Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Who's to say Skinner won't do that in 5 years? He's locked up for that long.

I'll admit I don't watch much of Kessel, can anyone confirm or deny this?

I know he's not Ovechkin bad, but he isn't Datsyuk either

Kessel has become one of the leagues better, more dominant forces but nobody confuses him with Frank Selke. He is more mature and at least knows where the defensive zone is.

He was, however, just like Skinner when Boston dealt him to the Leafs

Skinner just might turn into a Kessel level player over the next five years. I'm just not willing to take that gamble.

Kessel has become one of the leagues better, more dominant forces but nobody confuses him with Frank Selke. He is more mature and at least knows where the defensive zone is.

He was, however, just like Skinner when Boston dealt him to the Leafs

Skinner just might turn into a Kessel level player over the next five years. I'm just not willing to take that gamble.

Thanks for the insight TW :thumbsup:

I'd take that gamble Deluca, but again I guess we'll agree to disagree. Building off of this though, even if you don't want him, what do you (and everyone else) think it would take to get him?

Thanks for the insight TW :thumbsup:

I'd take that gamble Deluca, but again I guess we'll agree to disagree. Building off of this though, even if you don't want him, what do you (and everyone else) think it would take to get him?

The Canes just invested big in Semin and Jordan Staal so I don't they are in rebuild mode which takes off the table what the Sabres have to offer which is picks and prospects. If the Canes are going to move Skinner, IMO, they are going to do so with the mindset of moving forward. It may take a three team type deal where the move picks and prospects to a third team that sends an NHL roster player to the Canes and Skinner to the Sabres.

The Canes just invested big in Semin and Jordan Staal so I don't they are in rebuild mode which takes off the table what the Sabres have to offer which is picks and prospects. If the Canes are going to move Skinner, IMO, they are going to do so with the mindset of moving forward. It may take a three team type deal where the move picks and prospects to a third team that sends an NHL roster player to the Canes and Skinner to the Sabres.

Silly Canes!

Jeff Skinner, Tyler Ennis, Cody Hodgson. Striking fear into the hearts of the enemy.

Shoot, I forgot that we HAVE to keep everybody on this current team around even after acquiring Skinner.

Seriously, I can play this game all day. Point is, Skinner is a piece. One player. There are 11 other forward spots for the "perfect player" that you require.

Shoot, I forgot that we HAVE to keep everybody on this current team around even after acquiring Skinner.

Seriously, I can play this game all day. Point is, Skinner is a piece. One player. There are 11 other forward spots for the "perfect player" that you require.

Point is, we already have that piece.

IMO, there's not a single player on our roster who's got Skinner's upside.

This I can agree with on the surface. I'm not sure what Armia's upside is to be honest, and who knows what Hodgson would be able to do with a better winger? I would however take Skinner over Hodgson (and I like Hodgson!)

IMO, there's not a single player on our roster who's got Skinner's upside.

Hmmm I actually had to think about this and offensive upside, yes. Skinner would be the most prolific offensive force on the Sabres. His defensive zone play is weak (I've a few exrta canes games this year on TV) but that is why you put him on a line with a guy like Pominville for instance or Girgensons. Skinner in my mind could fit on this team but I am not sure giving up a ton for him is wise, his game does have many holes.

I'm not sure there are many 21 year olds that don't have holes in their game. Skinner might raise his game in the playoffs, who knows. He'll never be a physical presence, which is a definite detriment in playoff hockey, but players have overcome that in the past (see: Briere, Daniel and Leino, Ville). I would take Skinner over any 2 Sabres forwards/F prospects in a heartbeat.

I think the Sabres should go after 30+ goal scorers with speed that have a defensive upside as well. After all, they're a dime a dozen.

Yes. But if they are going to be good defensively then they need to hit at least 200 times a season. And I see that the good offensive players are often a little taller so I really wouldn't want anyone below 6'4'.

Thus it is settled. We shall have 11 6'4', 30+ goal scoring forwards who are good defensively through their physicality. And Hodgson.

Yes. But if they are going to be good defensively then they need to hit at least 200 times a season. And I see that the good offensive players are often a little taller so I really wouldn't want anyone below 6'4'.

Thus it is settled. We shall have 11 6'4', 30+ goal scoring forwards who are good defensively through their physicality. And Hodgson.

It's so simple. Why didn't we think of this before?

I think the Sabres should go after 30+ goal scorers with speed that have a defensive upside as well. After all, they're a dime a dozen.

Yes, they must sign 14 of these.

Reality doesn't apply here, you know that. People just assume we have a roster of Perry, Getlzaf, Crosby, Malkin, Toews, and Kane.

One thing I find interesting going into this off season will be the balance that teams have to play with:

1 - Having compliance buyouts left.

2 - Having to meet the salary floor

3 - The waiting game GMs play on a player they think will be a buyout

Why trade away assets if I think you'll just buy out a player if you can't find the right deal. Why buy out a player if I then need to turn around and sign someone else to meet the floor.

It's intriguing because you look at it in terms of just next year and you might think to yourself, no big deal. But that salary you left on your roster could be a real albatross in 2-3 years (assuming a longer contract) and you find yourself handcuffed because now you have a player you wanted to get rid of years earlier and can't at a salary that kills your cap.

Should be fun!

Edited by LTS

Noooooo then we'll be too soft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.