The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

I find this all very disturbing. Terry Pegula is too involved as far as I'm concerned. Sure its his shiny new toy and his moolah but why can't he just stay out of the day to day hockey decisions ? Its bad enough that we have G.M. for life running the show but to top it off the oil and gas man is ' helping ' our hockey genius make decisions. One name comes to mind, Charles Wang. Lord help us.

or... Jerry Jones.

Listening to Terry's interview.

He said other owners around the league might be thinking, who is this new owner, "why's he giving this guy money?"

"It was my decision. It was something I wanted to do."

Marcia Clark couldn't lose this case.

Buffalo, NY - Chaos reigned today in the so-called "Meddling" trial of Terry Pegula, with the defendant admitting publickly this morning that he, indeed, does meddle in the affairs of the Buffalo Sabres.

Reports of the confession were introduced to the court by none other than Judge Smell, who immediately recused himself for aiding the prosecution. Although an objection was raised by the defense, the lead defense and counsel engaged in coquetry before the bench, raising the tenor of today's chaos.

The prosecution then dismissed all charges, claiming any further procedures would be an exercise in utter futility. Prosecutor Fan said after proceedings wrapped up "...my head is spinning...we knew the case was a near slam-dunk, and we were prepared to go to the mat, but now...now between Pegula's confession and the lotion discussion on the floor, I think I'm going to be drinking heavily for the next few days..."

As if the events of the day weren't enough, the final moments of the proceeding were punctuated by Sheriff Deputies tackling a woman who had leapt from the gallery and started assaulting Defense Attorney Emotion. Deputies cuffed the woman and took her away, Emotion declined to comment on the altercation.

Buffalo, NY - Chaos reigned today in the so-called "Meddling" trial of Terry Pegula, with the defendant admitting publickly this morning that he, indeed, does meddle in the affairs of the Buffalo Sabres.

Reports of the confession were introduced to the court by none other than Judge Smell, who immediately recused himself for aiding the prosecution. Although an objection was raised by the defense, the lead defense and counsel engaged in coquetry before the bench, raising the tenor of today's chaos.

The prosecution then dismissed all charges, claiming any further procedures would be an exercise in utter futility. Prosecutor Fan said after proceedings wrapped up "...my head is spinning...we knew the case was a near slam-dunk, and we were prepared to go to the mat, but now...now between Pegula's confession and the lotion discussion on the floor, I think I'm going to be drinking heavily for the next few days..."

As if the events of the day weren't enough, the final moments of the proceeding were punctuated by Sheriff Deputies tackling a woman who had leapt from the gallery and started assaulting Defense Attorney Emotion. Deputies cuffed the woman and took her away, Emotion declined to comment on the altercation.

I am going to miss your daily wrap up summaries... Anyway we can hit a button and somehow make the prosecution reconsider if only to keep the histrionics going...?

Edited by North Buffalo

Nope. I'd tell you why, but I'm not allowed to discuss any deal I might or might not have negotiated with the defendant. Besides, I'm going to be too busy packing for my move to Del Boca Vista and learning to drive stick on a fastback '70's 'Stang.

Nope. I'd tell you why, but I'm not allowed to discuss any deal I might or might not have negotiated with the defendant. Besides, I'm going to be too busy packing for my move to Del Boca Vista and learning to drive stick on a fastback '70's 'Stang.

Too bad you are going into the world of reruns. The Stang is a nice twist..sigh... learning to drive stick eh?, been doing that since my Dad's Volvo in the snow in Buffalo.

Still, don't burn out the clutch... only rubber.

Too bad you are going into the world of reruns. The Stang is a nice twist..sigh... learning to drive stick eh?, been doing that since my Dad's Volvo in the snow in Buffalo.

Still, don't burn out the clutch... only rubber.

Stay tuned. I've heard good things about "The 'Trial' of Doug Allen."

I am going to miss your daily wrap up summaries... Anyway we can hit a button and somehow make the prosecution reconsider if only to keep the histrionics going...?

Thanks! I guess I could start a blog...

As long as you get a gajabillion twitter followers you might get hired by the Huffington post...and then get a chance to return home... So which avatar is this guy. I say we reopen the trail because of new evidence...

Edited by North Buffalo

You left out the part where she bit my arm.

I mean, she bit me!

I find this all very disturbing. Terry Pegula is too involved as far as I'm concerned. Sure its his shiny new toy and his moolah but why can't he just stay out of the day to day hockey decisions ? Its bad enough that we have G.M. for life running the show but to top it off the oil and gas man is ' helping ' our hockey genius make decisions. One name comes to mind, Charles Wang. Lord help us.

These certainly are some scary times for this franchise.

Where?

If I were judge, I'd issue Terry a charge of contempt of court for his dreadfully slow and boring diction. How did this man become a billionaire?!? Can you imagine his first "speed" dating event with Kim? I feel sorry for Darcy for having to "talk" to Terry so much. Until the day I die, I'll never understand how some people strike it rich while the rest of us blokes don't. Well, OK, maybe wasting my time on this board doesn't help my prospects. Later.

I'd like to submit to this... court that Terry Pegula says that he talks to darcy but he did make it sound as though he was talking about player types more than actual guys. The hard work thing is something that I have heard Black, Pegula and Regier all mention. I don't think Terry is making decisions and that he is instead pushing for a direction, he is plotting a course but Regier is the captain. They have had multiple conversations it would seem about hard work. They even said that Myers needs to work harder (which of course he does) but the fact they are saying these things is a good sign. Bottom Line: Pegula is not saying "Darcy I want player X, go." It appears as if he is saying "we need talented hard workers, go" which is completely different.

I'd like to submit to this... court that Terry Pegula says that he talks to darcy but he did make it sound as though he was talking about player types more than actual guys. The hard work thing is something that I have heard Black, Pegula and Regier all mention. I don't think Terry is making decisions and that he is instead pushing for a direction, he is plotting a course but Regier is the captain. They have had multiple conversations it would seem about hard work. They even said that Myers needs to work harder (which of course he does) but the fact they are saying these things is a good sign. Bottom Line: Pegula is not saying "Darcy I want player X, go." It appears as if he is saying "we need talented hard workers, go" which is completely different.

Stop it, you are spooling all our fun and putting a dent into our conspiracy theories... What I want to know is what Pegula knows and when did he know it?

Edited by North Buffalo

I object! Just because my wife and i talk a lot does not mean she ever listens or follows my advice. See Rose v. Rose.

I know that I recused myself, but, if I were presiding, I would overrule this objection. The statement by the party-defendant is an admission of fact -- possibly a statement against interest -- and is therefore admissible as evidence in chief. This Court would have taken judicial notice of the fact that wives generally ignore what husbands say. Such a conclusion does not, however, ipso facto establish that Darcy Regier does not listen to Pegula when he talks. Attorney Emotion's objection is an argument concerning the weight of the evidence, not its admissibility.

Listening to Terry's interview. He said other owners around the league might be thinking, who is this new owner, "why's he giving this guy money?" "It was my decision. It was something I wanted to do." Marcia Clark couldn't lose this case.

That interview really does foreclose any triable question of fact. Any jury finding to dismiss the charges would be overruled by the Court (that's called a JNOV, folks).

Buffalo, NY - Chaos reigned today in the so-called "Meddling" trial of Terry Pegula, with the defendant admitting publickly this morning that he, indeed, does meddle in the affairs of the Buffalo Sabres. Reports of the confession were introduced to the court by none other than Judge Smell, who immediately recused himself for aiding the prosecution. Although an objection was raised by the defense, the lead defense and counsel engaged in coquetry before the bench, raising the tenor of today's chaos. The prosecution then dismissed all charges, claiming any further procedures would be an exercise in utter futility. Prosecutor Fan said after proceedings wrapped up "...my head is spinning...we knew the case was a near slam-dunk, and we were prepared to go to the mat, but now...now between Pegula's confession and the lotion discussion on the floor, I think I'm going to be drinking heavily for the next few days..." As if the events of the day weren't enough, the final moments of the proceeding were punctuated by Sheriff Deputies tackling a woman who had leapt from the gallery and started assaulting Defense Attorney Emotion. Deputies cuffed the woman and took her away, Emotion declined to comment on the altercation.

Outstanding.

Listening to Terry's interview. He said other owners around the league might be thinking, who is this new owner, "why's he giving this guy money?" "It was my decision. It was something I wanted to do."
Terry Pegula says that he talks to darcy but he did make it sound as though he was talking about player types more than actual guys. ... Bottom Line: Pegula is not saying "Darcy I want player X, go." It appears as if he is saying "we need talented hard workers, go" which is completely different.

Relevant here is Pegula's talking (at TBN editorial board meeting perhaps? The audio from that interview is no longer hosted by TBN) about how, after buying the team, he met with all the players and took time to evaluate the cuts of their jibs -- Gaustad specifically was described by Pegula as a leader of men. Regier has repeatedly acknowledged (as has Black) that Personnel Decisions (a defined terms under the statute) get vetted by a collaborative discussion among a group of executives.

483862_10151489980702954_1909989494_n.jpg

At this point, the idea that Pegula is not directly affecting Personnel Decisions is Pollyannaish. Maybe we're left to debate what degree of the offense (offence) he has committed/is committing

I agree that Pegula is in the room and has a core set of "standards" shall we say that he wants players held accountable for. He does however seem to allow Darcy the final decision. I'd like to argue we do not know if Pegula can or does force Darcy to make hockey decisions. It sounds as though Darcy has the right to and does say things like "player X is nice but he doesn't fit our team" OR "Player X is going to cost us this and as GM I think that is to much to pay (in terms of prospects, picks, or players"

I don't want the bumbling oil and gas man to make any of those decisions, chart any of those courses, push for any direction, however you want to phrase it. Terry kept suggesting his experience at East Resources is somehow relevant in the NHL. A "flat" management structure at East should mean nothing to the Buffalo Sabres. Besides, it's the freakin' general manager's decision to create a structure for making hockey decisions.

Further revised proposal on SabresSpace Aud Club Penal Code Section 39.0:

(a) First Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the first degree when he or she makes any Decision without regard to or in direct contravention of the advice of the Owner's General Manager. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class B Felony.

(b) Second Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the second degree when he or she makes any Decision concerning and in the course of making such Decision requests and receives the advice of the Owner's General Manager. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class C Felony.

( c ) Third Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the third degree when he or she causes his or her General Manager to alter, change, or modify a Decision. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class D Felony.

(d) Fourth Degree. An Owner is guilty of meddling in the fourth degree when he or she is Substantially Involved in any Personnel Decision concerning a Player. A violation of this sub-section shall be deemed a Class A Misdemeanor.

(e) Defenses. It shall not be a violation of any provision in this Section for an Owner to request and/or receive reports from his or her General Manager regarding any Proposed Decisions.

(f) Defined Terms. (1) "Owner" means the majority owner of an NHL franchise and shall include his or her team president and any alternate member of the NHL's board of governors appointed by said Owner. (2) "General Manager" means the person with that title who reports to the Owner in question and shall include all people who report directly or indirectly to the General Manager. (3) "Decision" includes any "Personnel Decision" and further includes any final and publicly-communicated decision concerning any of the following: (i) the hiring, firing, and/or retention of the team's head coach, (ii) nationality, age, style of play, or any physical attributes of Players targeted by team for potential Proposed Personnel Decisions, (iii) management of the team's financial resources relative to the NHL salary cap and/or the team's internal operating budget. (4) "Personnel Decision" means a final and publicly-communicated decision to acquire, trade, sign, release, waive, draft, and/or recruit any Player. (5) "Proposed Decision" means a proposal on a Decision that is not yet final and/or not made public by the General Manager or Owner. (6) "Proposed Personnel Decision" means a proposal on a Personnel Decision that is not yet final and/or not made public by the General Manager or Owner. (7) "Player" means any hockey player who is now rostered in the NHL or AHL, has been rostered in the NHL or AHL within the last 12 months, or is eligible to be rostered to an NHL and/or AHL franchise. (8) "Substantially Involved" means any efforts to investigate, evaluate, and/or deliberate on a Proposed Personnel Decision and/or a Personnel Decision.

I agree that Pegula is in the room and has a core set of "standards" shall we say that he wants players held accountable for. He does however seem to allow Darcy the final decision. I'd like to argue we do not know if Pegula can or does force Darcy to make hockey decisions. It sounds as though Darcy has the right to and does say things like "player X is nice but he doesn't fit our team" OR "Player X is going to cost us this and as GM I think that is to much to pay (in terms of prospects, picks, or players"

You're saying he's committed Meddling in the Third or possibly Fourth Degree.

Darcy has said Myers' contract was a problem because it assumes a player that young will behave responsibly after getting it. So, why did Myers end up with said contract? Does Darcy time-travel, arguing with himself, or is there a more logical explanation?

Darcy has said Myers' contract was a problem because it assumes a player that young will behave responsibly after getting it. So, why did Myers end up with said contract? Does Darcy time-travel, arguing with himself, or is there a more logical explanation?

Prima facie showing of a First Degree violation.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.