The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

Oy. Holy non sequitur.

The fact that I'm steering away from your world view and am instead advancing my view of the matter does not make the point a non sequitur.

every owner meddles.

Boom.

I don't care if every owner meddles. It's still wrong. And if every other owner meddles, and ours doesn't, advantage us. I'd love to see Terry's reaction if a non oil and gas man took over his beloved East Resources and started acting like he knew where to frack.

PA(ngloss) again sees the world as it is, and does not seek to have events unfold within the immutable confines as they present themselves, but rather demands that the confines change, that fundamental realities shift. And at whose insistence should this occur? An idealistic message board poster's?

Well ... NHL FO's have started hiring bloggers to serve as #fancystat gurus. So anything's possible, I guess. :huh:

This is great! Thanks for bringing this thread back to life, Aud!!!!!!

It was not without ambivalence that I posted the link to this thread. But, that's where it belongs/-ed.

Well, they are employed by NHL teams.

Therefore, that makes them "hockey men".

They just have not been very good at it, in part, perhaps, due to the owners they have worked for.

No, it's a valid point GC makes. Regier and Snow both played in the NHL (albeit briefly in Regier's case), and both have had long careers in NHL front offices. Pegula, for instance, is *not* a hockey man. He is a fan, he had some involvement with the Penn State hockey program as a benefactor, and he bought the Buffalo Sabres. But his career has not been primarily involved with hockey; Regier and Snow's careers have been pretty much all hockey. No, they're not good hockey men at the executive level, but they must be better than most to even get the job, eh?

I agree with both of you, as you both have great points. I just really think they are some of the lesser talented in the pool if you will.

The fact that I'm steering away from your world view and am instead advancing my view of the matter does not make the point a non sequitur.

What doesn't follow is the idea that if "everyone" in a certain class is engaging in a behavior, then that activity can't be a "crime" or just plain old "wrong."

PA(ngloss) again sees the world as it is, and does not seek to have events unfold within the immutable confines as they present themselves, but rather demands that the confines change, that fundamental realities shift. And at whose insistence should this occur? An idealistic message board poster's?

See, the fundamental reality shift occurred in the runup to Pegula's ownership, and in the glow of Day One. You want a fundamental shift? We were led to believe, and many still believe, that we had an owner who was a diehard fan, who didn't care about making money, who was willing to spend whatever, and whose only reason for buying the team was to win a Cup, and then another one. Boom, indeed.

I hold him to that standard to this day. He has fallen well short of it. The reasons for buying the team appear to be a hound's breakfast — for the Mrs., for the kids, to develop hockey in the U.S., to become a real estate developer in Buffalo, to influence the fracking debate (see the meeting of officials and political types in the arena), so Terry could play fantasy owner, and yes, I'm sure, to try and win a Cup.

Terry was going to be completely different, and I don't think I was being unreasonable in expecting that he would do everything logically possible to make the sole reason for existence of the franchise come true. One of those logical steps would be for a mere fan to get out of the way. It's what I would have done, and I bet it's what you would have done. Fans should be just as unhappy with Terry's ownership style as they would be if I, or Dwight, or shrader was behaving the same way. Terry's billions don't make him any smarter than the rest of us.

Thanks again, Aud, this feels good to get off my chest.

What doesn't follow is the idea that if "everyone" in a certain class is engaging in a behavior, then that activity can't be a "crime" or just plain old "wrong."

Those gubdam lions. Always eating antelope, and such.

a hound's breakfast

This is all a huge pretext so you can drop your favorite Robyisms, innit <edited: h/t to nfreeman>?

I guess I understand the idea of defeated expectations. As for myself, I put no one on a pedestal (including the pus*y (sorry, I love that movie)), and consequently don't get too exercised when public figures variously reveals themselves to be equivocal, mercurial, complicated, over-eager, duplicit, and the like.

Edited by That Aud Smell

The reasons for buying the team appear to be a hound's breakfast — for the Mrs., for the kids, to develop hockey in the U.S., to become a real estate developer in Buffalo, to influence the fracking debate (see the meeting of officials and political types in the arena), so Terry could play fantasy owner, and yes, I'm sure, to try and win a Cup.

Nonsense.

This is all a huge pretext so you can drop your favorite Robyisms, innit <edited: h/t to nfreeman>?

I'd love to take credit, but it's Taro who drops that one from time to time.

If he is mostly hands off except for big decisions, doesn't he have plenty of time to contemplate things like real estate development? Isn't that a gigantic positive for an area that has seen almost zero private money flowing into it in the past 30 years?

I just find it funny that the bulk of the people who complain about him being too hands on in terms of the team are the same ones complaining that he's spending some of his time and money doing things related to not solely winning the Stanley Cup. Just seems circular to me.

And I could say the same about your hysterical, gibberish-filled post, but instead I kept it pithy. Full of pith. Hope you're not too pithed off.

I found his post to actually be quite sedate and well thought out. You might not agree with it, but I'm somewhat coming around to this thinking. I do think that all those factors played in to him buying the team, and he's not just some rich guy buying a new toy. Whether it ends up being a positive for the team or not is still to be determined. I don't think, though, that there is any argument on whether or not it's a positive for the region,... until they start fracking that is.

If he is mostly hands off except for big decisions, doesn't he have plenty of time to contemplate things like real estate development? Isn't that a gigantic positive for an area that has seen almost zero private money flowing into it in the past 30 years?

I just find it funny that the bulk of the people who complain about him being too hands on in terms of the team are the same ones complaining that he's spending some of his time and money doing things related to not solely winning the Stanley Cup. Just seems circular to me.

Maybe it's been made elsewhere and before, but this is a great point -- one that I hadn't had in a while, or perhaps ever.

I always figured 3,000 wells, 3,000,000 gallons of water per well, 9 trillion total gallons total. That's more than enough water to drain all of the Finger Lakes. That takes some mettle. Now it's toxic and he's a billionaire.

So he comes in proclaiming Hockey Heaven, and his disciples claim its Pegulaville, and hang signs from the bridges saying that Terry is proof that God loves Buffalo,.and create slogans like One Nation Under God Pegula, and In God Pegula We Trust,

I just saw this hockey team fall to the lowest depths that they have ever achieved in the history of the franchise, and it was by God's Pegula's design. There is a void in our hearts that winning used to fill, and in the vacuum that is left, God knows what will creep in.

For anyone that thinks that one more year of unprecedented failure guarantees us championships, I must say you have incredible faith, but be careful, "The coming of the lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who uses all power, signs, lying wonders, and every kind of wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved." (Thessalonians 2:7-10)

Charge him with meddling? Let's bring down the Anti-christ for unpaid parking tickets while we're at it.

For anyone that thinks that one more year of unprecedented failure guarantees us championships, I must say you have incredible faith, but be careful, "The coming of the lawless one is apparent in the working of Satan, who uses all power, signs, lying wonders, and every kind of wicked deception for those who are perishing, because they refused to love the truth and so be saved." (Thessalonians 2:7-10)

Hate the tank all you want, and disagree with those of us who support it, but can we please for the 1000th time stop with this nonsense? Most of us feel the tank gives us the best CHANCE to build a perennial cup contender. We can leave the guarantees to death and taxes.

And I could say the same about your hysterical, gibberish-filled post, but instead I kept it pithy. Full of pith. Hope you're not too pithed off.

Annnnnndddd... the personal attack. How many board rules are you trying to break in this thread?

Annnnnndddd... the personal attack. How many board rules are you trying to break in this thread?

Now, now. nfreeman said your post was hysterical and gibberish-filled; not that you yourself were similarly constituted. It's a distinction not without a difference.

By now, I understand where you're coming from on this, PA. And, after having peeled back layer after layer, I see that our differences on the subject are as fundamental and metaphysical as they could possibly be -- tracing back to different world perspectives, opposed philosophies on how we interact with the world around us.

Which is fine. Most of the time. :P

Edited by That Aud Smell

Now, now. nfreeman said your post was hysterical and gibberish-filled; not that you yourself were similarly constituted. It's a distinction not without a difference.

By now, I understand where you're coming from on this, PA. And, after having peeled back layer after layer, I see that our differences on the subject are as fundamental and metaphysical as they could possibly be -- tracing back to different world perspectives, opposed philosophies on how we interact with the world around us.

Which is fine. Most of the time. :P

Beat me to it. I criticized the post -- which, btw, was itself full of (utterly ungrounded) personal attacks -- not the poster.

Beat me to it. I criticized the post -- which, btw, was itself full of (utterly ungrounded) personal attacks -- not the poster.

Huh? Now we can't personally attack the owner? Players? Really?

I make no distinction between an attack on my post and an attack on me. You attack my chil'ren, you attack me.

Huh? Now we can't personally attack the owner? Players? Really?

I make no distinction between an attack on my post and an attack on me. You attack my chil'ren, you attack me.

How about just not attacking anyone? If the only argument is a personal attack, there's not much of an argument at all.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.