Beyond Blue and Gold: Sabres.com series

Two or less

The young boy seems to be doing very well and is in recovery.

I think one good thing vastly outweighs a ton of bad stuff, in most cases anyway.

Sweet. So you can all get off my case and/or eat my butt (your choice) since I donated $17 to Andy Dalton's charity of sick/poor/whatever people.

Edited by Alkoholist

I still haven't watched it. Good for Jack on giving some dying kid his wish though. I hope he turns the corner and recovers.

Doing something good doesn't excuse the bad things though.

Here's my issue.  No one said this or thinks this. It was one piece of sunshine and happiness in an otherwise dreary shittastic season. Instead of letting some people feel happy for a moment, you had to waltz in and just drop your pants and piss all over that.  Why? Because you were miserable and you want all of us to be miserable with you. To bad. I actually might watch it again because it is one of the nicest thing I have seen in a long time.

The young boy seems to be doing very well and is in recovery.

I think one good thing vastly outweighs a ton of bad stuff, in most cases anyway.

I hope so. I can't imagine having 2 open heart surgeries, let alone before age 6

Here's my issue.  No one said this or thinks this. It was one piece of sunshine and happiness in an otherwise dreary shittastic season. Instead of letting some people feel happy for a moment, you had to waltz in and just drop your pants and piss all over that.  Why? Because you were miserable and you want all of us to be miserable with you. To bad. I actually might watch it again because it is one of the nicest thing I have seen in a long time.

I hope so. I can't imagine having 2 open heart surgeries, let alone before age 6

I made a joke based on the ball washing the video was getting (even though I hadn't seen it) and you threw a hissy fit and tried to tell me where and what I can post with your micro-aggression nonsense.

I'm not miserable at all. I don't let how ###### the Bills or Sabres are affect my outlook on life. If you happen to let it, that's on you.

Edited by Alkoholist

I made a joke based on the ball washing the video was getting (even though I hadn't seen it) and you threw a hissy fit and tried to tell me where and what I can post with your micro-aggression nonsense.

I'm not miserable at all. I don't let how ###### the Bills or Sabres are affect my outlook on life. If you happen to let it, that's on you.

Actually never mind I solved my own problem. Cheers

Edited by SkuggaLiger

I wasn't being micro aggressive. Just straight aggressive. Take your negativity to one of the other ###### negative threads that literally is riddled with negativity. 

I meant you took my joke as micro aggressive, because apparently you want this team sponsored PR thread to be some safe space where absolutely no negativity is allowed.

Not going to happen and because you're being such a dick about it, I'll continue to post here and just hope that it irritates you.

I meant you took my joke as micro aggressive, because apparently you want this team sponsored PR thread to be some safe space where absolutely no negativity is allowed.

Not going to happen and because you're being such a dick about it, I'll continue to post here and just hope that it irritates you.

I wouldn't worry about it irritating me.  Took me a few minutes but I found it. 

giphy.gif

Edited by SkuggaLiger

So what's the rule now? Only positive posting because this is the PR thread? Or is it just because the latest video is about a Make a Wish kid?

If the next video is about Jake McCabe going ice fishing with his uncle or something random like that is the negativity allowed back in? Or are you going to rule it on a case by case basis?

So I just watched the video again and seeing that kid beat jack at xbox was pretty cool. I also like how personable jack was with the little guy. I think we forget what these guys are like off the ice and sometimes it is nice to see.

Jack threw that game and it was disgusting. No icing? No offsides? What.the.fcuk!? I'd have beaten that kids ass while talking severe amounts of smack the entire time. If his tiny little repaired heart could survive that, then he's gonna he just fine in this life.

For reference: http://www.cc.com/video-clips/b9vgt4/chappelle-s-show-make-a-wish---uncensored

Edited by ubkev

Jack threw that game and it was disgusting. No icing? No offsides? What.the.fcuk!? I'd have beaten that kids ass while talking severe amounts of smack the entire time. If his tiny little repaired heart could survive that, then he's gonna he just fine in this life.

I heard he hates to lose, but I guess playing for the Sabres has gotten him used to it.

Sometimes the narrative goes too far.  This is one of those times.

Why can't some people just sit back and enjoy a feel good story about a very sick little boy who had his wish come true thanks to the Make A Wish Foundation, Jack Eichel and the Buffalo Sabres.

Sure it's PR, but it is good PR.

The only narrative I have is that professional sports teams exploit sick kids for PR purposes. It's still a feel good story for that kid and his family if the cameras aren't there. (If his Wish was to be filmed with Jack and shown on TV, I will re-think my position.) I don't like it, I never have and I'm sure I'm in the vast minority.

The only argument that has ever swayed me a little is that Roswell and the like get publicity from such things and the public might donate money. If I missed the blurb about how to donate to Make A Wish, I apologize.

The only narrative I have is that professional sports teams exploit sick kids for PR purposes. It's still a feel good story for that kid and his family if the cameras aren't there. (If his Wish was to be filmed with Jack and shown on TV, I will re-think my position.) I don't like it, I never have and I'm sure I'm in the vast minority.

The only argument that has ever swayed me a little is that Roswell and the like get publicity from such things and the public might donate money. If I missed the blurb about how to donate to Make A Wish, I apologize.

I feel the same way, whether it's charities or pumping the wheels of the Armed Forces. I'm skeptical of anyone flouting their patriotism or touting their good deeds. I imagine it's a balance between raising awareness and pushing an agenda. The relatively small amount of money that goes to Breast Cancer research/treatment/etc. for each of those pink jersey's the NFL sells is a perfect example.

I feel the same way, whether it's charities or pumping the wheels of the Armed Forces. I'm skeptical of anyone flouting their patriotism or touting their good deeds. I imagine it's a balance between raising awareness and pushing an agenda. The relatively small amount of money that goes to Breast Cancer research/treatment/etc. for each of those pink jersey's the NFL sells is a perfect example.

Millions of people volunteer and do good deeds in this country and would be horrified at the thought of publicizing it. Having said that, I'm pretty certain most if not all of the Sabres do things quietly and without fanfare. It's the stuff the Sabres publicize that bugs me. The Sabres get a call from Make a Wish saying a kid wants to meet Jack. How does it go beyond arranging such a meeting to being a BBG episode?

Millions of people volunteer and do good deeds in this country and would be horrified at the thought of publicizing it. Having said that, I'm pretty certain most if not all of the Sabres do things quietly and without fanfare. It's the stuff the Sabres publicize that bugs me. The Sabres get a call from Make a Wish saying a kid wants to meet Jack. How does it go beyond arranging such a meeting to being a BBG episode?

My guess is

russ-brandon.jpg

Days gone by, I dug my heels in with you on this.

While I'm not totally there with you now, I've come a lot closer to your view of the matter.

Even with regard to Roswell, I can recall your talking to the effect of, "hey, Roswell has a super noble mission and all, but let's not ignore that they have, like, a 'profit' motive of their own." And in response, I was all *MARY HAD A LITTLE LAMB, LITTLE LAMB, LITTLE LAMB!* 

Or something like that.

Having had two dear loved ones pass through that wonderful facility since first our debate was had, I have much more insight on the subject than I did when we first discussed it. It's a tangled ball of yarn.

Edited by That Aud Smell

I appreciate cancer fighting facilities, but knowing some of the ins and outs of RPCI, I will gladly refer patients to NYC, Philly or Minnesota for anything more than the simple stuff, I am disgusted by some of the politics of that place, and I won't get into it much here.

As for the make a wish video, that was wonderful and heartwarming, and I enjoyed it, publicity be damned

I still haven't watched it. Good for Jack on giving some dying kid his wish though. I hope he turns the corner and recovers.

Doing something good doesn't excuse the bad things though. If that's the case every liberal needs to shut up about Trump because he's done some charity in his time. Every conservative needs to shut up about Hillary because she's done some charity as well.

I really don't think the charitable work the team does is even on the same playing field as the team it ices. Put differently, why even treat them as inexorably linked? Having Jack do something awesome for the kid doesn't make the hockey team good....but the inverse is also true in that the team being bad doesn't take away the joy he brought that kid. Why engage in mental gymnastics to try to combine them into one final product?

I really don't think the charitable work the team does is even on the same playing field as the team it ices. Put differently, why even treat them as inexorably linked? Having Jack do something awesome for the kid doesn't make the hockey team good....but the inverse is also true in that the team being bad doesn't take away the joy he brought that kid. Why engage in mental gymnastics to try to combine them into one final product?

They don't have to be all encompassing. I was just being combative because I don't like being told not to post in certain threads, especially by self righteous people who aren't even moderators. The joke still stands though. The Sabres seemed to have banked some serious good will over the video so between that, a 2 game winning streak, and a possible heroic run to 9th good 'ol Russ Brandon has probably earned himself an extra mulligan or two for his next screw up, whether it's another raise in ticket prices, giving away a home game, or whatever nonsense he comes up with next. Maybe he'll schedule some practices in Niagara Falls in order to further regionalize the fan base or something.

• 5 months later...

Beyond Blue n Gold for Dev Camp. This is honestly the best thing the Sabres currently do. I enjoyed this video and they put together something enjoyable.

https://www.nhl.com/sabres/video/bbg-development-camp/t-277437090/c-60793203?utm_source=t.co&utm_medium=referral 

“These are the guys that are going to change this organization around.” Watch our full behind-the-scenes at #SabresDevCamp: http://bufsabres.co/campbbg  @NewEraCap

Edited by LGR4GM

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a VERY SPECIFIC REASON to revive this one.