Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

If it's a 3, then it's either Tracy Pratt, who wore 3, or Paul Terbenche, who wore 23, Eddie Shack, a forward, also wore 23 that season. I'm vague on most of the other Sabres, but I remember Shack

Probably Pratt. Defensive zone and he had his hair short at the time from what I see in other pictures.

If it's a 3, then it's either Tracy Pratt, who wore 3, or Paul Terbenche, who wore 23, Eddie Shack, a forward, also wore 23 that season. I'm vague on most of the other Sabres, but I remember Shack

Pratt started the year in 3 but switched to 4 after McMahon was traded for Shack. Terbenche switched to 3. As I mentioned, I'm thinking it's the obscure one.

So, has anyone been watching Toronto that can give some details on which manner they lost 8 in a row to fall out of the playoffs? Is it injuries or are they playing like every early-season Sabres team?

I simply chalk it up to them playing like every late-season Loaf team. Had they played a full season last year they'd've found a way to be golfing 2 weeks earlier than they did.

So, has anyone been watching Toronto that can give some details on which manner they lost 8 in a row to fall out of the playoffs? Is it injuries or are they playing like every early-season Sabres team?

I saw a couple games where it seemed Phaneuf would just tantrum halfway through the game and stop trying. Clarkson has been majorly ineffective as well. The only player I really noticed trying was Kessel. Things just aren't adding up on the ice. I don't think the goalie situation between Reimer and the coach has helped. There's about 8.4 zillion articles floating around right now about how and why they're crashing in such a spectacular fashion since Toronto media is melting down.

I think everyone assumed they'd be a playoff team because they made it last year. I don't think much has changed, and getting in last year was partly due to the shortened season.

Either way, pretty amusing to watch (sorry milbank!).

I simply chalk it up to them playing like every late-season Loaf team. Had they played a full season last year they'd've found a way to be golfing 2 weeks earlier than they did.

no love lost for Leafs here for sure. That they swirling the drain now perhaps it a matter of things evening out, as they a team giving up 40+ per game, goalies holding them in most games. The simply were not a good as record indicated. Having said that it is not they getting blown out , they losing in this run mostly close games, it is inexplicable but sometimes in goes bad and there is seemingly not a way to right it, the harder you try, the worst it gets. They pressing their sticks, sucks if you follow the team, a otherwise if not spectacular, decent season, if not down the drain, in the vortex, the plug on floor, the Leafs with soapy hands and cannot pick it up.

(Taro.... everybody over the boards at you for calling God's team the Loafs. omg the horror, the travesty, )

by the way, they not out of it, a win tonight the right back in picture and as cold as they have been, they can also get hot.

Edited by millbank

no love lost for Leafs here for sure. That they swirling the drain now perhaps it a matter of things evening out, as they a team giving up 40+ per game, goalies holding them in most games. The simply were not a good as record indicated. Having said that it is not they getting blown out , they losing in this run mostly close games, it is inexplicable but sometimes in goes bad and there is seemingly not a way to right it, the harder you try, the worst it gets. They pressing their sticks, sucks if you follow the team, a otherwise if not spectacular, decent season, if not down the drain, in the vortex, the plug on floor, the Leafs with soapy hands and cannot pick it up.

(Taro.... everybody over the boards at you for calling God's team the Loafs. omg the horror, the travesty, )

by the way, they not out of it, a win tonight the right back in picture and as cold as they have been, they can also get hot.

:lol:

You are right, they aren't out yet, but I have faith in them. ;)

Sorry.

oh sure , sure and you take me for idiot , I know its April fools day, you all adore the Leafs... I am not fooled ;)

:lol:

On an AFD tangent, I had an appointment to get service done on my car today; I got to the shop and found out they'd sent the part back w/out telling me. Nearly told the guy 'that's a good one, you nearly had me there.' Unfortunately, not a joke. :doh:

oh sure , sure and you take me for idiot , I know its April fools day, you all adore the Leafs... I am not fooled ;)

I actually want to thank the Leafs for helping me out this weekend. I was in Toronto in an area I'm not totally familiar with and my navigator and I got completely turned around downtown. I knew if I could find the Air Canada (Rogers? whatever) Centre I'd find the Gardiner and be fine. I also knew my home team (Wings) were in town playing the Leafs around this time. I followed the people in mostly Maple Leaf jerseys headed to the game, and thus got out of Toronto! So thank you, Toronto and Detroit fans :)

I actually want to thank the Leafs for helping me out this weekend. I was in Toronto in an area I'm not totally familiar with and my navigator and I got completely turned around downtown. I knew if I could find the Air Canada (Rogers? whatever) Centre I'd find the Gardiner and be fine. I also knew my home team (Wings) were in town playing the Leafs around this time. I followed the people in mostly Maple Leaf jerseys headed to the game, and thus got out of Toronto! So thank you, Toronto and Detroit fans :)

how was driving in Toronto as compared to your home area. I find Toronto traffic scary as the devil

how was driving in Toronto as compared to your home area. I find Toronto traffic scary as the devil

Toronto traffic can be nightmarish but it's one big city I really don't mind driving. I've never really driven downtown Detroit more than a handful of times and never on my own. Not much traffic to speak of if you get onto surface roads. I haven't lived in that area since before college though, so I really don't know how it is these days. d4rk's been there more recently than I have.

Most cities I've shot through on a big highway or took a train into- Toronto I don't mind noodling around in.

Denver though. Worst city I've driven. It's a race to them. No concept of road rules. Everyone's cars are scraped up. Nightmare.

Nothing compares to Italy and France. They make Boston drivers look timid.

Holy crap Paris. I never drove there, mostly stuck to bus/sub, but nearly got killed by an errant BMW motorcyclist more than a few times. Ain't no traffic jam like a Bastille Day in Paris traffic jam.

And Austrian bus drivers. No fear. None. I don't think they're human.

Edited by Josie914

Nothing compares to Italy and France. They make Boston drivers look timid.

Seriously.

Essentially you're taking Boston, narrowing the streets, making them even LESS organized and straight, moving the buildings close to the road, and giving everyone 3-4 shots of espresso or glasses of wine prior to hitting the road.

Oh, and sprinkle in scooters and motorcycles to fill in any available space between the cars.

Bangkok was pretty crazy. I didn't drive there, though. From what I saw from bus and taxis, it's like a big city where people will squeeze to within a foot of each other and never give an inch. The odd thing is no one gets mad about it, there were very few horns. The Thai people in general are laid back, so they seemed to have the attitude that "yeah, you pushed in and I would have done the same". The main problem there is it's not laid out that well so there's always traffic and there's often not large roads to get places.

Tons, and I mean tons of small motorcycles and scooters filter up between the cars to get to the lights (as expected). It's actually the fastest way to travel so there are hordes of scooter taxis where you hop on the back and ride to your destination.

I can attest to this. I still remember Andreas, who drove my high school music tour around Oesterreich and Deustchland. He made great use of the autobahn, and would drink with us when we were sneaking around.

Every tour (concert band thing, school trips) bus I've ever taken in Europe was driven by an Austrian. Who was nuts. In Spain our usual driver (who admittedly was pretty tame if you don't count the vodka swigging and loud singing) was switched out because of a family emergency with a madman who was careening through the mountains up towards Ronda at speeds well exceeding any limit. If you weren't motion sick, you were convinced you were gonna die on account of sheer drops and no guardrails. It was like a never-ending potentially lethal tilt-a-whirl. On the plus side, we could see the Rock of Gibraltar and the distant coast of Africa out the swaying windows...

One of the kids asked him to please slow down and he said "We make it before night or we die. We will die if drive at night. Sun is setting. Driving must be fast. You live we drive."

Ovechkin's talent is useless. He is a cancer, he is lazy and he is selfish. I don't care how many goals he scores or what he does when he gets on a hot streak. It won't last and his team will suffer because of it. It's a real shame because he could be one of the greatest players ever to play in the NHL. I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for him. Hell, I wouldn't want him on this team at all, no way I want his laziness to rub off on all the kids we have coming up. The Caps will never go anywhere with him on the team.

Ovechkin's talent is useless. He is a cancer, he is lazy and he is selfish. I don't care how many goals he scores or what he does when he gets on a hot streak. It won't last and his team will suffer because of it. It's a real shame because he could be one of the greatest players ever to play in the NHL. I wouldn't trade a 1st round pick for him. Hell, I wouldn't want him on this team at all, no way I want his laziness to rub off on all the kids we have coming up. The Caps will never go anywhere with him on the team.

But could Ted Nolan fix him?

He'll never be the center piece of a championship team. He could be a very nice complimentary piece on a team like that can afford to pair him with responsible line-mates, look after the defensive liability he is on the ice and most likely the drama he would cause in the locker room; if I'm on his team and I see him getting all of these minutes, with the "C" on his chest, and he's hustling like that? I'd lose it

But could Ted Nolan fix him?

Nobody is that good.

He'll never be the center piece of a championship team. He could be a very nice complimentary piece on a team like that can afford to pair him with responsible line-mates, look after the defensive liability he is on the ice and most likely the drama he would cause in the locker room; if I'm on his team and I see him getting all of these minutes, with the "C" on his chest, and he's hustling like that? I'd lose it

Tough to be in McPhee's shoes that's for sure.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.