Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I'm seeing some funny stuff from Bruins fans on the Thornton thing. They seem to like saying that Scott only got 7 games for his suspension. For whatever reason, the fact that he missed three games before the suspension was officially announced means that those ones don't actually count. I wonder how they would respond if we started calling it 12 games for Thornton instead.

Scott's lower suspension reflects the difference between recklessness and intention.

They've seen the B's get away with so much dirty shite that those Bruins fans don't know the difference between outright thuggery and a hockey play gone bad.

I couldn't agree more.

They've seen the B's get away with so much dirty shite that those Bruins fans don't know the difference between outright thuggery and a hockey play gone bad.

It's just funny to see these fans whining about the NHL having a double standard. Then within the same exact post, they use a different standard to count the number of games Scott served. Why is it that stupid people are so entertaining?

It's just funny to see these fans whining about the NHL having a double standard. Then within the same exact post, they use a different standard to count the number of games Scott served. Why is it that stupid people are so entertaining?

I am also amused by the number of them not understanding how Orpik got concussed... apparently two punches to the face wouldn't have done it. In other news all Bruins fans now have PHD's in neurology.

Wish they had the actual fight but that is still awesome! JUST BTW if I saw a video of sabre doing this I would find it disgraceful as a fan. I am sure it has happened but still you need to hold yourself to a higher level as a pro athlete.

According to the video itself, Lucic didn't do any fighting. Some guy hit him a few times and that's it. Generally, I'd side with you since Lucic is a scumbag on the ice, but I don't have a problem with this particular incident unless it comes out that there was an actual fight that he was involved in.

According to the video itself, Lucic didn't do any fighting. Some guy hit him a few times and that's it. Generally, I'd side with you since Lucic is a scumbag on the ice, but I don't have a problem with this particular incident unless it comes out that there was an actual fight that he was involved in.

I'm sure guys like him have to deal with this BS all the time when drinking in enemy territory (although I think Lucic is from somewhere around the area). It just sucks that they gotta be taped now.

I'm sure guys like him have to deal with this BS all the time when drinking in enemy territory (although I think Lucic is from somewhere around the area). It just sucks that they gotta be taped now.

As I think I've mentioned before here, the NFL has sections on not punching people in their handbook and classes for players on how to deal with this stuff. I've heard there are role-playing examples in the classroom.

There's always those stories of how pro hockey players used to get in brawls outside of the rink for the fun of it back in the day. Nowadays it's all recorded and even if you're just yelling people get on you.

Jets' Peluso suspended three games for boarding

NEW YORK -- Winnipeg Jets forward Anthony Peluso has been suspended for three games, without pay, for boarding Dallas Stars defenseman Alex Goligoski during NHL Game No. 489 in Winnipeg on Saturday, Dec. 14, the National Hockey League's Department of Player Safety announced today.

The incident occurred at 15:28 of the second period. Peluso was assessed a major penalty for boarding and a game misconduct.

Under the terms of the Collective Bargaining Agreement and, based on his average annual salary, Peluso will forfeit $8,653.86. The money goes to the Players' Emergency Assistance Fund.

As I think I've mentioned before here, the NFL has sections on not punching people in their handbook and classes for players on how to deal with this stuff. I've heard there are role-playing examples in the classroom.

I hate getting punched in my handbook.

That goes to Bettman, right? And he can adjust it (+ or -) or leave it alone?

I believe he can uphold or subtract I don't think he can add to it. My guess is Bettman would uphold 99% of all decisions. I have a suspicion this will go to independent arbiter. Either way I now think less of Thornton than I did... which was already pretty low.

I believe he can uphold or subtract I don't think he can add to it. My guess is Bettman would uphold 99% of all decisions. I have a suspicion this will go to independent arbiter. Either way I now think less of Thornton than I did... which was already pretty low.

Just a guess, but he may have been encouraged to appeal by the NHLPA.

I don't know for sure - it's not like I ever really looked it up - but I did read an article read somewhere (TSN maybe?) on Kaleta potentially appealing. It was kind of a throw-away line at the end, but it said something along the lines there was a possibility the suspension could be extended...

Kaleta took his last one to Bettman too. My guess is that the PA doesn't really get too involved unless they (either the PA or Thornton's people) want to take it the next step to the independent reviewer.

Kaleta appealed his most recent suspension? I thought he decided against it.

Just a guess, but he may have been encouraged to appeal by the NHLPA.

Yes, and that's a shame, considering that Orpik is a member of that organization as well.

Kaleta definitely appealed and it (10 games) was upheld by Bettman.

Kaleta dropped his appeal.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.