Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

What would make Pierre McGuire more "connected" than Brisebois, Botterill, Fenton, and/or Rutherford? He was a scout 20 years ago and has been a TV announcer...while they have consistently been involved in the league, building hockey teams.

(And I'm not trying to be a jerk and call you out, I am legitimately asking because I have absolutely zero clue.)

Like somebody else said, it seems like this is going to be Matt Millen, but in the NHL...why not Jeremy Roenick? lol.

He's the Jay Glazer of hockey. He gained connections while in the league and has worked his ass off as a journalist to keep those connections up and gain many more.

He's the Jay Glazer of hockey. He gained connections while in the league and has worked his ass off as a journalist to keep those connections up and gain many more.

Means nothing. His current "connections" might only be cordial to him because of his current job, and could secretly dislike him, which wouldn't help him as GM.

Means nothing. His current "connections" might only be cordial to him because of his current job, and could secretly dislike him, which wouldn't help him as GM.

I'm sure some connections dislike him, but the same could be said for all. His connections will help him. Period.

If thats the case, then what makes him different than any other candidate?

The more the merrier.

He has been out of hockey forever. Why do you think he has been/is being strongly considered for jobs? Because teams want to do sneaky things in the background while he blinds the media with his waxed cap?

Edited by Tankalicious

The more the merrier.

He has been out of hockey forever. Why do you think he has been/is being strongly considered for jobs? Because teams want to do sneaky things in the background while he blinds the media with his waxed cap?

Why do you think that he had been out of hockey forever? Why is he "strongly considered" for the jobs, and never gets them?

Why do you think that he had been out of hockey forever? Why is he "strongly considered" for the jobs, and never gets them?

I'd suspect it's because a mixture of him being picky and losing out to guys who have more than just connections.

I'm not saying he's a great candidate for anything. I'm saying the connections are what make him a solid candidate in some eyes. Might never make him more than a candidate. Might never make him more than a couple-year GM failure. Who knows.

Now that I feel like I almost defended McGuire I need to clean myself.

Edited by Tankalicious

Not only that....he's been able to scout every team the past 5 years from 3 feet away. You don't think he sees and hears stuff every night that gives him insight on stuff even players' own GM's don't know?

A decent point. But I really think knowing players at the NHL level isn't as important as knowing all the players and coaches at the AHL level, and perhaps the CHL level if you are building a winner.

Guest Sloth

Possibly another Barry Melrose? Yes, there is a difference between coaching and management, but McGuire has been "away" from the game for a very long time. Look how things turned out for Melrose when he attempted a return to the NHL.

Boyle's agent, George Bazos, says defenseman plans to test market, but open to reunion with #TBLightning. "I know he loves it down there."

That was before the Isles trade. The Isles must be prepared to give him a very good deal.

Boyle's agent, George Bazos, says defenseman plans to test market, but open to reunion with #TBLightning. "I know he loves it down there."

That was before the Isles trade. The Isles must be prepared to give him a very good deal.

I wouldn't be shocked if they threw a lot of large 1 year deals out - delay that pick and get to the playoffs

I wouldn't be shocked if they threw a lot of large 1 year deals out - delay that pick and get to the playoffs

I wouldn't be surprised if they desperately do that and flame out as the over the hill over priced gang falters. They have actually built up a pretty good stable of young talent but Garth will likely blow it all to hell in order to try and save face.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.