Around the NHL - 2013-2014

LGR4GM

Interesting tweets regarding Luongo interview.

James Duthie@tsnjamesduthie9h

Luongo will report to Canucks training camp, and says he is extremely motivated, but remains uncertain about his future in Van.

Luongo: "I had moved on from Vancouver and was ready to start fresh somewhere else...like a divorce...except she wanted me back."

Luongo also talks about breaking down after not being dealt at deadline and "blacking out" when he learned VAN had traded Schneider.

Luongo also reveals that in May he had serious talks with the NHLPA about the possibility of voiding his deal and walking away from 40m.

It's interesting at least a tiny bit: formerly great goaltender is nearly battled out by an up-and-comer, and asks for a trade to escape the situation, but it's the up-and-comer that gets traded, and now he must re-find his will to play for the team whom he was ready to abandon. It's not relevant to the Sabres in any way, but I'll keep a very loose eye on how this goes for Vancouver. It's a rare situation, albeit one that doesn't deserve all of the Canadian media attention it gets. Can Luongo battle on, or is he ultimately resigned to his previously presumed fate: doomed?

I guess it's interesting in the "it's a mildy interesting sports story" sense, not an "I give a ######" sense.

Great signing IMO. Wish the Sabres would have done it (with Miller and Vanek still here I've given up on the idea we can tank this season).

It sucks, but when I read your post my first thought was "why would he sign with the Sabres?" I know it sucks, I dream of the day where I can look over the list of available free agents and not cross off 65% of the list because I doubt they would even consider coming to the Sabres.

It's interesting at least a tiny bit: formerly great goaltender is nearly battled out by an up-and-comer, and asks for a trade to escape the situation, but it's the up-and-comer that gets traded, and now he must re-find his will to play for the team whom he was ready to abandon. It's not relevant to the Sabres in any way, but I'll keep a very loose eye on how this goes for Vancouver. It's a rare situation, albeit one that doesn't deserve all of the Canadian media attention it gets. Can Luongo battle on, or is he ultimately resigned to his previously presumed fate: doomed?

I guess it's interesting in the "it's a mildy interesting sports story" sense, not an "I give a ######" sense.

Perhaps I'm just more sick of it than most because he cried just as much when he played down here. It just didn't get national attention like it does now.

I think the most interesting part of it is Luongo lobbying the PA to allow him to walk away from the contract. What if he did it without the PA's blessing? Does he get black-balled by his own union?

I think the most interesting part of it is Luongo lobbying the PA to allow him to walk away from the contract. What if he did it without the PA's blessing? Does he get black-balled by his own union?

Without a doubt. He has to suffer this contract or else it sets precedent for GMs to find ways of strong-arming players into voluntarily voiding their contracts. That would cripple the union.

Luongo is just a big baby.

He has worn out his welcome in Van City and they can't find a sucker to take the contract off their hands. The team hates him and he hates the team. He is being paid a gazillion dollars ... no way he voids his contact, because he may not get another one.

I don't think Luongo is a baby at all. The way Gillis handled the team is appalling. He basically told Luongo he was going for a year and a half and then traded the other guy. If this was Darcy you guys would not be calling the player out but calling for Darcy's head (more so). And to those who think that he would not find another job are idiotic. Why would he not get another job? He is still a really decent player.

I'm slightly concerned about this boards understanding of goaltenders

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.