Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

I'm thinking that I heard Gretzky say in an interview that he wanted to stay an Oiler for his entire career. Until the trade happened.

I think I'd prefer the stability, personally.

Yea, Gretzky didn't want to leave. He admitted during the 30 for 30 that he never wanted to be traded, but the second he heard the team was considering it he helped push his way out. He wanted to be the highest paid and realized they weren't giving it to him.

According to reports, Pierre McGuire is in Pittsburgh for his second interview for the vacant GM position. The big appeal for Pierre as a GM candidate, for those wondering, is that he's EXTREMELY connected. There might not be a guy with more connections in the league. I'm PRAYING that he gets the job so I can stop hearing him on broadcasts.

He also recently praised Gerard Gallant, an assistant in Montreal. Said he deserves to be a head coach. Wonder if that connection links up somewhere.

Edited by Tankalicious

According to reports, Pierre McGuire is in Pittsburgh for his second interview for the vacant GM position. The big appeal for Pierre as a GM candidate, for those wondering, is that he's EXTREMELY connected. There might not be a guy with more connections in the league. I'm PRAYING that he gets the job so I can stop hearing him on broadcasts.

Hmm. I've been praying that he would just take a coaching position in the KHL.

NBC's French Irishman, Pierre McGuire, is rumored to be a candidate for the next Pens GM job.

http://espn.go.com/nhl/story/_/id/11025503/pierre-mcguire-candidate-pittsburgh-penguins-gm-job

Yea that's been floating for a while. He had two interviews. One in person and one over the phone.

For those wondering what makes him such a common GM candidate: his connections. There might not be a more connected person in all of hockey. As much as I can't stand him on broadcasts.

Edited by Tankalicious

Yea that's been floating for a while. He had two interviews. One in person and one over the phone.

For those wondering what makes him such a common GM candidate: his connections. There might not be a more connected person in all of hockey. As much as I can't stand him on broadcasts.

We can only hope it works out as well as it did for the Lions and Matt Millen.

You said that before and I laughed both times. His connections don't make him a great candidate for a GM job. They make him a great candidate for an analyst job. I can't think of one circumstance where his connections would aid him in running a team, especially a team that already boasts Mario Lemieux in the front office and Crosby on the ice.

Besides, it's a small fraternity. They are all connected.

You said that before and I laughed both times. His connections don't make him a great candidate for a GM job. They make him a great candidate for an analyst job. I can't think of one circumstance where his connections would aid him in running a team, especially a team that already boasts Mario Lemieux in the front office and Crosby on the ice.

Well said. Pretty much echo my thoughts. Unless Pierre has a team of scouts, coaches, and assistants he's ready to bring aboard to a job, he's connections mean little.

Having good relationships with just about everybody around the league is, no doubt, a great tool to have... To say it's not going to aid him for a GM job is pretty mind boggling.

I've read multiple times about his connections being what makes him a good candidate.

Having good relationships with just about everybody around the league is, no doubt, a great tool to have... To say it's not going to aid him for a GM job is pretty mind boggling.

I've read multiple times about his connections being what makes him a good candidate.

Not only that....he's been able to scout every team the past 5 years from 3 feet away. You don't think he sees and hears stuff every night that gives him insight on stuff even players' own GM's don't know?

Not only that....he's been able to scout every team the past 5 years from 3 feet away. You don't think he sees and hears stuff every night that gives him insight on stuff even players' own GM's don't know?

Certainly. His current job will serve him very well. He's gotten close to agents, players, coaches and more in his current career. If those connections won't help him then I'm not sure what would.

Over or under 2 hours before he asks to give Crosby a ######?

If I were his GM I'd already be asking if he want seconds.

Maybe now if he does get the job, this will be one less announcer people wil complain about when they heap praise on the game's best player.

If I were his GM I'd already be asking if he want seconds.

Maybe now if he does get the job, this will be one less announcer people wil complain about when they heap praise on the game's best player.

Yea, I don't get the constant hate of every announcer other than your own team's group. Or the hate for giving praise to certain players more than others.

I have read many times how important face offs are. Doesn't make it right.

Connections get you interviews. They probably help you when you are building an organization from scratch. An organization that already has a hockey legend in the front office and arguably the leagues best player, not so much.

What would make Pierre McGuire more "connected" than Brisebois, Botterill, Fenton, and/or Rutherford? He was a scout 20 years ago and has been a TV announcer...while they have consistently been involved in the league, building hockey teams.

(And I'm not trying to be a jerk and call you out, I am legitimately asking because I have absolutely zero clue.)

Like somebody else said, it seems like this is going to be Matt Millen, but in the NHL...why not Jeremy Roenick? lol.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.