2013 - 2014 Sabres Prospects

Johnny DangerFace

Most of the guys seem to be producing pretty well.

Catenacci, Hackett have to have the most disappointing numbers.

Baptiste and Ullmark are the biggest positive surprises.

I have to say Ullmark hasn't surprised me that much. I thought he would be good and he is. I think he will be better than Makarov and will probably be our #1 at some point.

As for Baptiste... He turned 18 on August 4... If he can keep up his play in two years he can be in Rochester

Not for nothing, but two of our best runs at the cup were built off of solid AHL squads. Dixon Ward and company won the Calder I believe just prior to the 99 run, and Vanek/Miller/Pommers had a nice year during the lockout. I'd love it if we had enough depth to season some of these guys w/ an AHL powerhouse before moving up to the show.

The thing we're missing is the veteran presence to help with our current path. We really need guys at the end of their career who can set the example but also realize how lucky they are to be playing in the NHL rather than overseas. Lose all you want, but keep a culture in place that makes effort a key component.

@SabresProspects

Connor Hurley assists on GWG, Cal Petersen stops 16/17 as USA wins gold at the World Jr. A Challenge with 4-1 victory over Russia. #Sabres

@kwsnow

#Sabres 2013 draft pick Connor Hurley named to all-tournament team at World Jr A Challenge. Hurley had 10 pts (3+7) in 5 gms.

http://wjra.hockeycanada.ca/roster_players/3805654

@SabresProspects

Connor Hurley assists on GWG, Cal Petersen stops 16/17 as USA wins gold at the World Jr. A Challenge with 4-1 victory over Russia. #Sabres

@kwsnow

#Sabres 2013 draft pick Connor Hurley named to all-tournament team at World Jr A Challenge. Hurley had 10 pts (3+7) in 5 gms.

http://wjra.hockeycanada.ca/roster_players/3805654

I really struggled with the Hurley pick when it was made but he's an interesting player. He doesn't even start college for another year.

I hope he makes me look idiotic for grumbling so much when we took him.

Please explain how Baptiste is over-aged at 19 when he's not yet eligible to play in the AHL?

I just said that's the way I look at him. I'm aware of how old he is. I didn't think my stance was that inflammatory. I just said I thought he reminded me of a lot of other common players who lit up major junior the season after their draft year.

Edit: I'm not getting my hopes up for any sabres prospect. Ever! Again!

Edited by ubkev

I just said that's the way I look at him. I'm aware of how old he is. I didn't think my stance was that inflammatory. I just said I thought he reminded me of a lot of other common players who lit up major junior the season after their draft year.

Curious way to look at him....but okay.

I really struggled with the Hurley pick when it was made but he's an interesting player. He doesn't even start college for another year.

I hope he makes me look idiotic for grumbling so much when we took him.

He's a long-term stash guy. Hopefully the team will be competing by the time he comes around. I'm really excited about him.

He's a long-term stash guy. Hopefully the team will be competing by the time he comes around. I'm really excited about him.

At the rate the sabres develop players we may see him as an emergency call up this year.

/sarcasm

Hockey's Future presents the top grouping of the Fall NHL Team Rankings.

2. Buffalo Sabres

Strengths: The Buffalo Sabres have a stacked prospect group that will help their rebuild at the NHL level over the next few years. The team added 11 newly drafted prospects, including two towering physical defensemen in Rasmus Ristolainen and Nikita Zadorov. Their talent pool is extremely deep at the center, defense, and goaltending positions. The organization has many prospects already playing in the NHL, led by forwards Zemgus Girgensons, Johan Larsson, and Mikhail Grigorenko.

Weakness: Buffalo is not especially deep with natural wingers, particularly on the left side. The organization also lacks an elite, goal-scoring forward. Though many of their top prospects are already playing in the NHL, it will still take some time for them to reach their potential.

Top 5 Prospects: 1. Mikhail Grigorenko, C; 2. Rasmus Ristolainen, D; 3. Brayden McNabb, D; 4. Mark Pysyk, D; 5. Matt Hackett, G.

Key Additions: Nikita Zadorov (2013), Rasmus Ristolainen (2013), JT Compher (2013), Gustav Possler (2013).

Key Losses: Riley Boychuk (trade-NJD).

I caught the Michigan v Nebraska Omaha tilt on Friday. Compher had a goal and assist. You can tell he is feeling his way as a frosh, but he has great instincts in the offensive zone and a good set of hands.

SABRES PROSPECTS REPORT 11/18/13

With action heating up in the college and junior ranks, a pair of former teammates with the U.S. National Team Development Program scored their first-ever collegiate goals over the weekend.

Freshman centerman J.T. Compher (2013, second round) struck for his first two goals as fifth-ranked Michigan earned a non-conference split with Nebraska-Omaha. The Illinois product pounced on a power play rebound in Friday’s 3-2 loss. On Saturday, Compher raced in on a short-handed breakaway and buried a forehand as the Wolverines earned a 4-3 victory over the Mavericks. Compher has gathered eight points (2+6) in 10 contests while manning the right point on the Wolverines’ top power play unit.

West Seneca, NY native Sean Malone (2013, sixth round) notched his first collegiate goal and added an assist Saturday as Harvard downed Princeton 5-3. Malone, who produced a helper and five shots on goal the night before in a 3-2 loss to Quinnipiac, has five points (1+4) through his first eight games with the Crimson. The speedy pivot is making an immediate impact early as top-line player in Cambridge.

Foligno heroics still inspiring Wolves

Nicholas Baptiste and Mathew Campagna don’t have to look far for an example how the SUBWAY Super Series can become a springboard for Canada’s World Junior team.

The Sudbury Wolves’ duo each saw Marcus Foligno, a former Wolves forward, use his size, tenacity and offensive instincts lead to a Team OHL win in 2010 and later a roster spot on Canada’s World Junior team. As the current Wolves look to follow in Foligno’s footsteps with this game also being played in front of their home fans at the Sudbury Community Arena, each aspires at making a similar impact.

“(Foligno) really made his mark at that game for a World Junior invitation and eventually making the team,” says Baptiste, who recalls watching the 2010 game on TV at his home in Ottawa. “That’s something I’m looking forward to hopefully playing well and getting recognized and hopefully getting an invite to camp.”

Baptiste is looking forward to playing with the likes of Connor McDavid and Bo Horvat, while bringing his brand of play to Team OHL.

“Throughout Russia’s whole history they have always been a very skilled team,” Baptiste says. “I think for us to be successful, we have to take the body to them and make them feel uncomfortable away from home and go to the dirty areas to get rewarded. We have a lot of skill on our OHL team, but I think if we can combine our skill with our work ethic, we’re going to be successful.”

Stream here: http://chl.insinc.com/canadavsrussia/

The organizational depth is there given all the draft picks over the past couple of years. Plus we have a ton more picks the next couple of years. It's just painful to have to wait 3-4 more years before most of these guys are ready to contribute at the NHL level.

Agreed. Atleast with us bottoming out this season and hopefully next, we can add some quality to the quantity of picks we have. The future is bright. Albeit will take a few years as you mentioned. Under Patty I have alot more confidence in this rebuild.