Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

@GeorgeRichards

#FlaPanthers have traded Kris Versteeg back to the Chicago Blackhawks

@mirtle

Full trade: Kris Versteeg and Phillippe Lefebrve to Chicago for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

FLA's retention of half of Versteeg's salary is not just for this season, it's for the balance of Versteeg's contract.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Versteeg earns $4.6M with cap hit of $4.4M this season. Two more yrs after that, earning $4.7M with $4.4M cap hit. So FLA retains 50% of it.

Edited by 26CornerBlitz

DoPS Kadri Suspension Video: http://video.nhl.com...nter/?id=484481

I am not going to watch this. If John Scott gets 7 for his hit and Kadri gets 3 for killing Backstrom everything in this video is ######.

@GeorgeRichards

#FlaPanthers have traded Kris Versteeg back to the Chicago Blackhawks

@mirtle

Full trade: Kris Versteeg and Phillippe Lefebrve to Chicago for Jimmy Hayes and Dylan Olsen.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

FLA's retention of half of Versteeg's salary is not just for this season, it's for the balance of Versteeg's contract.

@TSNBobMcKenzie

Versteeg earns $4.6M with cap hit of $4.4M this season. Two more yrs after that, earning $4.7M with $4.4M cap hit. So FLA retains 50% of it.

This trade is terrible for Florida... Olsen may be useful but Hayes has career AHL with occasional calllup written all over him. FLA also retains all that Salary... Glad this wasn't our new GM being stupid.

This trade is terrible for Florida... Olsen may be useful but Hayes has career AHL with occasional calllup written all over him. FLA also retains all that Salary... Glad this wasn't our new GM being stupid.

It's a great trade for the Panthers if their plan is to "out tank" the Sabres and/or any other team.

Gotta agree with Shrader. I just watched about 10 replays of the Backstrom hit, he puts his forearm right through Backstroms face. The Avalanche should have dropped Kadri after that. Minimum 5games but he is a leaf so I will say 2 games because some ###### about no prior history.

Here is a link to the videos

http://www.usatoday....-kadri/3521953/

Wait the Avs didn't respond to their goalie getting steamrolled? Oh.. wait. They wouldn't have.. it was the Wild goalie getting steamrolled. :)

Still, the lack of insane response by the Wild can only be attributed to one thing.. Pominville has clearly made the Wild a soft team unable to respond to opponents steamrolling their goaltender.

I hope every goalie in the league takes a shot at Kadri for that.

That might blow the #1 pick. Doesn't fit the plan. He'll get dealt to a contending team looking for offense from the blueline.

I hate to break it to ya, but I don't think the Sabres end up with the number 1 pick. Have you met the Sabres?

Drafting 3-5 this year would actually be better. I have a sneaky suspicion the guys in those slots may pan out as better.

Wait the Avs didn't respond to their goalie getting steamrolled? Oh.. wait. They wouldn't have.. it was the Wild goalie getting steamrolled. :)

Still, the lack of insane response by the Wild can only be attributed to one thing.. Pominville has clearly made the Wild a soft team unable to respond to opponents steamrolling their goaltender.

I hope every goalie in the league takes a shot at Kadri for that.

Pommers was on the ice. :P

Watching the Sharks and oilers. 3-cod sharks in the 2nd. Man do the oilers look bad.

Drafting 3-5 this year would actually be better. I have a sneaky suspicion the guys in those slots may pan out as better.

You can tell yourself that, but it's most likely not true. Just like the Bills fans convinced themselves that EJ was the answer only because there were no good QB prospects in that draft.

You can tell yourself that, but it's most likely not true. Just like the Bills fans convinced themselves that EJ was the answer only because there were no good QB prospects in that draft.

Yea I was against EJ Manuel.

And I don't have to "tell myself that" I read a lot of draft news, profiles, and watch videos on these guys. Ekblad and Reinhart are not superior in the way Crosby or Ovechkin or Stamkos was. These players in this draft are similar. Reinhart, Ekblad, Karlsson, Dal Colle, Nylander, and Bennett. They are all on a Similar talent level. Ekblad perhaps being the standout because he plays defense. I actually like Dal Colle, Karlsson, and Kempe and some others more than Ekblad, Nylander, an Reinhart.

So yes it is true. Just like last year where I wanted us to draft 4/5th so we could get either Lidholm or Monahan this year I am looking at Dal Colle, Karlsson, an Kempe

And I don't have to "tell myself that" I read a lot of draft news, profiles, and watch videos on these guys. Ekblad and Reinhart are not superior in the way Crosby or Ovechkin or Stamkos was. These players in this draft are similar. Reinhart, Ekblad, Karlsson, Dal Colle, Nylander, and Bennett. They are all on a Similar talent level. Ekblad perhaps being the standout because he plays defense. I actually like Dal Colle, Karlsson, and Kempe and some others more than Ekblad, Nylander, an Reinhart.

So yes it is true. Just like last year where I wanted us to draft 4/5th so we could get either Lidholm or Monahan this year I am looking at Dal Colle, Karlsson, an Kempe

Most accounts have Reinhart and Ekblad as clearly separated from the rest. They're the only tier one type of guys in this draft. Then you see a drop off behind them. I do really like guys like Bennett, Dal Colle and Karlsson, but they're not in any way better or as good of prospects as Reinhart. It's easier to want to think that so we can at least enjoy some winning. I wouldn't be pissed if we ended up with third and get one of the three mentioned above, because 2015 is the draft that truly mattes if you're number one. I'm just noting that it's always better to be drafting number one (if you're in the lottery). I'm not saying that it wouldn't be okay to draft 3-5, I'm just saying it's not true to claim "it'd actually be better" to draft there.

Wait, I just reread what you said. Were you saying you wanted Monahan or Lindholm last year? Over guys like MacKinnon, Drouin and Barkov?

Can we just finish like 10th and win the lottery? That'd be way more fun.

Edited by DStebb

So it's better to draft 5th than 1st? What color is the sky on your planet? :huh:

Good time for someone other than me to list the last 15-20 #1 and #5 picks so we can compare.

1st:

MacKinnon

Yakupov

Nugent-Hopkins

Taylor Hall

Tavares

Stamkos

Kane

Erik Johnson

Crosby

Ovechkin

MA Fleury

Nash

Kovalchuk

Dipietro

Patrik Stepan (only went first because the Sedin's refused to go anywhere but one place)

Lacavalier

Joe Thornton

5th:

Lindholm

Morgan Reilly

Ryan Strome

Niederreiter

Brayden Schenn

Luke Schenn

Alzner

Kessel

Carey Price

Blake Wheeler

Vanek

Ryan Whitney

Stanislav Chistov

Torres

Tim Connolly

Vitali Vishnevsky

Eric Brewer

Best player selected 3-5 in the last 17 drafts:

Seth Jones (3rd)

Galchenyuk (3rd)

Huberdeau (3rd)

Ryan Johansen (4th)

Duchene (3rd)

Pietrangelo (4th)

Turris (3rd)

Toews (3rd)

Carey Price (5th)

Andrew Ladd (3rd)

Vanek (5th)

Bouwmeester (3rd)

Weiss (4th)

Gaborik (3rd)

Sedin (3rd) (only went 3rd because of the twins refusal mentioned earlier)

Bryan Allen (4th)

Luongo (4th)

Based on that, only five of the last 17 drafts have seen a player drafted from 3-5 turn out better than the first pick (Gaborik > Dipietro, Vanek > MA Fleury (debatable), Sedin > Stepan (rigged), Galchenyuk > Yakupov (still early), Toews > Erik Johson).

Edited by DStebb

Thank you. I think you would find similar results in all the other major sports as well. I do think this year is a little unique though in that the best player is a dman that we don't necessarily need. I don't think Reinhart jumps out as being that much offensively gifted more than the next 2-3 guys.

Next year I think is a little better example of the difference between 1&5.

So it's better to draft 5th than 1st? What color is the sky on your planet? :huh:

Thank you ever so much for taking what I said and twisting it inside your mind to add nothing to conversation. Thank for insulting my intelligence and thank you for tossing out the idea that every draft is the exact same.

Last year we couldn't move up to 1st, PERIOD.

This year if we don't draft 1st I don't think the drop off is as much as others, PERIOD.

Thank you. I think you would find similar results in all the other major sports as well. I do think this year is a little unique though in that the best player is a dman that we don't necessarily need. I don't think Reinhart jumps out as being that much offensively gifted more than the next 2-3 guys.

Next year I think is a little better example of the difference between 1&5.

Which was my original point, thank you.

I should also add that if we drafted 1 or 2 and Reinhart is there, I would take him.

Thank you ever so much for taking what I said and twisting it inside your mind to add nothing to conversation. Thank for insulting my intelligence and thank you for tossing out the idea that every draft is the exact same.

Last year we couldn't move up to 1st, PERIOD.

This year if we don't draft 1st I don't think the drop off is as much as others, PERIOD.

Which was my original point, thank you.

I should also add that if we drafted 1 or 2 and Reinhart is there, I would take him.

I think the reason people are confused is because you literally said "drafting 3-5 would actually be better." Which directly means that you think having those picks this year is better than having the first pick.

1st:

MacKinnon

Yakupov

Nugent-Hopkins

Taylor Hall

Tavares

Stamkos

Kane

Erik Johnson

Crosby

Ovechkin

MA Fleury

Nash

Kovalchuk

Dipietro

Patrik Stepan (only went first because the Sedin's refused to go anywhere but one place)

Lacavalier

Joe Thornton

5th:

Lindholm

Morgan Reilly

Ryan Strome

Niederreiter

Brayden Schenn

Luke Schenn

Alzner

Kessel

Carey Price

Blake Wheeler

Vanek

Ryan Whitney

Stanislav Chistov

Torres

Tim Connolly

Vitali Vishnevsky

Eric Brewer

Best player selected 3-5 in the last 17 drafts:

Seth Jones (3rd)

Galchenyuk (3rd)

Huberdeau (3rd)

Ryan Johansen (4th)

Duchene (3rd)

Pietrangelo (4th)

Turris (3rd)

Toews (3rd)

Carey Price (5th)

Andrew Ladd (3rd)

Vanek (5th)

Bouwmeester (3rd)

Weiss (4th)

Gaborik (3rd)

Sedin (3rd) (only went 3rd because of the twins refusal mentioned earlier)

Bryan Allen (4th)

Luongo (4th)

Based on that, only five of the last 17 drafts have seen a player drafted from 3-5 turn out better than the first pick (Gaborik > Dipietro, Vanek > MA Fleury (debatable), Sedin > Stepan (rigged), Galchenyuk > Yakupov (still early), Toews > Erik Johson).

The Sedin's never said they wouldn't play separately. They did acknowledge they preferred to play together and Burke engineered the deal to accomplish that.

Stepan was considered a legitimate number one pick at the time.

Boy was I wrong about Filppula and Hudler. I thought they would be mediocre outside of Detroit.

Hudler has 21 points in 21 games this year and was solid last year. Filppula has 15 points in 18 games and has really picked up since Stamkos left.

What a game in Winnipeg tonight. Bryan Little scores his 12th of the year to tie it with less than six seconds to go. The goaltending for both of these teams is a mess, though. Winnipeg believes in Pavelec, but he's horrible. Jonas Hiller will end up with one of these two teams or the Islanders this offseason. Or at the deadline.

Edited by DStebb

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.