Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Ed Jovanovski returns to the lineup tonight for the first time since having hip resurfacing surgery. Apparently he's the only athlete in pro sports to ever come back from this. At 37, I think he's on borrowed time.

Edited by JJFIVEOH

With Quick coming back, Martin Jones gets sent back down

http://espn.go.com/l...es-record-start

Anyone think we could swing Enroth and some picks.prospects for packaged deal including Martin Jones? They've made a huge investment in Quick, Luongo-esk really, so I don't think they're looking for Jones to replace him. I think we could throw them a solid back-up in Enroth, maybe a two 2nds, and get back Jones and maybe another prospect.

I'm not sold on Enroth, one of my gripes being I think he's too small and with all the talk of shrinking pads and increasing net sizes, I don't think that helps. If, and at this point that it's more uncertain than ever, we trade Miller or lose him, than we need to fill that gap asap, and snagging Jones, a 23 year old, to grow with a new core would be huge.

Jones stats thus far:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474889#&navid=nhl-search

Edited by WildCard

With Quick coming back, Martin Jones gets sent back down

http://espn.go.com/l...es-record-start

Anyone think we could swing Enroth and some picks.prospects for packaged deal including Martin Jones? They've made a huge investment in Quick, Luongo-esk really, so I don't think they're looking for Jones to replace him. I think we could throw them a solid back-up in Enroth, maybe a two 2nds, and get back Jones and maybe another prospect.

I'm not sold on Enroth, one of my gripes being I think he's too small and with all the talk of shrinking pads and increasing net sizes, I don't think that helps. If, and at this point that it's more uncertain than ever, we trade Miller or lose him, than we need to fill that gap asap, and snagging Jones, a 23 year old, to grow with a new core would be huge.

Jones stats thus far:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474889#&navid=nhl-search

I like what I've seen from Jones for sure. Unfortunately every goalie the Kings have put in net lately has turned out fantastic for them. Quick, Bernier, Jones and Scrivens. Scrivens was always mediocre at best and has looked amazing there.

So I wouldn't give up anything substantial to get him.

Edited by DStebb

I like what I've seen from Jones for sure. Unfortunately every goalie the Kings has put in net lately has turned out fantastic for them. Quick, Bernier, Jones and Scrivens. Scrivens was always mediocre at best and has looked amazing there.

My thoughts exactly. This isn't a team that relies on the goalie; the goalie gets a ton of help from both forwards and d-men. Although as I said before, it would be nic to have a goalie below the age of 23 who looks like they could have a stab at the NHL soon

My thoughts exactly. This isn't a team that relies on the goalie; the goalie gets a ton of help from both forwards and d-men. Although as I said before, it would be nic to have a goalie below the age of 23 who looks like they could have a stab at the NHL soon

Oh what I would give for John Gibson. The lucky Ducks have three (Fasth, Hiller, Andersen) studs that are NHL goalies right now and Gibson who will likely be ready soon. If they really do want Miller like rumors always suggest then I'd give them Miller, one of Ott/Moulson, a prospect and a 2nd rounder for Gibson.

I like what I've seen from Jones for sure. Unfortunately every goalie the Kings have put in net lately has turned out fantastic for them. Quick, Bernier, Jones and Scrivens. Scrivens was always mediocre at best and has looked amazing there.

IMHO even if Jone's did receive substantial help from the Kings play I'd still say he's worth the look. He put up very solid/consistent numbers in the AHL (.924, .919, .919 save percentages the last thre seasons) without them

I don't really get the hype for Gibson. I'll admit I know next to nothing about him, so some info would help before I judge too quickly, but a quick view on his stats doesn't leave me overwhelmed. His OHL numbers are great, but how good is the OHL compared to the AHL where Jones put up similar stats?

Edited by WildCard

CoughUllmarkCough

Enroth started off 7-1.

Valid point, hard to tell how Jones will pan out.

FWIW,I have seen Martin Jones play several times here in Manchester. I do not think he is a franchise-type goalie. He seems more of a product of the system he is in, where the emphasis is on strong defense and limiting quality shots on goal. Not exactly the Sabres style right now, is it?!

Oh what I would give for John Gibson. The lucky Ducks have three (Fasth, Hiller, Andersen) studs that are NHL goalies right now and Gibson who will likely be ready soon. If they really do want Miller like rumors always suggest then I'd give them Miller, one of Ott/Moulson, a prospect and a 2nd rounder for Gibson.

I just watched him play against the B-Sens, and I was not overly impressed. He tends to bite on the first move a guy makes, and he was caught out of position several times.

That was just one sampling. The B-Sens scored 3 goals on their first 15 - 18 shots. but call me unimpressed

CoughUllmarkCough

Valid point, hard to tell how Jones will pan out.

Yeah Ullmark is having a good year. My only concern about him is everything describes him as 'raw', which implies he has the skills but is years off being a starter. I'd also like to get him to NA next season.

I'm really disappointed by Hackett - I would have rather got a third. Especially when Larsson is hardly holding his own in the NHL (i was hoping we would get a serviceable/reliable third line defensive centre with him)

Yeah Ullmark is having a good year. My only concern about him is everything describes him as 'raw', which implies he has the skills but is years off being a starter. I'd also like to get him to NA next season.

I'm really disappointed by Hackett - I would have rather got a third. Especially when Larsson is hardly holding his own in the NHL (i was hoping we would get a serviceable/reliable third line defensive centre with him)

Ullmark is signed to play in Sweden next season. All the 'raw' stuff I saw was from when we drafted him. This is his second season since then and he's doing really well in the top league there. Maybe the rawness is already going away.

Cal Peterson is the other goalie that Kris Baker is excited about. He's doing great in the USHL thus year and starts at Notre Dame (with Connor Hurley) this fall.

Hackett has been a huge disappointment and I want more from Larsson. Larsson did look terrific in the Phoenix game last month though so there's at least some cause for optimism with him.

I'm sorry I just saw this. Toronto gets Bernier for Scrivens, Frattin and a 2nd and you are going to give up all that for Gibson?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.