The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Sure does! The other day I biked to work, just in 80 degrees, but the humidity was high. Just 3.5 miles was enough to work up quite the uncomfortable sweat that I didn't enjoy under the dress clothes I changed into.

Then it rained on the way home. The big beefy tires on the x caliber are awesome. But man do they kick up a ton of water!

All in all, wasn't the most successful first attempt at biking to work. But I'll do it a lot more in the fall when this heat and humidity breaks.

You're right, those are pretty good rain tires. I've found it to be a pretty good bike in the rain. I considered some fenders for it, but I thought it would take away from the looks of the bike. Then again, I don't use it to get to work so when I go out I'm already expecting to get sweaty and dirty. I'd probably think differently if I used it for work. There is a pretty decent selection of fenders out there if you really want to get serious about it. Some trunk racks have a fender built right in.

Yes, this nasty summer heat does put a damper on bike trips.

Meh.  Nothing wrong with sweating a little.

I'm cross posting this to this thread and the Over 50 thread since the bike I rode yesterday is 50 years old.

Solo Labor Day ride on the Old Gentleman to and around Downtown Fort Worth.  30 miles of increasingly HOT riding.  Had a blowout at mile 2; the tires were a little soft and I think when I pumped up the front the tire came off the bead.  VERY loud bang.  My CO2 cartridge nozzle was busted so I actually used the ancient frame pump.  It got the tire pumped up enough to walk the bike over to an oil change place and they let me use their air hose.

14241481_1058938270821729_31824424166612

This fountain commemorates one of Fort Worth's nicknames of "Panther City."  (It comes from a story told of a lawyer that came from Dallas and said Fort Worth was such a sleepy little town that a panther slept on Main Street.  The locals adopted the intended snub with pride as a new name for the city.)

14249745_1058939870821569_83806015733409

Sundance Square- the recently built central plaza in downtown

14138746_1058940634154826_57789910244380

Bridges over the Trinity River

14249871_1058938304155059_52083354712176

Almost home, on the edge of the Suburban Sprawl

14137969_1058938350821721_18724231947032

Can't do goblet squats anymore.  I have reached the point where my wrists and forearms (I mean the actual bones) are not physically capable of bearing enough weight to make the exercise worthwhile.  I consider this an achievement!

So now I'm using a front-loaded squat rack that my gym just got, conveniently, a couple of weeks ago.

(I cannot squat in the traditional manner, with weights across the back, because of a shoulder tear that I refuse to have repaired.)

The best part of those pictures? The retro light generator. 

Good eye.  The headlight and tail light still work.  It's a touchy system though; I had to experiment with bulbs to find a decent balance of current between them (and as it is, the rear light burns out quicker than the front).  It's just for show though; if I plan to ride after dark I take modern bike lights.

I know this thread has been mostly about exercise but I have a tale tell about sweat. 12 hr days setting and splicing bridge girders which means driving 15/16 drift pins into 15/16 holes with and eight pound hammer, climbing, wrestling 40,000 lb girders, etc. Past two days have been scorchers. So hot that two of the younger guys lost their lunch at about 3:30. I've had 25 yrs to adjust to the brutality but I'm still a sweaty bastard from a line line of sweaties. I gush sweat. One of the youngsters told me this morning that he'd never seen a person sweat like me. Everyone is mindful of where I am on the iron because I'll soak you if you get below me. I'm wet all 12 hrs. So wet that I am chaffing in places no human ever should. I'm disgusting. I choose to look at the positives though. I'm getting paid to work out 12 hrs a day. Haven't been to the gym in two weeks and I look better than I did when I was going!

I know this thread has been mostly about exercise but I have a tale tell about sweat. 12 hr days setting and splicing bridge girders which means driving 15/16 drift pins into 15/16 holes with and eight pound hammer, climbing, wrestling 40,000 lb girders, etc. Past two days have been scorchers. So hot that two of the younger guys lost their lunch at about 3:30. I've had 25 yrs to adjust to the brutality but I'm still a sweaty bastard from a line line of sweaties. I gush sweat. One of the youngsters told me this morning that he'd never seen a person sweat like me. Everyone is mindful of where I am on the iron because I'll soak you if you get below me. I'm wet all 12 hrs. So wet that I am chaffing in places no human ever should. I'm disgusting. I choose to look at the positives though. I'm getting paid to work out 12 hrs a day. Haven't been to the gym in two weeks and I look better than I did when I was going!

See, it's guys like you that Labor Day was made for. I've honestly never spent one Labor Day thinking I had deserved the time off. There's a reason they call it labor when women have babies!

You ever tried BodyGlide? They sell it at Dick's if you have one near you. Best anti-chafing product I've ever used. It's meant for hiking and I bet it would hold up on the job site.

Josie and I were talking about you the other night. We were revisiting the events of 9-11 and got talking about how iron workers were kinda the unsung heroes of the entire rescue effort. I don't know if it's something that comes up in your industry but I'll echo PA's sentiment that you're who Labor Day is meant for.

You ever tried BodyGlide? They sell it at Dick's if you have one near you. Best anti-chafing product I've ever used. It's meant for hiking and I bet it would hold up on the job site.

Josie and I were talking about you the other night. We were revisiting the events of 9-11 and got talking about how iron workers were kinda the unsung heroes of the entire rescue effort. I don't know if it's something that comes up in your industry but I'll echo PA's sentiment that you're who Labor Day is meant for.

That transition was one of the most disappointing in board history. I liked where it was headed.

Oof. Realize you're starting to get a little bit older when splits in an interval workout aren't as easy to hit. Did 3 1 mile repeats w/ a 5 minute light job between each. Still hit the times I wanted. But still felt the pain. Granted, I haven't been putting in the mileage, lifting weights, etc.... that I did in my 20's (mid 30's now) prior to yesterday, so like to think things will get as easy as they used to be. To others on Sabres Space training, keep it up!

Oof. Realize you're starting to get a little bit older when splits in an interval workout aren't as easy to hit. Did 3 1 mile repeats w/ a 5 minute light job between each. Still hit the times I wanted. But still felt the pain. Granted, I haven't been putting in the mileage, lifting weights, etc.... that I did in my 20's (mid 30's now) prior to yesterday, so like to think things will get as easy as they used to be. To others on Sabres Space training, keep it up!

Noice work envious, can't run anymore, hurts too much.

What kind of mile times are you getting?

Yanked a tendon? in my arm rock climbing a couple weeks back and it's still tender. Which is getting in the way of aerial stuff. Trying not to push it, but not using it makes it hurt more. I really just need a few days off, but no luck. 

I need to get a lot stronger quickly here. I'll be performing in December and I have a different partner. She's incredibly talented, and incredibly ambitious. A lot of the moves we want to do are just on that edge of where I'm not sure I can hold her well safely. Lots of wrist holds and taking on her full weight from drops and such. We have a couple months, but I guess I'll be upping the protein and hitting the gym.  I'll also be doing a trapeze routine where I base several people- people ranging from 110 to 160 pounds. So... anyone need a couch moved? haha 

Josie, tendons are low blood flow areas, so stimulating them regularly but moderately to get them to heal is a good thing. Good luck!

Good to hear!

I'm open to any and all advice on healing safely and quickly. Heat, ice, I haven't really done either besides a couple warm epsom salt baths- didn't want to risk more pain. Plus the inner elbow is an odd place to wrap or do anything to. 

Thanks so much! 

Good to hear!

I'm open to any and all advice on healing safely and quickly. Heat, ice, I haven't really done either besides a couple warm epsom salt baths- didn't want to risk more pain. Plus the inner elbow is an odd place to wrap or do anything to. 

Thanks so much! 

I agree with NB. Stretching, don't let it sit too long. Also get some light dumbbells and so some low weight reps. 5 or 10 pounders. It won't necessarily build anything up, but it'll add more resistance to stretching. 

Yanked a tendon? in my arm rock climbing a couple weeks back and it's still tender. Which is getting in the way of aerial stuff. Trying not to push it, but not using it makes it hurt more. I really just need a few days off, but no luck. 

I need to get a lot stronger quickly here. I'll be performing in December and I have a different partner. She's incredibly talented, and incredibly ambitious. A lot of the moves we want to do are just on that edge of where I'm not sure I can hold her well safely. Lots of wrist holds and taking on her full weight from drops and such. We have a couple months, but I guess I'll be upping the protein and hitting the gym.  I'll also be doing a trapeze routine where I base several people- people ranging from 110 to 160 pounds. So... anyone need a couch moved? haha 

If you feel like flying to Denver, I'm moving on the 24th!  ;)

Edited by biodork

See, it's guys like you that Labor Day was made for. I've honestly never spent one Labor Day thinking I had deserved the time off. There's a reason they call it labor when women have babies!

I appreciate your kind words. They reinforce the resolve of the dedicated.

Dick's is right next door to the brew store. My ass thanks you for the tip.

My industry is very aware of the bias towards us. Our history as an organization is my favorite course to deliver to the apprentices. We have a saying at the international level, "when we do something bad they call us the Ironworkers, when we do something right they call us the steelworker."....D'oh!

You would be interested in the story of the Ironworker shoring contractor that shut down his job down the street from the federal building that was bombed in Oklahoma City and brought his entire crew and equipment over to help rescue the preschoolers. Tragically it took three days before the response team let them go to work. I'm glad they let us do what we do when 9/11 happened.

What kind of mile times are you getting?

Went 5:22, 5:25 and 5:19. I coach cross country. We're going a meet on the 24th that has a race for coaches and any other person over 18 in attendance. I'm running in that race for the kids I coach. They asked me to. Could never say no to them. They work very hard. Give their best day in day out. 

Went 5:22, 5:25 and 5:19. I coach cross country. We're going a meet on the 24th that has a race for coaches and any other person over 18 in attendance. I'm running in that race for the kids I coach. They asked me to. Could never say no to them. They work very hard. Give their best day in day out. 

Impressive. Nice to see them push you too. Yeah, that is a tough one to turn down. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.