Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I wouldn't be surprised if they desperately do that and flame out as the over the hill over priced gang falters. They have actually built up a pretty good stable of young talent but Garth will likely blow it all to hell in order to try and save face.

For real.

Although, signing a bunch of guys to short deals worked out for Florida a few years ago when they made the playoffs. You'd hope that Garth looks at their current state and realizes it's not a legitimate long-term plan.

I wouldn't be surprised if they desperately do that and flame out as the over the hill over priced gang falters. They have actually built up a pretty good stable of young talent but Garth will likely blow it all to hell in order to try and save face.

No organizational depth on the Island. Beyond Tavares, Neilson, and Okposo (who i'm pretty sure will come back down to earth this year) - they don't have much up front. Nobody on the left side. Even less on defense. They may be better next year, but the question is better than who? They don't match up well with anybody.

No organizational depth on the Island. Beyond Tavares, Neilson, and Okposo (who i'm pretty sure will come back down to earth this year) - they don't have much up front. Nobody on the left side. Even less on defense. They may be better next year, but the question is better than who? They don't match up well with anybody.

So I'm not alone on this.

So a team that struggles with the blue line and goaltending, and offensive depth, goes out and hires a GM who has trouble assembling a blue line and offensive depth. Brilliant!

Too funny. It just occurred to me Rutherford probably had the worst longest career in net himself.

He just wasn't very good for years!

The Carolina gm for life goes to Pitt.

Actually he often did a decent job managing small market budgets.

On Dan Boyle: worth noting that he had a limited no-trade clause (could list eight teams that he wouldn't accept a trade to). New York must not have been listed.

Could also be that he knew he wasn't going to be back in San Jose and didn't care what they did with him.

On Dan Boyle: worth noting that he had a limited no-trade clause (could list eight teams that he wouldn't accept a trade to). New York must not have been listed.

Could also be that he knew he wasn't going to be back in San Jose and didn't care what they did with him.

I don't believe trading his rights falls under the NTC since he's not technically Islanders property yet. But I could be wrong.

I don't believe trading his rights falls under the NTC since he's not technically Islanders property yet. But I could be wrong.

He's still under contract until July 1st.

Got the NMC stuff from here:

@JasonGregor: Boyle had a NMC, so it would seem very likely he signs with Islanders. NYI trying to guarantee the 1st rounder Buff gets isn't top-10.

Edited by Tankalicious

He's still under contract until July 1st.

Got the NMC stuff from here:

@JasonGregor: Boyle had a NMC, so it would seem very likely he signs with Islanders. NYI trying to guarantee the 1st rounder Buff gets isn't top-10.

Interesting. Is it possible Boyle signs with the Islanders to get SJ the pick, then demands a trade at the deadline to a contender? Because that would be very Islanders.

Interesting. Is it possible Boyle signs with the Islanders to get SJ the pick, then demands a trade at the deadline to a contender? Because that would be very Islanders.

I think the Isles will have to throw a pretty ridiculous offer Boyle's way to get him to turn away from free agency now. No reason to not hit the open market.

Pretty clear the Pens didn't fire him right after the playoffs to avoid the "Crosby/Malkin cost Bylsma his job" headlines. Firing a GM can be filed under just not putting together the right supporting cast. Firing the coach right after hiring your new GM can go under claiming that the new GM wanted his own guy.

@penguins: Jason Botterill promoted to #Pens Associate GM; Bill Guerin & Tom Fitzgerald named Assistant GMs. Full story → http://t.co/gHgNQWjKoo

Associate GM title is a small upgrade from assistant that allows them to keep Botterill happy a little longer.

Edited by Tankalicious

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.