The "trial" of Terry Pegula

PASabreFan

Annnnnndddd... the personal attack.
I make no distinction between an attack on my post and an attack on me.

Some time later, I am still trying to sort through this.

Maybe it's my line of work that makes this view seem so absurd (the view, PA -- not you).

Here's a picture that captures my take on how "combatants" here should view their disputes, and elsewhere:

Sam_and_Ralph_clock.png

And it's not even like it's a job to debate here.

Well, Aud, nfreeman said that my views on Terry are personal attacks. Are they? Or am I just attacking the job he has done as owner, the work he has produced, just like my posts?

If you were Ville Leino, would you feel like you've been personally attacked on this board?

Well, Aud, nfreeman said that my views on Terry are personal attacks. Are they? Or am I just attacking the job he has done as owner, the work he has produced, just like my posts?

I won't weigh in on whether you're making a personal attack on Pegula, or whether you've been accused of doing so.

I'm not sure you're actually capable of making a personal attack on Pegula (Terry, of course -- God help you if you speak ill of Kim). You don't know the man. How could you attack him personally in the absence of that? If you were attacking him personally, it would be unfounded.

Also: Terry's a public figure. He owns the team. He does not post here. So it matters little to me whether people are taking a run at him personally. He's not a member of this community.

If you were Ville Leino

Who says I'm not?

If you were Ville Leino, would you feel like you've been personally attacked on this board?

Are you saying that you're allowed to place the same stock in your internet ramblings as Ville places in his performance as a professional hockey player?

ibkHeMerttLCL6.gif

• 2 months later...

If Pegula did that, how can you possibly still support him or think he's a good owner or think he's going to lead us to a Cup?

I've outlined time and again how the Crony Family Tree works. Are you not paying attention? Come on, Eleven. When you first heard that a billionaire Sabres fan was buying the team, did you not allow yourself one moment to fantasize about the calibre of people who would run the team? Terry had the motivation and means to bring the best hockey people in the ###### world here to launch a dynasty. And we end up WITH CLIFF BENSON, TED BLACK, KEN SAWYER, CRAIG PATRICK AND JOE MOTHER######ING BATTISTA?????!!!!! Now I'm angry, with an extra hour on my hands. I'm coming in hot.

What is your problem with Craig Patrick? The guy was the GM for two Stanley Cup winning teams. Seems like exactly the type of guy we've been clamoring for. Ted Black has nothing to do with putting the team together. I still don't know what Joe Battista does. Cliff Benson runs community relations, FFS. Ken Sawyer, see Craig Patrick. Another hockey mind.

More importantly, with the exception of Black, how are any of these people "cronies" of Terry Pegula? You're telling me that he and Patrick go way back? Were they drilling wells together when Patrick wasn't busy winning gold medals and Stanley Cups?

You're not just coming in hot, you're coming in recklessly. You're not making sense.

Edited by Eleven

NO, it shouldn't. We don't need to hijack every damned thread.

You must be a fan of the "free speech kennels" they set up in cities when major political events are happening. I see no reason that discussion of Terry has to be limited to this thread. The thread wasn't hijacked. It's a natural flow of conversation after a dispiriting loss.

You must be a fan of the "free speech kennels" they set up in cities when major political events are happening. I see no reason that discussion of Terry has to be limited to this thread. The thread wasn't hijacked. It's a natural flow of conversation after a dispiriting loss.

Don't be an ass. I don't mind natural flow of conversation. I just don't want every GDT to devolve the way they did with "fire Lindy." I'm mindful of what SDS said at the start of the year and you have this wonderful topic all set up for us.

Now, to my point above on the "cronies"? I'm patiently waiting.

Don't be an ass. I don't mind natural flow of conversation. I just don't want every GDT to devolve the way they did with "fire Lindy." I'm mindful of what SDS said at the start of the year and you have this wonderful topic all set up for us.

Now, to my point above on the "cronies"? I'm patiently waiting.

No, I think the concern the moderators showed was that there were too few threads and discussions were being too focused in one place.

As for the trial, it was aborted when it was revealed that Judge Smell was texting photos of his gavel to Kim Pegula. Yeah, there it is. I was holding on to that tidbit.

So... /trialthread.

• 1 year later...

eleven rightly pointed out that shrader shouldn't have put the blurb about the OHL owner meddling with his coaches in the thread about why Terry bought the Sabres. It belongs here, in a thread about owner meddling. So have at it.

It's also been almost a year, so it's probably time to revisit the issue of Terry's meddling. Has he gotten better? Stopped entirely?

Edited by pASabreFan

I'm anxiously waiting to see what comes of the Matt Stafford sweepstakes.

Think Terry might tell Doug to go get the guy? 

It's a potential litmus test, in my eyes.

If we stay quiet on that front, it will arguably be an indicator that football people are truly in charge.

Edited by That Aud Smell

eleven rightly pointed out that shrader shouldn't have put the blurb about the OHL owner meddling with his coaches in the thread about why Terry bought the Sabres. It belongs here, in a thread about owner meddling. So have at it.

It's also been almost a year, so it's probably time to revisit the issue of Terry's meddling. Has he gotten better? Stopped entirely?

I wasn't really around for this thread and started reading some of the last 20-30 posts. 

I just found it funny how defensive the mods are about Pegula. Dropping ad hominems and then saying they weren't really ad hominems. Moving the goal posts because their "authority" gives them the power to do that. 

I joined this forum less than a year ago because I found the level of discussion here higher than at HFboards and lately I've been seeing how cliiquey, censored, and self-moderated it is. At times it makes me question if the interests of some of the posters on this board expand beyond pure fandom. I just can't respect a forum where a moderator who has the ability to ban users acts the way nfreeman did at the top of this page. How can you rest easy knowing you are getting a fair shake?

I really thought this was a place where we can talk about a topic like Pegula potentially being just like nearly every other billionaire, and not just a perfect Godly savior. A topic of discussion that is almost brain-dead obvious to those who can take even a 1 centimeter step back. But guess not, the mods won't allow it. This is not the "thinking mans" forum I thought it was. It's a "you can think but only if it's in the interest of the Sabres organization" forum. 

Wasn't there a saying "To learn who rules over you, find out who you are not allowed to criticize". 

I joined this forum less than a year ago because I found the level of discussion here higher than at HFboards and lately I've been seeing how cliiquey, censored, and self-moderated it is. 

Wasn't there a saying "To learn who rules over you, find out who you are not allowed to criticize". 

440.gif

http://forums.sabrespace.com/topic/23682-revisiting-one-burning-question-about-terry-—-why-did-he-buy-the-sabres/?p=739202

I wasn't really around for this thread and started reading some of the last 20-30 posts. 

I just found it funny how defensive the mods are about Pegula. Dropping ad hominems and then saying they weren't really ad hominems. Moving the goal posts because their "authority" gives them the power to do that. 

I joined this forum less than a year ago because I found the level of discussion here higher than at HFboards and lately I've been seeing how cliiquey, censored, and self-moderated it is. At times it makes me question if the interests of some of the posters on this board expand beyond pure fandom. I just can't respect a forum where a moderator who has the ability to ban users acts the way nfreeman did at the top of this page. How can you rest easy knowing you are getting a fair shake?

I really thought this was a place where we can talk about a topic like Pegula potentially being just like nearly every other billionaire, and not just a perfect Godly savior. A topic of discussion that is almost brain-dead obvious to those who can take even a 1 centimeter step back. But guess not, the mods won't allow it. This is not the "thinking mans" forum I thought it was. It's a "you can think but only if it's in the interest of the Sabres organization" forum. 

What?

When you read the prior page of posts, did you see any warnings not to criticize TP?  Any threats of being banned?  Any indication of a conflict of interest or other sinister motives?  Anything a-tall that would substantiate these hysterical accusations? 

Do you perchance attend Yale, and did you get a bit upset at the rally regarding Halloween costumes?

Do you not think that I am entitled to my opinion about TP and his motives, just as everyone else here is? 

What exactly has been "censored?"

If the board is too "self-moderated," why are you complaining about the moderators?

WTH are you talking about? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.