Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Again, a player should be allowed to have his back to the play if he's playing the puck. McLeod had plenty of time to make a hockey play instead of just crushing Kronwall in the dome.

I'll reiterate. Body checking used to be an art. It involved more than just hitting a guy as hard as you could. The entire premise is to slow that player from being involved in the action. The big hit is not necessary.

Except if Kronwall followed his original course, he curves around the boards and is hit from the side.

Gottit. So all you have to do is turn your back to someone in the corner and you are off limits and get a free play on the puck. That's crap.

You need to expect to be hit at all times and play accordingly. Otherwise, just take it out of the game.

Legitimately going to the boards with your back to the play you should not expect to get hit. This is why checking from behind and boarding existed in the first place.

Again, a player should be allowed to have his back to the play if he's playing the puck. McLeod had plenty of time to make a hockey play instead of just crushing Kronwall in the dome.

I'll reiterate. Body checking used to be an art. It involved more than just hitting a guy as hard as you could. The entire premise is to slow that player from being involved in the action. The big hit is not necessary.

But what has happened is that players now abuse that right by holding the puck and turning their back at the last minute to avoid being hit. In doing this they are creating the chance that the checker will turn away and they can break out of the zone. They are also creating the chance that they wait too long and get crushed giving their team a power play.

This is the real problem. A player who legitimately has his back to the play should be off limits.

The biggest problem I see is that a lot of players now turn constantly around the boards to shake the defender. There's a chance that they open up for a brief moment, the defender sees it and goes for the shot and catches the player in a turn and boom.. face into boards.

I have to go find the hit. I do agree that players have to anticipate getting hit just and stop turning their backs at the last minute. It's like a punt returner in football waiting until the last possible moment to raise his arm for a fair catch and then expecting to not get slammed by the guy who just ran 45 yards at full speed to hit him. It happens.

Legitimately going to the boards with your back to the play you should not expect to get hit. This is why checking from behind and boarding existed in the first place.

But what has happened is that players now abuse that right by holding the puck and turning their back at the last minute to avoid being hit. In doing this they are creating the chance that the checker will turn away and they can break out of the zone. They are also creating the chance that they wait too long and get crushed giving their team a power play.

This is the real problem. A player who legitimately has his back to the play should be off limits.

The biggest problem I see is that a lot of players now turn constantly around the boards to shake the defender. There's a chance that they open up for a brief moment, the defender sees it and goes for the shot and catches the player in a turn and boom.. face into boards.

I have to go find the hit. I do agree that players have to anticipate getting hit just and stop turning their backs at the last minute. It's like a punt returner in football waiting until the last possible moment to raise his arm for a fair catch and then expecting to not get slammed by the guy who just ran 45 yards at full speed to hit him. It happens.

Agree 100%

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.