The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

The team approach to decision making. To me there are two extremes as to what that could mean in reality:

1.) Terry Pegula is a meddling owner who only keeps DR employed as a puppet GM so that he can glorify his own ego by playing fantasy hockey with a real NHL team.

2.) Terry Pegula is involved in decision making by sitting in on meetings, mainly listening, never making any declarative statements and when he does speak, ends each statement with "but as always the decision is solely yours Darcy."

Some here have chosen to view all information to fit scenario number one. Scenario two is equally ridiculous. As with most things reality likely falls somewhere in the middle, but none of us really know.......

The team approach to decision making. To me there are two extremes as to what that could mean in reality:

1.) Terry Pegula is a meddling owner who only keeps DR employed as a puppet GM so that he can glorify his own ego by playing fantasy hockey with a real NHL team.

2.) Terry Pegula is involved in decision making by sitting in on meetings, mainly listening, never making any declarative statements and when he does speak, ends each statement with "but as always the decision is solely yours Darcy."

Some here have chosen to view all information to fit scenario number one. Scenario two is equally ridiculous. As with most things reality likely falls somewhere in the middle, but none of us really know.......

I think the difference is this:

Tom Gollisano: "I'll do it but ultimately it comes down to good accounting decisions. Bottom line."

Terry Pegula: "I'll do it, is there anything else we can do?, better too fail big. Bottom line."

Knox Bros. "Give me the better minds, and give them latitude, but the leash is short. Bottom line. "

Rigas: "I like having a hockey team. When I was a boy in Pennsylvania......"

I think the difference is this:

Tom Gollisano: "I'll do it but ultimately it comes down to good accounting decisions. Bottom line."

Terry Pegula: "I'll do it, is there anything else we can do?, better too fail big. Bottom line."

Knox Bros. "Give me the better minds, and give them latitude, but the leash is short. Bottom line. "

Rigas: "I like having a hockey team. When I was a boy in Pennsylvania......"

Heck, I dubbed Tom Old Sugar Packets so I'm on thin ice here. But he lost money year to year, right? Before doing well on the sale. He spent near the cap most of the time, right? He did admit at his final presser that trying to break even was the marching order he gave to management. Unfortunately, he made it sound like that's all he was concerned about, and his record says otherwise. I think within that financial reality, he was trying to win a Cup, and damned near did.

I also think this idea that Pegula can't dirty himself with money is also out of whack with reality. It almost looks like a case of good cop-bad cop. Terry says he'll drill a well if he wants to make more money, but then his money men act otherwise. Now we have the Sabres going cheap with young talent, talking about the future financial viability of the franchise for the next owner, not wanting to buy out players. The line between OSP and TPegs isn't as distinct as first thought, IMHO.

The wifey tidbit wouldn't even be brought in at trial. There's too much other damning evidence.

Really? A lot of the other stuff is circumstantial -- a construct of your own analysis (one that others may or may not follow). Jury trials aren't like defending an academic paper -- you want visceral appeal.

That wife-conversation item -- that's gold -- a straight-up admission -- something you put on a demonstrative exhibit and just keep pointing to.

Really? A lot of the other stuff is circumstantial -- a construct of your own analysis (one that others may or may not follow). Jury trials aren't like defending an academic paper -- you want visceral appeal.

That wife-conversation item -- that's gold -- a straight-up admission -- something you put on a demonstrative exhibit and just keep pointing to.

I want an all-female jury then. Thanks, your honor!

Add Vancouver to the list of teams with meddling owners.

Ben Kuzma@benkuzma6h

Kept hearing from NHL sources that ownership was "very involved" in hiring process, wanted tempered kick-ass approach. Hello Torts.

Guys like Kesler and Bieksa will like Torts approach but I wonder about some of the softies. Good way to flush them out I suppose.

Add Snider to the meddling owners list. Information coming out all over the place today that he was the reason the Flyers cleared space to sign Bryzgalov, and now the reason that he's getting bought out. Fun.

I guess this also means that Holmgren is a survivalist weasel, right? I mean he gutted the core of a Cup runner-up because his boss told him to!

Edited by TrueBluePhD

Add Snider to the meddling owners list. Information coming out all over the place today that he was the reason the Flyers cleared space to sign Bryzgalov, and now the reason that he's getting bought out. Fun.

I guess this also means that Holmgren is a survivalist weasel, right? I mean he gutted the core of a Cup runner-up because his boss told him to!

Guilty!!

snapback.pngX. Benedict, on 20 June 2013 - 12:22 PM, said:

I submit that it is the prosecutions burden of proof to show that Pegula is more activist than ANY other owner in the league.

Interesting. But it sounds like you have more of a constitutional challenge to the statute itself -- i.e., that the charge of meddling in and of itself gives rise to a denial of substantive due process. And stuff.

Add Vancouver to the list of teams with meddling owners.
Add Snider to the meddling owners list.

Looks like there's a movement afoot to kneecap the prosecution entirely with a lobbying effort that will result in purging the meddling law from the books. Seems that meddling may not be "criminal" conduct -- it's just that your mileage may vary, depending on who's doing the meddling.

Chz kicked the Darcy webstream discussion over here when PA made the following remark:

He didn't grow up a Sabres fan. Sorry, it just bugs me that so many people are so gullible and refuse to question this owner. All because he got emotional upon seeing Perreault, a clearly scripted moment. But no it's… did you hear about the new owner? He's a realllllly big fan, grew up a fan, never missed a game, I heard! A real die hard. And he wants to win multiple Cups!

Wow... just wow... seriously? Next time you have a thought, just let it go.

Hitler's first move in Germany was forcing people to let their thoughts go.

I didn't necessarily agree with the decision to shut down that thread as duplicative of this one because the accusations that PA was leveling there (that Pegula's a phony) are distinct from the charge at issue here (that he's a meddler).

That said, with the prosecution having all but conceded that the charge of meddling arises from a law that's a dead letter, is there a new charge being contemplated? A charge of Fraudulent Inducement of Fan Loyalty? Bogus Fandom?That would be a much tougher row to hoe.

Edited by That Aud Smell

For clarity, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, it is understood that the charges set forth above shall be added to the class action suit which fans may assert under post 1-187 as permitted by the representations and warranties set forth.

For clarity, without limiting the generality of the foregoing, it is understood that the charges set forth above shall be added to the class action suit which fans may assert under post 1-187 as permitted by the representations and warranties set forth.

well done.

• 8 months later...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/articles/54311-On-the-ice-Sabres-owner-Terry-Pegula-has-done-more-harm-than-good.html

there a number of articles from outside Buffalo hockey writers alluding to this owner meddling. Find the end comments in light of what has transpired ....

Pegula told LaFontaine that he should take comfort in the fact his new employer has a track record of being loyal with people and allowing them to grow into their jobs. “In other words, your first mistake and you’re not out.” It would have been a lot more comforting to LaFontaine if Pegula had said he will now keep his nose out of hockey decisions and will be a little more judicious in throwing his money around.

Overruled. That issue goes to weight of the evidence, not its admissibility.

Seriously, though. I don't think TM's putting up with that flat-management-structure clusterfunk of years past.

You might want to look a littler harder at that picture:

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.