Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Didn't know where to put this, but I didn't want to wait until July for our Official 2015 NHL Draft Thread to open up :P

Connor McDavid was drafted on Thursday.

Though the Erie Otters star isn't eligible for the NHL Draft until 2015, when the 17-year-old Toronto native is projected to be the top pick, McDavid was drafted 77th overall in the annual KHL draft by Croatian team Medvescak Zagreb.

Conceivably, McDavid could forgo his final season in the OHL next year and sign with Medvescak, but that would seriously compromise McDavid's NHL draft stock rendering such a move beyond unlikely.

McDavid finished fourth in the OHL in points with 21 goals and 78 assists.

http://www.tsn.ca/dr...tory/?id=451613

Edited by WildCard

Saying that McDavid playing in the KHL against men instead of boys in the OHL will "compromise" his draft stock is absurd. Stupidly, dumbingly, wrong.

No, no it isn't. Not even in the slightest. Moving to the KHL is a pointless risk, and a pointless move to a style of play/ice that differs from the NHL.

Edited by Tankalicious

Saying that McDavid playing in the KHL against men instead of boys in the OHL will "compromise" his draft stock is absurd. Stupidly, dumbingly, wrong.

No, no it isn't. Not even in the slightest. Moving to the KHL is a pointless risk, and a pointless move to a style of play/ice that differs from the NHL.

Pretty sure you're both thinking the same thing here, because neither of you seem dumb enough to believe playing in the KHL is a good idea for him. Am I right, or should I bold "seem" :ph34r:

Edited by WildCard

Pretty sure you're both thinking the same thing here, because neither of you seem dumb enough to believe playing in the KHL is a good idea for him. Am I right, or should I bold "seem" :ph34r:

I think Quick actually thinks it's not a bad thing...

It would not hurt his draft stock. Not even a little bit. If he goes to the KHL for a year he still goes #1.

Probably, but there's far more risk and chance to hurt his draft stock by making this move than just staying.

It's an interesting question as to whether or not it would help his development. He would be playing against tougher competition, but on a different ice surface. Switching for a year only to switch back the following year is a definite downside, and likely why McDavid wouldn't consider it. But I think he's good enough that there's a very real chance playing in the K instead of the O next year accelerates his development, rather than hampers it.

Probably, but there's far more risk and chance to hurt his draft stock by making this move than just staying.

Really? Is somebody really going to pass on McDavid because he went to play in Russia? Barring injury, I say there's no chance McDavid goes later than 1.

Really? Is somebody really going to pass on McDavid because he went to play in Russia? Barring injury, I say there's no chance McDavid goes later than 1.

There's more of a chance that his draft stock is hurt by going to the KHL than just staying. That's all I'm saying. I'm not saying it will actually change anything. I don't think it would. But it's a pointless risk... Plain and simple.

The only thing that knocks him out of number one while staying in the OHL is if he has a career-threatening injury.

Edited by Tankalicious

It's an interesting question as to whether or not it would help his development. He would be playing against tougher competition, but on a different ice surface. Switching for a year only to switch back the following year is a definite downside, and likely why McDavid wouldn't consider it. But I think he's good enough that there's a very real chance playing in the K instead of the O next year accelerates his development, rather than hampers it.

1st he isn't going. 2nd it would not hurt his draft stock one little ounce if he did. The only that will change his draft stock is Jack Eichel.

1st he isn't going. 2nd it would not hurt his draft stock one little ounce if he did. The only that will change his draft stock is Jack Eichel.

There's just about nothing (realistic) that Jack Eichel could do to move up to number one. It's all about McDavid and not having a major injury. Eichel, while amazing, isn't even a lock to go number two.

I've heard a thousand times on how Armia, Risto, etc. all these Finns and Sweeds playing in "men" leagues gives them better competition and develops them better but not matter who it seems to be, whenever they come over to North America and play in a different rink all I hear is, "it's tough to adjust to the rink difference, it'll take them a while to adjust..." I don't care how much tougher the KHL is compared to the OHL, that much adjustment to different rinks will only hamper him, not help him.

Besides, it's not even as though he's playing in the Q or even the WHL, the OHL is about as tough of competition he can get at his age, and he's dominating it. If it ain't broke....

As Tank said, it's just a pointless risk IMO

I've heard a thousand times on how Armia, Risto, etc. all these Finns and Sweeds playing in "men" leagues gives them better competition and develops them better but not matter who it seems to be, whenever they come over to North America and play in a different rink all I hear is, "it's tough to adjust to the rink difference, it'll take them a while to adjust..." I don't care how much tougher the KHL is compared to the OHL, that much adjustment to different rinks will only hamper him, not help him.

Besides, it's not even as though he's playing in the Q or even the WHL, the OHL is about as tough of competition he can get at his age, and he's dominating it. If it ain't broke....

I'm inclined to agree with all of this.

There's just about nothing (realistic) that Jack Eichel could do to move up to number one. It's all about McDavid and not having a major injury. Eichel, while amazing, isn't even a lock to go number two.

I think we're going to see a little of the "Reinhart" effect here. People have been talking about McDavid sense he's been 16. Next year they won't have another draft to sidetrack them, this will be all they'll talk about. Eventually they're going to start running out of juice for how amazing McDavid is and they'll start sparking a McDavid or Eichel debate.

The only realistic thing I've heard about Eichel potentiall challenging Mcdavid is his play in big games; he seems to show up whereas the limelight may be too bright for McDavid. I emphasize may be

Very Nice....

I think we're going to see a little of the "Reinhart" effect here. People have been talking about McDavid sense he's been 16. Next year they won't have another draft to sidetrack them, this will be all they'll talk about. Eventually they're going to start running out of juice for how amazing McDavid is and they'll start sparking a McDavid or Eichel debate.

The only realistic thing I've heard about Eichel potentiall challenging Mcdavid is his play in big games; he seems to show up whereas the limelight may be too bright for McDavid. I emphasize may be

I don't see it happening with McDavid, even though I'm the only that has claimed it has happened with Reinhart. The reason it happened to Reinhart is because he's the best player in a weak draft that never truly separated himself. McDavid is the best player in a great draft class and has separated himself.

Nice points. It seemed to help Nichushkin, though. I just think that if any player could benefit from playing against pros earlier in his career, it'd be McDavid. As almost everyone has pointed out, it's purely academic as there's no reason for him to leave the O.

Nice points. It seemed to help Nichushkin, though. I just think that if any player could benefit from playing against pros earlier in his career, it'd be McDavid. As almost everyone has pointed out, it's purely academic as there's no reason for him to leave the O.

I see what you mean; the jump from OHL to the NHL is a huge gap, and undoubtedly one he'll make in his rookie season. It would be nice for him to get some tougher competition now instead of just plowing his way through the OHL again. It seems like one of the biggest transitions every European/Junior player makes into the AHL, and more so the NHL, is the league's physicality. It would be sweet if the OHL and the AHL could work out something to give him exceptional status, but at that point everyone from Zadorov to McDavid would be trying to get that status, and the OHL would be in a mess.

Edited by WildCard

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.