Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Oh man, Devils fans are pissed.

I cant imagine.... he tells them NOW!? after the draft? after free agency? they could have possibly re-signed Clarkson with that money. boy did he screw them over. not to mention they lose their first round pick next year bc of his contract.

theyve lost parise clarkson and now kovi and a 1st rd pick in a year. ouch

Kovalchuk announces his retirement from the NHL?!?! :o

Tom Gulitti@TGfireandice 3m

Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement. This is not a fake.

Retweeted by Greg Wyshynski

Kovalchuk announces his retirement from the NHL?!?! :o

Tom Gulitti@TGfireandice 3m

Ilya Kovalchuk has announced his retirement. This is not a fake.

Retweeted by Greg Wyshynski

Sorry for your loss DeLuca. Though it may look bleak now, things will get better.

Wow that is shocking

Suddenly the Sabres have competition for being the worst team next season. I'd like to get their 1st in 2015 for starters in any Vanek trade.

As they have lost next years they have to make sure it isn't high. Imagine if they get the first overall! Their record was awful without Kovy

If I were a Devil's fan i'd be Cleavlending (verb: to completely overreact to the loss of a sports star) right now. I'd say this is worse than Lebron's departure honestly, at least he was a ufa and did it for a championship, not for the money. Both kind of screwed over their team's respective goals/aims in the offseason because of the ambiguiity of their decisions, but I feel like Kovy's is just inexcusable.

Side note, is there anything built into a contract that can legally prevent this? I thought about it, and except for withholding the money of the contract, which really doesn't matter because a) you're not fulfilling it and b) the primary concern for the team isn't the money, it's the service of said player, is there anything that can be done to prevent this?

I remember reading somewhere that the NHL and KHL honor each others' contracts. Could there be an issue upcoming with that? Like will the KHL team that lands him need to buy out the contract/pay off the Devs?

The Devils must be okay with this as they voided his deal. In the long run it helps them get away from that ridiculous contract. http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=677712&navid=DL|NHL|home

Sorry for your loss DeLuca. Though it may look bleak now, things will get better.

Every hockey fan should be feeling the loss. The NHL is losing one of it's best players.

If this were the Sabres I would consider it devastating. There is no doubt that Lou Lamoriello will deal with this while keeping the Devils on track. That is the advantage of having one of the best GMs in all of sports.

Edited by deluca67

The Devils must be okay with this as they voided his deal. In the long run it helps them get away from that ridiculous contract. http://www.nhl.com/i...vid=DL|NHL|home

True. But I doubt, given their current scoring depth, they really wanted rid of that contract. Ive been a devs fan since 8( Stevens will always be my idol) and I have to say this summer is incredibly depressing on both fronts.

This is hilariously awesome. Devils Nation (county?) is absolutely pissing rage and despair.

So it's worth my time to spend a little bit perusing a Devils forum? Outstanding.

Every hockey fan should be feeling the loss. The NHL is losing one of it's best players.

If this were the Sabres I would consider it devastating. There is no doubt that Lou Lamoriello will deal with this while keeping the Devils on track. That is the advantage of having one of the best GMs in all of sports.

There's no way you can just take a loss like Kovalchuk "in stride" especially when you lost Parise the year before. Doesn't matter how good the GM is when you lose two of the best players in the game.

Ha - my a$$, it wasn't about the money. He may have been telling the truth about missing his family, but I doubt he leaves that money on the table if the KHL weren't willing to make it worthwhile.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.