Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

http://extramustard....?xid=nl_siextra

From the SI Vault

howe.jpg?w=843&h=900

Hockey legend Gordie Howe turns 86 today. In this photo, the Hall of Famer positions himself in front of goalie Joe Daley during a Jan. 1971 Red Wings-Sabres game.

I am happy to say that I do not remember that game--not even close! But what a great pic, and thanks for posting it.

I am happy to say that I do not remember that game--not even close! But what a great pic, and thanks for posting it.

You're welcome. I thought it appropriate to pay homage to one of Hockey's greatest ever on his Birthday and what a cool pic from the early years of the Blue and Gold.

You're welcome. I thought it appropriate to pay homage to one of Hockey's greatest ever on his Birthday and what a cool pic from the early years of the Blue and Gold.

An interesting side thing: I think that if that were a home game in Buffalo at the time, there would be a lot more jackets and ties. Even on the kids. Just from what I've seen in photos.

It looks fake to me. I think the depth of field is too deep for a photograph with that short of an exposer time and a lens that long and an interior shot. It looks to me like the audience is photoshopped in. Though there handling of light is well done, all the shadows look right, so I could be wrong about the fake-ness

It looks fake to me. I think the depth of field is too deep for a photograph with that short of an exposer time and a lens that long and an interior shot. It looks to me like the audience is photoshopped in. Though there handling of light is well done, all the shadows look right, so I could be wrong about the fake-ness

You are.

The age of actual film was something, just like the age of records (as opposed to digital downloads or CDs) was. Here's the photog's bio: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Walter_Iooss

http://extramustard....?xid=nl_siextra

From the SI Vault

howe.jpg?w=843&h=900

Hockey legend Gordie Howe turns 86 today. In this photo, the Hall of Famer positions himself in front of goalie Joe Daley during a Jan. 1971 Red Wings-Sabres game.

The youngest of the 2 kids to the left of Gordy in the picture would have been about my age or a tad older than myself. I had the same striped pants but two toned green light and dark that my mom bless her heart made for me. I hated those damn pants but I had to wear em cause ma made em. Ah the seventies.

The youngest of the 2 kids to the left of Gordy in the picture would have been about my age or a tad older than myself. I had the same striped pants but two toned green light and dark that my mom bless her heart made for me. I hated those damn pants but I had to wear em cause ma made em. Ah the seventies.

In hindsight, the 70's has to be the worst fashion era in history. Boy was my dad right when he used to laugh at some of the stuff I wore. My two favorite girls from that time were Poly and Ester as in almost all of my clothes were made from polyester. Beware the hot iron. :lol:

I had those pants too. Mine were red and white striped and were hand me downs. I hated those pants, but that was what we had. We have pictures with me wearing them and my brothers wearing some other striped combination. Hideous now, hideous then, but that was what they sold in Hens and Kelly. Hens and Kelly will be a flash back for some of you on here.

No kidding. Hockey looked so much cooler back then.

Notice anything else? Gordy was a feared hitter in his day. His shoulders don't look like they have much padding at all. Nor his elbows.

Get rid of the offensive armor NHL. Please.

Notice anything else? Gordy was a feared hitter in his day. His shoulders don't look like they have much padding at all. Nor his elbows.

This is a very crucial point. These players all complain about how they need all this padding to protect themselves which is BS because they need it to feel invincible so they can hurt other players. No player needs more padding than what the current CCM lineup affords. And even that might be too much.

http://www.hockeymonkey.com/ccm-hockey-shoulder-pad-upluscl-le-sr.html

The most important protection a player needs is his ribs. I can understand wanting more padding there. But the shoulder caps are out of control.

I also don't know a single hockey player who actually likes wearing huge shoulders, or any at all. But these NHL guys do it because it's an arms race.

The thing that gets me the most about that picture is seeing the goalie down on the ice with no mask. That has to be terrifying.

Oh, and there's the teenager (or maybe 20 something) dead center in the stands wearing a jacket over a turquoise vest. I really want to know what he's looking at.

The thing that gets me the most about that picture is seeing the goalie down on the ice with no mask. That has to be terrifying.

Oh, and there's the teenager (or maybe 20 something) dead center in the stands wearing a jacket over a turquoise vest. I really want to know what he's looking at.

The dude with the mustache in front of him totally looks like my dad.

Joe Daley only played 70-71 season.

Elite Prospects has jersey numbers, _8 looks like Terry Ball

Detroit 10 is certainly Delvecchio

The other Detroit player looks really big, so Mahovlich?

Correct on the 2 Wings. Very impressed that you got Mahavolich, as he was traded 4 days after this picture was taken.

I don't believe that's an 8, I'm pretty sure it's a 3. And it definitely wasn't Terry Ball - he's too small and he shot right. Though if it is who I believe it is, it is almost as obscure a player.

Edited by Taro T

I just came across an interesting stat. On saturday, Ryan O'Reilly took his first penalty of the season. Take a look at this boxscore to see what it was:

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...score/?id=18970

So, he played the puck with a broken stick? Dirty bastard!

(Edit: it occurred to me that he didn't actually need to play the puck; simply continuing to play with a broken stick is a penalty.)

Edited by carpandean

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.