Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Even funnier story to this: turns out that brown thing IS a piece of glass. They just couldn't get that brown cover off of the pane of glass so they left it there. They fixed it before OT.

Sheesh!!

@EyeOnHockey

Update on Ryan Callahan and it's not good. Rangers captain suffers knee sprain, out for 4-6 weeks http://cbsprt.co/1gnuvtG

Myers is playing a lot better, isn't he?

Statistically, Miller is worse in categories that Tallinder would have a direct impact on (GAA, shots against). He's on pace to face 1,453 shots in his first 40 games this year (played 40 last year). That's nearly 200 more shots. GAA is up .14.

Miller is playing better, but the defense in front doesn't appear to be.

Sheesh!!

@EyeOnHockey

Update on Ryan Callahan and it's not good. Rangers captain suffers knee sprain, out for 4-6 weeks http://cbsprt.co/1gnuvtG

Dang. He just got back from injury. My fantasy team takes another hit.

The question is: Will Ovi score more goals than the complete Sabres team? :)

It'll be close.

Any other arena and that's a major issue because of seating. In Florida, it's okay because they can just move them to other front-row seats. See, they had a plan all along with these low attendances.

On TSNs Sportscentre this morning here in Canada the one guy joked "I'd be pissed if I had to spend $8 to sit there and then my view was blocked........"

Apparently they had trouble trying to strip the paper off the glass

People keep saying that. I think he's looked okay, but nothing to get excited about.

I think they should make him a winger. He looks better carrying the puck into the offensive zone than he does when playing D in his own end. Heck, he looks better carrying the puck into the offensive zone than most of our forwards.

I think they should make him a winger. He looks better carrying the puck into the offensive zone than he does when playing D in his own end. Heck, he looks better carrying the puck into the offensive zone than most of our forwards.

You're preaching to the choir. I posted a month ago maybe that I thought moving him to wing for a little bit in this lost-cause of a season might be a fun experiment for him. I think he might need the perspective of playing forward to realize what is expected from him on defense. He wouldn't be the first current NHLer to have played both positions at this level.

I'm still trying to figure out why Hank is here. I mean I like the guy, but he's not contributing a whole lot.

I'll be ready to see him moved at the deadline for a 3rd round pick or something along those lines. The sad things is that's he's scored as many goals as Ehrhoff, Stafford, Myers, McBain, and Grigorenko. Tallinder is decent at best now. His best years are clearly behind him, but he would be a smart pick up by a contending team to fill in if there's an injury.

So I just found out that Vanek only has one more point than Moulson on the year in equal games played, Vanek having one more assist. My question is, do you think it was worth that one extra assist so far for NYI to give up those 1st and 2nd draft picks? Do you think breaking up the alleged chemistry between Moulson-Tavares was worth it? When Vanek walks, I wonder how much they'll regret it from a historical stand-point.... those 1st and 2nd picks....Not to mention when/if (probably when) they defer to 2015, would it be worth that one extra assist to potentially get a Connor McDavid player (in theory)? Damn Darcy really got a bargain

I think my question/comment was more rhetorical but feel free to respond lol

Edited by BuffaloBorn

So I just found out that Vanek only has one more point than Moulson on the year in equal games played, Vanek having one more assist. My question is, do you think it was worth that one extra assist so far for NYI to give up those 1st and 2nd draft picks? Do you think breaking up the alleged chemistry between Moulson-Tavares was worth it? When Vanek walks, I wonder how much they'll regret it from a historical stand-point.... those 1st and 2nd picks....Not to mention when/if (probably when) they defer to 2015, would it be worth that one extra assist to potentially get a Connor McDavid player (in theory)? Damn Darcy really got a bargain

Vanek is a better player than Moulson. Period. I don't care about this years stats. Having said that, I think we still got the better end of that deal, possibly by alot depending on where the Isles end up in the standings over the next two seasons.

Statistically, Miller is worse in categories that Tallinder would have a direct impact on (GAA, shots against). He's on pace to face 1,453 shots in his first 40 games this year (played 40 last year). That's nearly 200 more shots. GAA is up .14.

Miller is playing better, but the defense in front doesn't appear to be.

It's the forwards. The inability to maintain offensive zone pressure is making the D look worse than it is.

Even funnier story to this: turns out that brown thing IS a piece of glass. They just couldn't get that brown cover off of the pane of glass so they left it there. They fixed it before OT.

I was going to say, don't they know that the paper peels off ? Luckily, they consulted someone outside the arena (maybe the State) to find out how that works, before the OT.

What are their comparisons since being moved though? Has one of them played better with their new team then the other? Thats whats important, unless they both had the same stats when dealt

I'll be ready to see him moved at the deadline for a 3rd round pick or something along those lines. The sad things is that's he's scored as many goals as Ehrhoff, Stafford, Myers, McBain, and Grigorenko. Tallinder is decent at best now. His best years are clearly behind him, but he would be a smart pick up by a contending team to fill in if there's an injury.

I'm still trying to figure out why Hank is here. I mean I like the guy, but he's not contributing a whole lot.

People really underestimate the value of veteran leadership, especially on a team with such young defensemen. I think Hank has played pretty well. But think about how much he has helped the others improve their game. They've even pointed out a few times this year where Hank had taken another defensemen aside, during the game, to talk to him. At this point his performance level is completely outmatched by the experience he brings to these young guys.

People really underestimate the value of veteran leadership, especially on a team with such young defensemen. I think Hank has played pretty well. But think about how much he has helped the others improve their game. They've even pointed out a few times this year where Hank had taken another defensemen aside, during the game, to talk to him. At this point his performance level is completely outmatched by the experience he brings to these young guys.

I don't underestimate the value of veteran leadership at all, I just haven't been impressed with Tallinder this season. He's clearly lost a step and I think we could use an upgrade. I prefer to have an even mix of puck moving, offensive type dmen like Ehrhoff and Myers to go along with hard nosed stay at home types like Robyn Regehr, Jay McKee, and Craig Rivet (back in their primes and later primes obviously). Tallinder doesn't have the grit to play that way and he's way past his shelf life to be an offensive dman at this point. Nothing against him at all. He was a great player for us the first time around. I'm over it, though.

One we get to mid-season, I'd like to see a comparison done between Rolston's stint and Nolan's.

Bet the gains in possession, shots for and against, and defence are dramatic.

You'd be wrong :P

Under Rolston, FF% in close situations was a hair over 38. Right now it's a hair over 39, so at best there's been an improvement of around two percentage points.

You'd be wrong :P

Under Rolston, FF% in close situations was a hair over 38. Right now it's a hair over 39, so at best there's been an improvement of around two percentage points.

Is the 39 the current level for the season, or the level since teddy took over?

Edited by Glass Case Of Emotion

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.