The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Yoga ...

Three kids are off and on their own. One remains home, but she's twenty and out with friends more often than not. Twenty five years of schools, sports teams, bands, churches, movies, mini vans and the zoo that is raising a handful of kids has slowed to a crawl. Oh, what to do?

Well when you're 56 and looking to find interesting and new experiences you can explore with the Mrs., yoga's a great idea.

We went to our first class, tonight. Awesome. Oh, sure, I had my moments. I felt the burn, while simply stretching, in muscles that used to send my flying around football, hockey and lacrosse fields and rinks with ease. Time's insidious. It's best mixed with grace.

What a class we had. It ended with quiet relaxation. I fell asleep, started to snore, and awoke startled. The room was giggling. My gracious instructed said "THAT's the way to do it!"

I can't wait until next Sunday.

I am only beginning to explore my body and the philosophy. OooOOoooooOOOoommmmmm!

Neo, yoga...man, I hate yoga. Tony Horton and his P90x yoga workout can shove it right up their...

Yoga might be the hardest physical activity I've ever done. My musculature is certainly not built for that long drawn out torture. Short bursts of movement, that's the ticket! Baseball, hockey, football, boxing, Heck, I could even play soccer back in my youth. Yoga, though, oh my God! After a set of those vinyasas I'm dripping sweat and my legs are ready to quit on me.

It's been a productive day. 5k run, then I actually picked up the weights. Jumped rope, and hit the bag for 3 rounds each. Now I'm drinking Bourbon in my back yard with my dogs. Life is beautiful.

I had a rare Monday night ride... 19 miles on the fixed gear, kind of up-tempo, although the 13.5 mph average doesn't exactly bear that out.  Several stretches of about 20 mph though, plus a few uphill segments & slowing/stopping for traffic.  I think the traffic is what kills my average, especially because starting from a dead stop is slow on the fixie.

I had a rare Monday night ride... 19 miles on the fixed gear, kind of up-tempo, although the 13.5 mph average doesn't exactly bear that out. Several stretches of about 20 mph though, plus a few uphill segments & slowing/stopping for traffic. I think the traffic is what kills my average, especially because starting from a dead stop is slow on the fixie.

I'm pretty sure 13.5mph is constantly above my avg. speed. Like, almost all the time. Unless it's a downhill segment, but my rides never seem to have any downhill segments, only uphill...both freaking ways...into the wind!

Neo, yoga...man, I ###### hate yoga. Tony Horton and his P90x yoga workout can shove it right up their...

Yoga might be the hardest physical activity I've ever done. My musculature is certainly not built for that long drawn out torture. Short bursts of movement, that's the ticket! Baseball, hockey, football, boxing, Heck, I could even play soccer back in my youth. Yoga, though, oh my God! After a set of those vinyasas I'm dripping sweat and my legs are ready to quit on me.

It's been a productive day. 5k run, then I actually picked up the weights. Jumped rope, and hit the bag for 3 rounds each. Now I'm drinking Bourbon in my back yard with my dogs. Life is beautiful.

haha I am also not a yoga person. I know, a woman in her 20s who doesn't like yoga?!?! Weird. 

I always end up yanking a neck muscle or something dumb. I do a bit here and there because I have to with aerials, but man... not my cuppa tea. That and the culture surrounding it... and I know it's not always the case, but I seem to be surrounded by nearly militant vegans hollering about how they don't need material things while they do downward dog in their $98 lululemon yoga pants and $70 lululemon fashion sports bra on their $150 Manduka mat after sipping their $8 gluten free asparagus water from Whole Foods or whatever... Push Past Your (credit card) Limits...

I do aerial yoga at our studio sometimes. So, yoga poses and strength training but using a hammock. It kicks your a$$. And you get to hang upside down- your spine decompresses and it's soooo nice. We also teach Vinyasa Flow and Hoop Yoga- literally yoga using a hula hoop. I'm teaching a class at the same time or I'd try it. 

I'm pretty sure 13.5mph is constantly above my avg. speed. Like, almost all the time. Unless it's a downhill segment, but my rides never seem to have any downhill segments, only uphill...both freaking ways...into the wind!

Oh yeah, forgot to say my trip home was mostly uphill and into the wind (as it usually is).

On a fixed gear bike, since you have to pedal all the time, there's a limit to how fast you can coast down hills- basically as fast as you can pedal for the gearing of the bike.  So there's a tradeoff between having a low enough gear for starting out and climbing hills, versus a high enough gear for fast cruising and going down the hills.  I've been thinking lately that it may be time for me to put a higher gear on the bike.

(Then I run into a tough hill think.... maybe not.)

haha I am also not a yoga person. I know, a woman in her 20s who doesn't like yoga?!?! Weird. 

I always end up yanking a neck muscle or something dumb. I do a bit here and there because I have to with aerials, but man... not my cuppa tea. That and the culture surrounding it... and I know it's not always the case, but I seem to be surrounded by nearly militant vegans hollering about how they don't need material things while they do downward dog in their $98 lululemon yoga pants and $70 lululemon fashion sports bra on their $150 Manduka mat after sipping their $8 gluten free asparagus water from Whole Foods or whatever... Push Past Your (credit card) Limits...

I do aerial yoga at our studio sometimes. So, yoga poses and strength training but using a hammock. It kicks your a$$. And you get to hang upside down- your spine decompresses and it's soooo nice. We also teach Vinyasa Flow and Hoop Yoga- literally yoga using a hula hoop. I'm teaching a class at the same time or I'd try it. 

That thing, right there! The culture of it! I have no beef with any workout if someone likes it. But the holier than thou cultures are freaking annoying. Yoga does this as you've aptly described. Crossfit does this, big time! Its insufferable. Had a friend who got way into crossfit  after college. She's still all about it. She's got all now crossfit friends and all new crossfit reconstructive surgeries. In a last ditch attempt to continue hanging out with the old crowd she attempted to merge her two groups of friends (does this ever work?) Well....the original group of us totally bro'd out. Turned it into a beerfest and proceeded to drink them all under the table and prove to them all why they should never hang out with us (immature and foolish? Sure. Necessary? Absolutely!!) 

PS: Kale sucks! it tastes like raid.

That thing, right there! The culture of it! I have no beef with any workout if someone likes it. But the holier than thou cultures are freaking annoying. Yoga does this as you've aptly described. Crossfit does this, big time! Its insufferable. Had a friend who got way into crossfit  after college. She's still all about it. She's got all now crossfit friends and all new crossfit reconstructive surgeries. In a last ditch attempt to continue hanging out with the old crowd she attempted to merge her two groups of friends (does this ever work?) Well....the original group of us totally bro'd out. Turned it into a beerfest and proceeded to drink them all under the table and prove to them all why they should never hang out with us (immature and foolish? Sure. Necessary? Absolutely!!) 

PS: Kale sucks! it tastes like raid.

:P

I hear ya. I tried crossfit for a hot second a few years ago. First time doing it, I worked so hard (there is NO pacing yourself mentality) that I was throwing up and they were all acting like this was a badge of honor. Tried it for another month or so (was going with a friend) and decided it was just putting me through more pain than it was worth. It was very cult-like and competitive. I found myself going for jogs or climbing or anything as an excuse to skip it... I know a few people who compete in big Crossfit competitions and most of them have had major surgery/rebuilds. Popping knees and ACLs and tearing quads just... really shouldn't be that common, guys. Former high school teacher I know got into it and she just had her double knee replacement last week... you can't tell me that her sudden love of crossfit style lifting didn't contribute to that! No care. Just numbers. 

I watch them do chinups and shoulder stuff that I teach now and cringe. Lotta unsafe practices, but you try telling them that... 

And yeah. Kale... nope. I've got guns and abs but a bit of pudge because I like beer and chocolate and that's ok. I do it my way, they do it theirs. 

:P

I hear ya. I tried crossfit for a hot second a few years ago. First time doing it, I worked so hard (there is NO pacing yourself mentality) that I was throwing up and they were all acting like this was a badge of honor. Tried it for another month or so (was going with a friend) and decided it was just putting me through more pain than it was worth. It was very cult-like and competitive. I found myself going for jogs or climbing or anything as an excuse to skip it... I know a few people who compete in big Crossfit competitions and most of them have had major surgery/rebuilds. Popping knees and ACLs and tearing quads just... really shouldn't be that common, guys. Former high school teacher I know got into it and she just had her double knee replacement last week... you can't tell me that her sudden love of crossfit style lifting didn't contribute to that! No care. Just numbers. 

I watch them do chinups and shoulder stuff that I teach now and cringe. Lotta unsafe practices, but you try telling them that... 

And yeah. Kale... nope. I've got guns and abs but a bit of pudge because I like beer and chocolate and that's ok. I do it my way, they do it theirs. 

I've never been very competitive by nature, especially in the sense of pushing beyond limits and winning at all costs.  I figure if it costs that much, it's probably not worth it.  (I have 5 bicycles, but paid very little for them; got most of them at garage sales and pawn shops or even out of the dumpster, and even though I know I'm not the fastest guy, I'm pretty sure I get more bang for the buck out of my bikes than most people.)  I like to be able to keep up and maybe occasionally I'll sprint with the group to the end of a ride or something, but don't ask me to race; it's just not worth the risk to me (and trust me, everyone who races bicycles crashes now and again).  So I've managed to have my fun with bikes but haven't gotten pulled into that cult-like inner circle.

As far as the pudge goes, I don't know about d4rk, but I know a lot of guys, myself included, like girls to be kind of round and soft.  When I see anyone (man or woman) that's all chiseled and hard from working out, it just kind makes me go ew.

As far as the pudge goes, I don't know about d4rk, but I know a lot of guys, myself included, like girls to be kind of round and soft.  When I see anyone (man or woman) that's all chiseled and hard from working out, it just kind makes me go ew.

haha I know a few female body builders (and male, as well). I respect it and envy certain asspects... but I'm getting to where I like what I have. I'm hard bodied where I want to be but soft enough that the cat still thinks I'm comfy. Still jealous of some of my fellow aerialists who are just naturally thin and gorgeous but... just not in my genes. I don't look at the scale. Not really being able to afford more than rice and cereal also helps... d4rk's probably just happy I'm getting a butt again since I started teaching bungee aka a billion squats in an hour.

I've never been very competitive by nature, especially in the sense of pushing beyond limits and winning at all costs.  I figure if it costs that much, it's probably not worth it.  (I have 5 bicycles, but paid very little for them; got most of them at garage sales and pawn shops or even out of the dumpster, and even though I know I'm not the fastest guy, I'm pretty sure I get more bang for the buck out of my bikes than most people.)  I like to be able to keep up and maybe occasionally I'll sprint with the group to the end of a ride or something, but don't ask me to race; it's just not worth the risk to me (and trust me, everyone who races bicycles crashes now and again).  So I've managed to have my fun with bikes but haven't gotten pulled into that cult-like inner circle.

Yeah. I have some lady friends who are essentially pro body builders now and while it's certainly impressive, I can't say I find it particularly attractive. I'm not into the whole obsessing over one's physique thing. Life is too short for that. 

Yeah. I have some lady friends who are essentially pro body builders now and while it's certainly impressive, I can't say I find it particularly attractive. I'm not into the whole obsessing over one's physique thing. Life is too short for that.

My brother got into body building in highschool. Kept it up til he was about 26. Now he's just a regular 5'9" 190lb fit as hell guy. Except he still shaves his entire body haha! It's been 25 years and I still think it's hysterical to see a man with shaved arms.

My wife has a friend who used to be pretty large. Severely obese, then got into competitive body building. I'm pretty sure she is 0% body fat now. Her and her husband do it. Common interests.

Doohickie, not sure if you use your phone or a bike computer for your tracking. But have you seen this? I'm thinking about getting one. I've currently got a Bryton 530 which is pretty good but I like new gadgets. 

https://www.hammerhead.io/pages/karoo

It looks interesting.  I'm not really too much into the gadgets myself; I track rides on my phone and don't continuously follow it while I ride.  I've been frustrated with my phone lately though because it seems to burn through battery life too quickly, especially when Strava is running.  I'm not sure I could compare that to a Garmin or whatever and tell you which features are important and which one is a better buy.  I could see getting one of those gadgets at some point though.

My brother got into body building in highschool. Kept it up til he was about 26. Now he's just a regular 5'9" 190lb fit as hell guy. Except he still shaves his entire body haha! It's been 25 years and I still think it's hysterical to see a man with shaved arms.

My wife has a friend who used to be pretty large. Severely obese, then got into competitive body building. I'm pretty sure she is 0% body fat now. Her and her husband do it. Common interests.

Yeah- one of the ladies I do aerials with is a body builder, her boyfriend is too.

Being around her is somethin' else. She's up at 4, runs an hour on the treadmill, does a full workout, goes to work, lifts on her lunch break, finishes work, trains all night. Has food and protein powders and shakes rationed out down to the minute, she even freakin' schedules her bowel movements. It's pretty incredible. She's a hell of an aerialist on top of it all. Really strong, flexible. 

I couldn't do it. People like that make me feel like a total schlub! I was having one of my stomach attacks at the studio and I made some gripe like "you'd think for all the hell I go through I'd at least be skinnier" and she goes "well you could be. You just don't care enough to try hard."

Go suck an egg, lady. Probably can't eat it anyways if it's not scheduled "egg eating time" on your schedule. Bleh.

Yeah- one of the ladies I do aerials with is a body builder, her boyfriend is too.

Being around her is somethin' else. She's up at 4, runs an hour on the treadmill, does a full workout, goes to work, lifts on her lunch break, finishes work, trains all night. Has food and protein powders and shakes rationed out down to the minute, she even freakin' schedules her bowel movements. It's pretty incredible. She's a hell of an aerialist on top of it all. Really strong, flexible.

I couldn't do it. People like that make me feel like a total schlub! I was having one of my stomach attacks at the studio and I made some gripe like "you'd think for all the hell I go through I'd at least be skinnier" and she goes "well you could be. You just don't care enough to try hard."

Go suck an egg, lady. Probably can't eat it anyways if it's not scheduled "egg eating time" on your schedule. Bleh.

Haha. I'm gonna let my thoughts on her comment to you slide, because it would be excessively mean. But just imagine all the car door handles that She-Ra must rip off, or all the plumbing that they've had to replace due to their massive protein powder induced dumps. Sorry, scheduled dumps.

Haha. I'm gonna let my thoughts on her comment to you slide, because it would be excessively mean. But just imagine all the car door handles that She-Ra must rip off, or all the plumbing that they've had to replace due to their massive protein powder induced dumps. Sorry, scheduled dumps.

THEY'RE INSANE AND TAKE FOREVER AND WE ONLY HAVE ONE BATHROOM FOR THE ENTIRE BUILDING AND IT'S AWFUL 

It's funny how someone who thinks their advocating for something they enjoy can have the opposite effect.

I wonder how many people I've turned off on cycling with all my posts in this thread?

There's a difference between passion and haranguing. 

You share your love of cycling and illustrate it well- you make others want to do it. I was doing that with aerials until I was like, well, this is a board of mostly dudes who'll never do it and really don't care... People like my coworker rub their hobbies in people's faces with an air of superiority that tarnishes whatever sport they're lording over others. 

I can't help it. If someone orders a pizza in or brings in food, she'll go on and on about how she can't have it because it'll screw up her training.. she'll pick off a pinch of pizza crust. I'll just sit there and eat it in front of her. Wouldn't normally, but she's such a jerk about things... 

She wants you to know how hard she's working because she actually hates it and is only doing it to impress other people.

She does constantly go on about loving donuts and how happy she'd be if she could just eat donuts every day... her bag is shaped like a donut, she has a donut patterned phone case and shoes, after a competition she'll eat like a 24 pack of donuts. 

So... probably. Self induced torture I guess. I write this as I'm eating an apple cider donut....

She does constantly go on about loving donuts and how happy she'd be if she could just eat donuts every day... her bag is shaped like a donut, she has a donut patterned phone case and shoes, after a competition she'll eat like a 24 pack of donuts.

So... probably. Self induced torture I guess. I write this as I'm eating an apple cider donut....

Donuts are good. Breaking news, I know.

I hardly ever eat them though. Just never go to the donut shop.

I was doing that with aerials until I was like, well, this is a board of mostly dudes who'll never do it and really don't care...

No, actually, that's not true.  Your aerial work is something most of us have never seen, and occasionally posting about it is actually educational.... well, informational.... or something.  I mean, it's like reading a travel article about someplace you'll never go to, but it's fascinating to read about.

No, actually, that's not true. Your aerial work is something most of us have never seen, and occasionally posting about it is actually educational.... well, informational.... or something. I mean, it's like reading a travel article about someplace you'll never go to, but it's fascinating to read about.

Truth. I'd never even heard of it until Josie started posting about it. It's cool and interesting.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.