Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

What's the story with that kid? Discarded by three organizations already, despite obvious talent.

I know he's had concussion problems, but there has to be something else.

Mainly the concussions. I saw one article site attitude issues but I looked around the Internet for a while and found nothing pertaining to that.

Mainly the concussions. I saw one article site attitude issues but I looked around the Internet for a while and found nothing pertaining to that.

Probably just a combination of the concussions and that he has never met the expectations of his draft position.

Maybe he has reached his ceiling; maybe he needs the right coaches and environment. If he is willing to take a one year two- way contract, why not?

The lowest scoring team NEVER makes the playoffs. GGA is important, but if you can't score, it doesn't matter. They need goals worse than we do.

The Devils have better goaltending, defense and, with the notable exception of Thomas Vanek, better forwards than the Sabres do.

Over that same 4 year period, Kovalchuk's contract would have paid him $46 million.

So he gets an extra $14 million gross, plus whatever extra in lower taxes, and then gets to sign a deal 4 years from now which will almost certainly pay more than $31 million over 8 years. Oh, and he's home. Not a bad deal at all.

So he gets an extra $14 million gross, plus whatever extra in lower taxes, and then gets to sign a deal 4 years from now which will almost certainly pay more than $31 million over 8 years. Oh, and he's home. Not a bad deal at all.

Yeah, from his perspective it really is a no brainer. He could have stuck with New Jersey a few more years and then pulled this trick at any point though. I'd love to know why this contract wound up being structured this way, with the first 2 years being cheap. Part of me thinks that him leaving was planned all along. Why didn't he leave for Russia immediately when he was a free agent instead of agreeing to, and actually playing out those first two cheap salary seasons?

Yeah but they're not the Sabres so it's a great idea!

/everythread

Meh, atleast they have a slight chance that the plan could get used.......

Also, if it doesn't get used by the Leafs, they could always save it for their MLS Soccer team, or the Raptors. It could even just be the left over plans from the Argos parade...

Yeah, from his perspective it really is a no brainer. He could have stuck with New Jersey a few more years and then pulled this trick at any point though. I'd love to know why this contract wound up being structured this way, with the first 2 years being cheap. Part of me thinks that him leaving was planned all along. Why didn't he leave for Russia immediately when he was a free agent instead of agreeing to, and actually playing out those first two cheap salary seasons?

I don't think anybody expected Kovy to play out the contract, but I'm not sure either side thought he'd "retire" after only two years. There were reports that playing in the KHL during the lockout really changed his opinion of the league and made it a real option. Combine that with the state of the Devils roster and the structure of his contract, and maybe everything just came together at the right time for him to leave. I wonder if, following the lockout, he had a conversation with Lou about wanting to leave eventually and Lou said he should go after this year because of the structure of the contract and the massive cap recapture penalties the Devils would face if Kovy played a few more years (we know Lou knew, just speculation how the conversation went).

The KHL doesn't seem to have much interest in league parity (certainly not in the way the NHL does; maybe that's a funny role reversal from the capitalist-communist days). That allows KHL teams to operate with out financial restraint and individual player salary limits.

Whereas the NHL is interested in keeping the poorer teams afloat and the financial playing field even to raise the league as a whole, it seems like the KHL moneybags are looking to advance the top clubs for now and either dominate the league for a while or perhaps drop/relegate the weaker teams eventually.

If the KHL had financial parity, I'm guessing they couldn't offer contracts like that.

Edited by IKnowPhysics

What's the story with that kid? Discarded by three organizations already, despite obvious talent.

I know he's had concussion problems, but there has to be something else.

No, that was pretty much it. I'm very surprised Tallon didn't re-sign him. So you might be right, there might be something else. If so, it's nothing obvious. He stayed healthy all year, he busted his ass and was very vocal on the ice. I think Darcy needs to concentrate on one or two high scoring forwards, but if not I would like to see Mueller.

I don't think anybody expected Kovy to play out the contract, but I'm not sure either side thought he'd "retire" after only two years. There were reports that playing in the KHL during the lockout really changed his opinion of the league and made it a real option. Combine that with the state of the Devils roster and the structure of his contract, and maybe everything just came together at the right time for him to leave. I wonder if, following the lockout, he had a conversation with Lou about wanting to leave eventually and Lou said he should go after this year because of the structure of the contract and the massive cap recapture penalties the Devils would face if Kovy played a few more years (we know Lou knew, just speculation how the conversation went).

I haven't read up on the recapture at all, so I'm not sure if it works both ways or not. If he had "retired" prior to this past season, he would have played two years earning $6 million each. But his cap hit was $6.67 million. So if he had "retired", would the Devils instead have INCREASED their cap limit through the end of the contract. If that's the case and Lou was talking to him, he should have convinced him to bail on this past season instead. That 9th overall pick would have been even better too.

I haven't read up on the recapture at all, so I'm not sure if it works both ways or not. If he had "retired" prior to this past season, he would have played two years earning $6 million each. But his cap hit was $6.67 million. So if he had "retired", would the Devils instead have INCREASED their cap limit through the end of the contract. If that's the case and Lou was talking to him, he should have convinced him to bail on this past season instead. That 9th overall pick would have been even better too.

recapture only goes one way.

recapture only goes one way.

Kind of. You can't REGAIN cap, but say you got a cap advantage of $5 mill total but then have a year where you pay less for a higher cap hit then you take the difference. It's a "net" cap advantage, but you can NEVER get cap back.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.