front of her. Wouldn't normally, but she's such a jerk about things...

Guys watch more Olympic gymnastics than men's swimming. Just saying.

Yoga ...

Three kids are off and on their own. One remains home, but she's twenty and out with friends more often than not. Twenty five years of schools, sports teams, bands, churches, movies, mini vans and the zoo that is raising a handful of kids has slowed to a crawl. Oh, what to do?

Well when you're 56 and looking to find interesting and new experiences you can explore with the Mrs., yoga's a great idea.

We went to our first class, tonight. Awesome. Oh, sure, I had my moments. I felt the burn, while simply stretching, in muscles that used to send my flying around football, hockey and lacrosse fields and rinks with ease. Time's insidious. It's best mixed with grace.

What a class we had. It ended with quiet relaxation. I fell asleep, started to snore, and awoke startled. The room was giggling. My gracious instructed said "THAT's the way to do it!"

I can't wait until next Sunday.

I am only beginning to explore my body and the philosophy. OooOOoooooOOOoommmmmm!

Awesome. Last Monday started a class with my 18- and 21-year-old daughters.

Their bendability makes me laugh. The hour makes me feel content.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Haven't seen this thread pop up in a little while. 

Still doing aerials, but I mostly teach so I don't get pictures as much. Got to finally base again tonight. My partner here is about the same weight as me but taller. She's easily one of the physically strongest people I've ever met. It's a nice challenge- I usually only base little 120-130 pounders. 

Anyway, yup, her ankles/feet are in my pits and it is a helllll of a hamstring work out for my legs up top. If I unbend those knees at all, we both come falling out! Our studio here in Buffalo has low ceilings, so she can't extend all the way :( 

dWIUF0v.jpg

Haven't seen this thread pop up in a little while. 

Still doing aerials, but I mostly teach so I don't get pictures as much. Got to finally base again tonight. My partner here is about the same weight as me but taller. She's easily one of the physically strongest people I've ever met. It's a nice challenge- I usually only base little 120-130 pounders. 

Anyway, yup, her ankles/feet are in my pits and it is a helllll of a hamstring work out for my legs up top. If I unbend those knees at all, we both come falling out! Our studio here in Buffalo has low ceilings, so she can't extend all the way :( 

dWIUF0v.jpg

#HammyStrong

So last weekend I ran my first 5k while in Athens. Admittedly, I haven't run as much as I want since the move, and I was just coming off a sinus infection. And it was 7:30am. I ran a 23:25, 7 seconds off my personal best. I was happy because it was quite a bit better than I had expected, given the circumstances. But I was also kinda ticked I missed my best by a mere 2 seconds per mile, and I've been beating myself up over it since, hyperanalyzing the run. This is insane, right? :lol:

Kudos to anyone who runs.  I..... can't.  I just can't make myself do it.

I got 34 miles on the bike tonight though.  A good chunk of that was a group ride, but there was also from and back to my house.  No ride pictures, unless you count this one taking at the group ride start.  This is Hurricane Maxwell.  His owner just adopted him; he's a Harvey survivor.  He looks pretty good, but he's really all skin and bone.  Apparently he nearly starved to death in the aftermath of the storm.  He's very friendly though.

5_-e8eZTzKEuXxFa2-AUrYaA62oMISoOJf70IJeA

So last weekend I ran my first 5k while in Athens. Admittedly, I haven't run as much as I want since the move, and I was just coming off a sinus infection. And it was 7:30am. I ran a 23:25, 7 seconds off my personal best. I was happy because it was quite a bit better than I had expected, given the circumstances. But I was also kinda ticked I missed my best by a mere 2 seconds per mile, and I've been beating myself up over it since, hyperanalyzing the run. This is insane, right? :lol:

That's a good time. You probably were aided by low expectations and a clutter-free mind. Just run, baby. Now go teach the Sabres to do it.

I was getting in good running shape in mid August (road and trail) when I broke my little toe stubbing it against a weight I left in the middle of the room. That'll cool your running for a bit — although I did return to road running fairly quickly. I took awhile to build up the courage to run trails with it. It's actually just now back to near 100 percent.

I've slowed my pace down and concentrated on adding distance. I'm only up to 3.5 miles without stopping, but it feels like a decent accomplishment. I figure if I can eventually run five or six miles, then a 5K should be easy, even at a somewhat faster pace. Plus, I've gotten a bit of the marathon bug. It's mind-boggling, but maybe 3.5 becomes 7 and 7 becomes 14 and then who knows.

Who am I kidding? I'm lucky to be moving at my advanced age.

• 4 weeks later...

With today's outing, I've officially hit 200 miles hiking over 29 days since March, not including any snowshoeing done from Dec-March.  Holy cow.  I wouldn't have believed that number if I hadn't been keeping track along the way out of curiosity.  Go me!  Now if only I could transition to being less of a weekend warrior and weekday couch potato / workaholic to getting consistent exercise throughout the week, I'd be all set!

I'm not one to over exert myself.  I / we enjoy hiking on relatively easy trails and walk a lot in our neighbourhood.

Yesterday I spent 3 1/2 hours cleaning up leaves and 'tucking in' our rodos for the winter ... leaves and pine needles.

It was a heck of a workout.  I will probably feel it until the spring yard cleanup.

Thanks! :) I know it's nothing compared to the miles Doohickie logs on his bike (that's like 4 or 5 days for him, haha), but I'm pretty happy with it.

You can't compare the two.  Cycling is self-powered but definitely mechanically assisted.  I don't think I could do what you do.

I did a 56 second 400 today.

I was doing my usual workout. Alternating rounds on the heavy bag and the jump rope. Then I went for my run. My legs just felt great so I said it, I'm gonna do a sub 60 lap. Broke into the track behind my house and cranked it out in 1 attempt.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.