Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Ovechkin may be the first player ever to lead the league in goals (he has 48) and be the worst in plus/minus (he's at the bottom now with -36). Do you trade for a guy like that anyway? He was a Sabres fan when he was a kid. Seems like something Pegula would do.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=448095#YourCallTop

Edited by 716

Ovechkin may be the first player ever to lead the league in goals (he has 48) and be the worst in plus/minus (he's at the bottom now with -36). Do you trade for a guy like that anyway? He was a Sabres fan when he was a kid. Seems like something Pegula would do.

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...095#YourCallTop

I hadn't heard he was a Sabres fan as a kid. Was it because of Mogilny?

I'd love to see him in Bflo, but I imagine the asking price would be too steep. And since he won't become an UFA until 2021, I'm not going to hold my breath. But he is an exciting player to watch.

4th round pick.. 121st overall. Freakin Wings can find them. He's becoming a one man highlight reel.

It's been fascinating seeing what talent is showing on that team without Datsyuk dominating the highlights. No one expected Goose to be this impressive.

I don't know where we're getting the "flying" portion of that description as Murray isn't physically capable of leaving the ice. He's caught flat-footed and sticks out the elbow as Kostka goes around. I'll guess 3 games.

Well done sir. Well done.

NHL on TSN@NHLonTSN

Montreal's Douglas Murray suspended 3 games for his elbow on Tampa Bay's Mike Kostka. #TSN #NHL

Not sure if anyones seen or heard the interview with Mike Gillis on am 1040 out of Vancouver this morning but he's essentially given an ultimatum to his owner. Its Torts or me. He wants a return to the up tempo style they played under the former coach. He alluded to the fact that Torts was not his choice but the owners as was the 5 year contract. It was basically an I told you so moment aimed at the owner who from all appearances is a meddler.

I should add that the article I read was on Yahoo so it is a little sensationalist with the ultimatum in the title. Take it for what it is. In my view Gillis has to share much of the blame in Vancouver with some braindead moves and mismanagement in the last couple of years.

Edited by bunomatic

Not sure if anyones seen or heard the interview with Mike Gillis on am 1040 out of Vancouver this morning but he's essentially given an ultimatum to his owner. Its Torts or me. He wants a return to the up tempo style they played under the former coach. He alluded to the fact that Torts was not his choice but the owners as was the 5 year contract. It was basically an I told you so moment aimed at the owner who from all appearances is a meddler.

I should add that the article I read was on Yahoo so it is a little sensationalist with the ultimatum in the title. Take it for what it is. In my view Gillis has to share much of the blame in Vancouver with some braindead moves and mismanagement in the last couple of years.

And it will be funny when the obvious happens and they're both gone.

If Murray needs to fill some roster spots next year with some hard working underachievers looking to get their career back on track, I would love to see Skille get a chance. He was never flashy, but he bsted his balls every night as a Panther. A Nolan type player.

17G/12A in 22 GP.

Retweeted by George Richards

c9fce1df593b75039af73c92260c84f0_bigger.jpegSpringfield Falcons@TheFalconsAHL 51m

Jack Skille SCORES with 16 SECONDS LEFT and the Falcons tie the game at 7-7! That's 4 goals tonight for Skille!

Edited by JJFIVEOH

If Murray needs to fill some roster spots next year with some hard working underachievers looking to get their career back on track, I would love to see Skille get a chance. He was never flashy, but he bsted his balls every night as a Panther. A Nolan type player.

17G/12A in 22 GP.

Retweeted by George Richards

c9fce1df593b75039af73c92260c84f0_bigger.jpegSpringfield Falcons@TheFalconsAHL 51m

Jack Skille SCORES with 16 SECONDS LEFT and the Falcons tie the game at 7-7! That's 4 goals tonight for Skille!

I could see the Sabres taking a chance on Umberger after he becomes a CBJ compliance buyout.

Related to this guy?

https://www.youtube....h?v=dEylfgdwEnQ

This, the Pominville goal clinching goal against Ottawa that year, and the first Sabres vs. Senators game of the series that year are my best memories of being a fan. Granted I'm pretty young, but I just remember coming home from a baseball trip late at night, fuddling with the crappy radio in my mom's mini-van trying to get a signal for this opening game, and coming home just in time to here, "DANNY BRIER! DANNY BRIER!...IN DOUBLE OOOOVVEERRTTIMMMMEEE" I could only hear the audio of the hit, and RJ's call was just so perfect at at the time.

Biased to this version b/c it has RJ calling it, WADR

After hearing these it makes me miss being so into a game :(

Edited by WildCard

My favorite Sabre memory that is actually my least favorite:

Game 7 against Carolina. During both intermissions my step brother who was born in Carolina and I set up a mini-sticks rink. We used two logs for each of the posts and then had long sticks for the crossbar on each end. We used wiffle ball bats as sticks and a wiffle ball for a puck. I scored top shelf after I whacked the ball and it bounced off a rock just before the second intermission was over. I was on top of the world.

And then the Sabres ###### up.

James Mirtle@mirtle 6m

"The Tampa Bay Lightning unveiled a bronze statue of former captain Dave Andreychuk in front of the Tampa Bay Times Forum today."

Sounds like a change of scenery is coming:

@Sportsnet

#Jets forward Evander Kane a likely scratch tonight against the #MapleLeafs: http://bit.ly/1dYyJIy

#NHL @reporterchris

Why do I get the feeling the Isles are going to offer their first round pick this year as part of a package to land Kane?

Why do I get the feeling the Isles are going to offer their first round pick this year as part of a package to land Kane?

That'd actually be a really smart move for them. Which means that Garth Snow will probably come to your house and slip some ricin in your drink.

Actually, the issue with it is that they would then not have a 1st rounder for two straight years. Unless they had another deal to land a first rounder.

Edited by Tankalicious

I think with their goaltending and defense they are a playoff caliber team. How far they go will depend on what Lou Lamoriello adds to the roster.

The Devils for the first time in a long time, at least 14 years (that's as far back as NHL.com stats go) the Devils finished outside of the Top 10 in goals against average. The priority isn't replacing goals, it's getting back traditional Devils hockey and back in the top five of gga.

Devils sitting 2 points out of a playoff spot and #7 in goals against.

I believe there is a $20 bet out there with TrueBluePhD, my charity is the Erie County SPCA.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.