Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

That but I found it interesting Chris Nichols included this Chris Nichols@Nichols_NHLPool 15m

#Bruins make Patrice Bergeron's eight-year extension official this morning. $6.5 million cap hit per year, plus free medical coverage.

I always assumed all NHL players got free med coverage

It's a joke because of all of the playoff injuries.

Long story short, they paid him more in real cash than they did in cap dollars. That balance must be restored, spread over the timeframe of the original contract.

And after all of this, I'm brought back to the original question from last offseason of why they didn't choose to forfeit that 29th overall draft pick. Now they're very likely to be losing a lottery pick. Then again, some of the talking heads idiotically think the league may now cancel out that punishment. I actually wouldn't put it past them now that they've let a guy "retire" so he could go and play in another league.

I knew they'd regret it the second they didn't give up that pick. I hope Matteau is an absolute flop so they can feel it even more. So dumb. Maybe they thought they'd be able to get out of the deal.

So much Kovy irony - but the best is they've already burned their #1 pick in the 2014 draft because of the cap circumvention penalty getting Kovy - and I would make NJ odds on for a lottery pick.

It's funny how so many are willing to write off the Devils. If I were making the odds I would say the Devils make the playoffs and LL is executive of the year.

The Devil's have known for awhile now that Kovalchuk wanted to go home to play. The Devil's target Clowe and Ryder, two veteran forwards as well as adding a quality backup goaltender in Schneider. i don't believe the Devils were caught off-guard for one second.

It's funny how so many are willing to write off the Devils. If I were making the odds I would say the Devils make the playoffs and LL is executive of the year.

The Devil's have known for awhile now that Kovalchuk wanted to go home to play. The Devil's target Clowe and Ryder, two veteran forwards as well as adding a quality backup goaltender in Schneider. i don't believe the Devils were caught off-guard for one second.

Just because they weren't caught off guard doesn't mean it doesn't hurt them. Japan knew those nukes were coming, didn't help them.

Who scores for them? And if Marty Brodeur has another bad year they're doomed. And I don't think they'll replace him as the starter no matter what (except injury) this year. Schneider will get his time when Marty retires after this season.

Edited by DStebb

Just because they weren't caught off guard doesn't mean it doesn't hurt them. Japan knew those nukes were coming, didn't help them.

Who scores for them? And if Marty Brodeur has another bad year they're doomed. And I don't think they'll replace him as the starter no matter what (except injury) this year. Schneider will get his time when Marty retires after this season.

Brodeur and Schneider are a tandem, possible the best in the Eastern Conference. The Devils have been one of the premier teams in the NHL for 20 years with a formula of goaltending, solid defense and timely scoring. They have the goaltending, their defense is solid and they have $10 mil to acquire offensive help. I'm not calling the Devils the favorite in the East, I will say they are better than a lottery team. It's never wise to bet against Lou.

...Really? I mean, I can somewhat understand this statement for the second nuke, somewhat, but for Hiroshima, this statement is absurd. Nobody, even the U.S., had any true inkling of what the repercussions for of such an unprecedented weapon would be. To claim that a mere warning to the Japanese government of the possibilities of this attack, for that was what they were at the time of the warning, could really be considered as a justification for their decision not to surrender, or act otherwise for that matter, is to simplify a landmark event in human history by a long stretch.

Besides the accuracy of this statement, the relevancy of it to this board made me wanna write this. Sorry for the rant, not usually one to do that around here, but this one got me.

Brodeur and Schneider are a tandem, possible the best in the Eastern Conference. The Devils have been one of the premier teams in the NHL for 20 years with a formula of goaltending, solid defense and timely scoring. They have the goaltending, their defense is solid and they have $10 mil to acquire offensive help. I'm not calling the Devils the favorite in the East, I will say they are better than a lottery team. It's never wise to bet against Lou.

I agree. They will be better than the Sabres with or withour Vanek and Miller.

I like their blueline. But make lines out of those forwards for me. I cant get too far.

That cap space is only useful if there's offensive help left to acquire. And there isn't. I'll gladly place a charity wager on the Devils, no way they make the playoffs this year.

That cap space is only useful if there's offensive help left to acquire. And there isn't. I'll gladly place a charity wager on the Devils, no way they make the playoffs this year.

I'll bet $20 that the Devils make the playoffs this year. I think the Devils are going to play the more of the traditional Devils style this season. A lot of 2-1, 3-2 games.

I'll bet $20 that the Devils make the playoffs this year. I think the Devils are going to play the more of the traditional Devils style this season. A lot of 2-1, 3-2 games.

Bet! That's booked! I'm definitely taking that action. PM me for the proper charity protocol and we'll work it out.

I'll wager 20 virtual high fives that the New Jersey Devils do not qualify for the 2013-2014 NHL playoffs.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.