The "I sometimes break a sweat" thread

darksabre

Thanks for the advice, guys. I do a lot of work with the free weights and dumbbells because they allow me to focus more on the weights than those around me. Headphones help, too.

My partner I've been going with is smallish and focuses almost entirely on his biceps so I'm obviously not following him.

I'll try to provide a few updates here and there. Anybody else use protein powder?

Yep.  Some skim milk, some frozen fruit, and a scoop of Isolyze in a blender is my breakfast every day.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I do a lot of work with the free weights and dumbbells because they allow me to focus more on the weights than those around me. Headphones help, too.

My partner I've been going with is smallish and focuses almost entirely on his biceps so I'm obviously not following him.

I'll try to provide a few updates here and there. Anybody else use protein powder?

A few years back I did to bulk up a little, but other than that I never have. If your regular diet is inadequate or your schedule doesn't allow for proper planning of meals around workouts, I'd recommend it. But your first choice should be to increase lean protein intake through food, particularly chicken and fish following a workout. Good carbs with some protein before, lean protein after.

Oh yea, my two cents about the self conscious thing: nobody cares what you're doing or how much you're lifting...unless your form is horribly broken because you're going too heavy. Oh, and definitely don't grunt/scream. And for the love of whatever you love, don't combine the broken form with screaming :lol:

Edited by TrueBlueGED

I'll have a protein bar to supplement a meal if I do an extra hard workout but for the most part I stick to a simple diet. Tuna, salmon, chicken, sardines, eggs, milk, beans, cottage cheese and peanut butter provide most of my protein. A 69 cent can of pork n beans is way more satisfying to me than a protein shake. :lol:

I'll have a protein bar to supplement a meal if I do an extra hard workout but for the most part I stick to a simple diet. Tuna, salmon, chicken, sardines, eggs, milk, beans, cottage cheese and peanut butter provide most of my protein. A 69 cent can of pork n beans is way more satisfying to me than a protein shake. :lol:

I love protein shakes if they're made well, I just don't think relying on them is the ideal approach. That said, I do recognize the meal planning just isn't viable for everyone.

The self-consciousness will go away quickly, I predict, and your comfort level will increase. When I started running last spring, I was incredibly shy about being seen doing it, to the point of stopping and walking when I saw someone. Pretty soon I got over that hurdle and just didn't care.

I'm jealous. I'm up to three 5K's a week, plus more miscellaneous cardio/treadmill stuff, 4 days/week doing weights, more biking (another 35 miles today).............. and I haven't lost a pound. My weight hasn't changed in months, in fact it hasn't fluctuated more than 3 pounds in the last 6 months. I'm not exaggerating, I haven't gone below 212 and haven't gone above 215. Good for all of you losing weight. :thumbsup:

I'm jealous. I'm up to three 5K's a week, plus more miscellaneous cardio/treadmill stuff, 4 days/week doing weights, more biking (another 35 miles today).............. and I haven't lost a pound. My weight hasn't changed in months, in fact it hasn't fluctuated more than 3 pounds in the last 6 months. I'm not exaggerating, I haven't gone below 212 and haven't gone above 215. Good for all of you losing weight. :thumbsup:

How tall are you, JJ?

How tall are you, JJ?

5'9"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'll do my best to find my inner Big Johnson.

Did 35.4 miles in Fort Lauderdale today, put the new bike through the ringers. https://ridewithgps.com/trips/7941105

From atop the parking garage downtown.

post-2048-0-23184200-1456288984_thumb.jpg

post-2048-0-64569700-1456289026_thumb.jpg

This is what people in Fort Lauderdale consider a backyard.

post-2048-0-08609900-1456286066_thumb.jpg

The Intracoastal looking south from the Las Olas bridge.

post-2048-0-12947400-1456286163_thumb.jpg

Very windy, humid, overcast day. The waves aren't generally this big around here.

post-2048-0-47981900-1456286244_thumb.jpg

Looking north at Fort Lauderdale from the 17th St. Causeway bridge. (Managed to hit 34 MPH on the way down)

post-2048-0-49788400-1456286347_thumb.jpg

Yes, wild peacocks! There's one on the roof too. No homes in these neighborhoods are under six figures. It's nice to dream.

post-2048-0-21312700-1456286411_thumb.jpg

post-2048-0-29376900-1456286455_thumb.jpg

Yes, that's a Cycle Party bus(?) It's a mobile bar and the customers power it by pedaling as you cruise through the city.

post-2048-0-42083900-1456286702_thumb.jpg

Riverwalk, downtown.

post-2048-0-40706900-1456286875_thumb.jpg

Night time, from the parking garage.

post-2048-0-52975800-1456286906_thumb.jpg

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Nobody wants to see all those pictures.  (They only want to see mine  ;) )

35 miles.... excellent!  I bet you were huffin' and puffin' on the way up to the top of that garage.

Wow, you're close to the coast.  Very cool. The views must be awesome.

That was a nice tour of the area.  Thanks!

Nobody wants to see all those pictures.  (They only want to see mine  ;) )

35 miles.... excellent!  I bet you were huffin' and puffin' on the way up to the top of that garage.

Wow, you're close to the coast.  Very cool. The views must be awesome.

That was a nice tour of the area.  Thanks!

I live out west with the rest of the peons. I'm just happy they let my ride down their streets.

Don't worry, I'm not as dedicated as you. Don't expect these as often as yours. ;)

Edited by JJFIVEOH

Don't worry, I'm not as dedicated as you yet.

fify  ;)

And I get more dedicated and less dedicationed.  I've tracked my miles the last few years and it goes up and down.

2012:  4000 miles (yes, exactly)

2013:  3052 miles*

2014:  3081 miles

2015:  2791 miles*

* I spent time off the bike in 2013 and 2015 with injuries.  I gotta learn to hang onto the handlebars.

Edited by Robin Egg

fify  ;)

And I get more dedicated and less dedicationed.  I've tracked my miles the last few years and it goes up and down.

2012:  4000 miles (yes, exactly)

2013:  3052 miles*

2014:  3081 miles

2015:  2791 miles*

* I spent time off the bike in 2013 and 2015 with injuries.  I gotta learn to hang onto the handlebars.

That's impressive, especially when you consider the bikes you use.

Waddya mean "the bikes you use"????  :angry:

I lurves my bikes!  :wub:

Man, you've got cool bikes! Just saying, they're not conventional and it's more of a challenge. Doing 35-40 miles on a 50 pound bike, or a fixed gear bike is just a tad different than today's featherweight, low resistance, 86 speed bikes.

A few years back I did to bulk up a little, but other than that I never have. If your regular diet is inadequate or your schedule doesn't allow for proper planning of meals around workouts, I'd recommend it. But your first choice should be to increase lean protein intake through food, particularly chicken and fish following a workout. Good carbs with some protein before, lean protein after.

Oh yea, my two cents about the self conscious thing: nobody cares what you're doing or how much you're lifting...unless your form is horribly broken because you're going too heavy. Oh, and definitely don't grunt/scream. And for the love of whatever you love, don't combine the broken form with screaming :lol:

I don't use it for bulking up--that's not my goal.  It speeds up metabolism greatly.  And one shake, the way I make them, has as much protein (some from the milk and some from the powder) as six eggs.  I don't have time to eat six eggs.

I don't use it for bulking up--that's not my goal.  It speeds up metabolism greatly.  And one shake, the way I make them, has as much protein (some from the milk and some from the powder) as six eggs.  I don't have time to eat six eggs.

Ain't nobody got time for that!

It's good to still be young eh? I'm like you. Once I set a diet and start getting exercise it just comes off. 

You think you can stick with it when the twins come?

I hope to be able to find some semblance of a gym routine once the twins arrive.  Whether it's in the AM before work, or take a long lunch 3 days a week.  Just something.  

I have never been able to get into the typical gym routine of going to do exercises, just not my cup of tea at all. I find it much more effective to participate in various sports leagues (volleyball mostly) throughout the year, as well as the hard physical labor that is remodeling your whole house. These implied exercises work for me now, but I fear what will happen if I suddenly start getting heavier after 30 hits.

I have never been able to get into the typical gym routine of going to do exercises, just not my cup of tea at all. I find it much more effective to participate in various sports leagues (volleyball mostly) throughout the year, as well as the hard physical labor that is remodeling your whole house. These implied exercises work for me now, but I fear what will happen if I suddenly start getting heavier after 30 hits.

I have a tough time doing enough physical labor to make that work. That being said, I was starting to put on some muscle over the summer when I planted at least 20 shrubs and whatnot (in the crazy rocky soil in my yard), de-thatched the lawn by hand, and then wrestled the gas lawn aerator. Only down side is I was eating a ton too.

Do the long lunch. I bet that'll be easier to make a routine out of. 

Agree with this.  When you're at home your wife is likely going to need help for the first two years.  I get an hour lunch so I max my gym time then.  Sucks having to shower at the gym and go back a bit sweaty but you won't feel guilty for not helping with the twins.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.