Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Shero and Bylsma have both been fired according to Bob McKenzie

not surprising. ownership knows it must push to get another cup or 2 while the top-end of that roster is still in its prime. it is strange that shero, specifically, could not figure out how to be part of that push. it will be interesting to see who they bring in, and what changes they make.

not surprising. ownership knows it must push to get another cup or 2 while the top-end of that roster is still in its prime. it is strange that shero, specifically, could not figure out how to be part of that push. it will be interesting to see who they bring in, and what changes they make.

I actually was reading an article the other day, WGR or one of the buffalo sports guys who took a look at the Pens drafts since 2007 and they have almost 0 players from the first 2 rounds since then. A major issue they have is a complete lack of depth on their roster outside Crosby and Malkin.

Shero supposedly would be an immediate front runner for Washington job according to McKenzie

Edited by LGR4GM

Any chance they make a push for Miller?

Or do they have too much salary tied up in Crosby and Malkin already?

I honestly don't think they need both. I would trade Malkin and stabilize the whole team. You could get a fantastic second line centre, an established top line winger, a decent third line player a few top notch prospects and a few picks.

They need to retrench around Crosby and make it a better whole team.

Look at Chicago - they have Toews/Kane as their core and then around them they have a fantastic supporting cast

Shero: Maybe the failure to improve the goaltender position?

I'm betting there must be some philosophical differences between Lemieux and Shero.

If I was a team looking for a GM I'd hire Shero in a Brooklyn version of a New York minute - or at least a Washington one. :flirt:

I honestly don't think they need both. I would trade Malkin and stabilize the whole team. You could get a fantastic second line centre, an established top line winger, a decent third line player a few top notch prospects and a few picks.

They need to retrench around Crosby and make it a better whole team.

Look at Chicago - they have Toews/Kane as their core and then around them they have a fantastic supporting cast

Respectfully, I could not disagree more. You never, EVER, trade away a franchise player in his prime to enable you to sign a few lesser players. And your example of Toews and Kane bears that out -- Chicago needs both of those guys.

I think it's one of Miller's most likely landing spots.

Possible, but I don't think Pittsburgh is going to want to pay what it will cost to get Miller. Fleury has been a weak link in the past, but not this year. More importantly, their most pressing need is secondary scoring.

Any chance they make a push for Miller?

Or do they have too much salary tied up in Crosby and Malkin already?

This was going to be my response when I started reading this discussion. It is very hard to build up some depth when you have two guys who average out to a cap hit over $9 million. And the $7.25 million to Letang tightens the noose a bit more. That's not to say that it can't be done, but the tighter cap space magnifies any other mistake you might make while building that team, like, say, locking up a dud of a goalie for $5 million a year.

I heard a comment from a Pittsburgh reported on XM's NHL station the other day stating that not only does Malkin have his no trade clause, but he also has no interest in playing anywhere but Pittsburgh. He'd rather go back to Russia than be moved. Obviously there are limits to a statement like that, but it sure as hell will make any team thing twice before even starting trade negotiations.

edit: And as for the comparisons to Chicago that have been thrown out there, we'll see what happens there starting this offseason. Kane and Toews are both due for hefty raises and they'll no doubt be right up there near the Crosby/Malkin money.

Edited by shrader

This was going to be my response when I started reading this discussion. It is very hard to build up some depth when you have two guys who average out to a cap hit over $9 million. And the $7.25 million to Letang tightens the noose a bit more. That's not to say that it can't be done, but the tighter cap space magnifies any other mistake you might make while building that team, like, say, locking up a dud of a goalie for $5 million a year.

I heard a comment from a Pittsburgh reported on XM's NHL station the other day stating that not only does Malkin have his no trade clause, but he also has no interest in playing anywhere but Pittsburgh. He'd rather go back to Russia than be moved. Obviously there are limits to a statement like that, but it sure as hell will make any team thing twice before even starting trade negotiations.

edit: And as for the comparisons to Chicago that have been thrown out there, we'll see what happens there starting this offseason. Kane and Toews are both due for hefty raises and they'll no doubt be right up there near the Crosby/Malkin money.

Yeah, doesn't exactly make you want to part with assets for a guy who most likely will end up ditching you.

Respectfully, I could not disagree more. You never, EVER, trade away a franchise player in his prime to enable you to sign a few lesser players. And your example of Toews and Kane bears that out -- Chicago needs both of those guys.

I completely agree--trading Malkin would be nuts. The Pens' problem (goaltending aside) is the bottom-6 gives them absolutely nothing, which has been a major problem since they had to move Staal. The Pens crushed possession when Crosby and/or Malkin was on the ice, and got slaughtered every time they weren't. The luxury of having Crosby and Malkin is that you don't need to have elite wingers to score goals, guys like Kunitz go from 20 to 30 and Neal from 20 to 40. Get a decent goaltender, fix the bottom-6 (3rd line in particular), and problems solved.

@FriedgeHNIC

PIT President David Morehouse says Shero is let go, but says coaching staff is still to be evaluated. So, Dan Bylsma is not out.

WHAT?

Probably going to let the new GM decide. Either that, or they really do blame Shero for the playoff disappointments--at least half makes sense since he's the one who committed to Fleury.

What's that Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, Philadelphia, Calgary, Vancouver...?

That kind of rapid turnover is pretty unusual, isn't it?

Buffalo was actually ahead of the curve on this one.

I count less than half of league with "veteran" GMs now. Twelve teams will have a guy who has been on the job two years or less.

And Sather, Lamoriello, Holland, Poile, Lombardi and Bryan Murray seem to be the only old boys left.

Edited by dudacek

What's that Pittsburgh, Washington, Carolina, Philadelphia, Calgary, Vancouver...?

That kind of rapid turnover is pretty unusual, isn't it?

Buffalo was actually ahead of the curve on this one.

I count less than half of league with "veteran" GMs now. Twelve teams will have a guy who has been on the job two years or less.

And Sather, Lamoriello, Holland, Poile, Lombardi and Bryan Murray seem to be the only old boys left.

And I think Stan in Chicago is still only 39 or 40 years old.

Probably going to let the new GM decide. Either that, or they really do blame Shero for the playoff disappointments--at least half makes sense since he's the one who committed to Fleury.

It's a nice simple way of passing the decision off to someone else. If Bylsma goes on to successfully coach somewhere else after the new GM fires him, the president can claim it wasn't his call.

Hodgson with two more today, albeit against Italy.

Speaking of hockey powerhouses, freaking Kazakhstan has taken the US to overtime.

"King in the Castle,n King in the Castle, I have a chair, I have a chair!"

Hodgson with two more today, albeit against Italy.

Speaking of hockey powerhouses, freaking Kazakhstan has taken the US to overtime.

"King in the Castle,n King in the Castle, I have a chair, I have a chair!"

Well Kazakhstan is the greatest country in the world. All other countries are run by little girls.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.