The other sports thread

Eleven

Also this weather delay may be a huge bonus for the Jays if it cools down Davis. Still have Osuna who can probably get 6 outs

Also - Fox needs to get Pete Rose off of tv. He's like the drunk uncle you avoid at parties. This rain delay coverage has been brutal.

Pete Rose has been slaying me! Everything he says is ridiculous and I think that's hilarious!

Are we to the part of the season where good teams are playing each other or is it still Ohio State vs. Bob Norris Basket Construction Community College?

It's very rare for good teams to play each other at all anymore until the postseason.

It's very rare for good teams to play each other at all anymore until the postseason.

Kind of depends on the conference, eh?

And actually, who are the top teams going to play?  They're already at the top and have nothing to prove.  They have a lot of suitors that want to play them for the non-conference games, teams that want to see what a real football team looks like. 

I don't follow it anymore since my sons graduated, but there was a similar thing in HS football, where a team that has aspirations of developing their program will convince the reigning state champs to play them in a non-division game.  Get your butt handed to you enough times and eventually you will figure out how to play against that kind of team. 

In the case of the school where my sons went, that was the story of the team from the opening of the high school; they were in a strong division and played three powerhouses every year.  Then one year they managed to beat two of the three and won a state championship.  They moved up to a higher level and never repeated the feat, but playing competition that was clearly better helped the team develop.)

This coming week is one of the rare weeks in college football where there aren't really any good matchups. There's one game of ranked teams playing each other (Notre Dame vs Temple). But I disagree with eleven about the good teams rarely playing each other.

This coming week is one of the rare weeks in college football where there aren't really any good matchups. There's one game of ranked teams playing each other (Notre Dame vs Temple). But I disagree with eleven about the good teams rarely playing each other.

Pencil in November 27 when TCU and Baylor play.  That will all likelihood be a play-in game to see which of those teams goes to the playoff.

Some stupid athletics directors make schedules that result in playing 5 top 20 teams plus USC and Texas and refuse to schedule games against FCS teams. 

And that's why I like watching Notre Dame.  Every season is in "hard mode."

The best game last weekend was Northwestern against Nebraska.

Huh? USC - Utah. UCLA - CAL. Tennessee - Alabama. Duke - Virgina Tech. Texas A&M - Ole Miss.

And most importantly Georgia Tech - Florida St.

All featured ranked teams. 3 Utah, 9 Florida State, 20 Cal, 15 A&M all lost. Florida State - Georgia Tech featured one of the craziest/most unlikely final plays ever.

And that's why I like watching Notre Dame.  Every season is in "hard mode."

My dad got 2 National Titles, Rudy, and Joe Montana while he was a student. 

I got 4 Head coaches and what was the worst combined record of any graduating class since the 50s.

I'd like to seem them flip it to "easy mode" every 3-4 years or so. Just to give my heart a rest.

What did Torii Hunter do?

Feel free to follow the links within the article, too.

http://deadspin.com/anti-gay-bigot-torii-hunter-calls-reporter-prick-four-1666585947

He also tweeted out a defense of Floyd Mayweather saying that what he does in the ring is Torii's business but what he does out of it is nobody's business.

So, by Torii Hunter's standards, a man beating a woman is nobody's business but a man doing the horizontal mamba with another man is everybody's business.

I got 4 Head coaches and what was the worst combined record of any graduating class since the 50s.

I'd like to seem them flip it to "easy mode" every 3-4 years or so. Just to give my heart a rest.

Missing '99, no data on when your boys get it back again. Kind of like when Moe-ray-all broke that 7 year seal in '00. They haven't particularily sniffed it since.

Personally, my take is, a Catholic school hiring the minion of Satan (Weis) kept stuff from getting back on track.

http://deadspin.com/anti-gay-bigot-torii-hunter-calls-reporter-prick-four-1666585947

He also tweeted out a defense of Floyd Mayweather saying that what he does in the ring is Torii's business but what he does out of it is nobody's business.

So, by Torii Hunter's standards, a man beating a woman is nobody's business but a man doing the horizontal mamba with another man is everybody's business.

Sounds like the Republicans have a new man

I forgot about that until just now.

Hell of a Centerfielder.

Stupid, stupid comment on Floyd.

Crap.  All I got at RPI was Adam Oates, Darren Puppa and after a phenomenal and dominating regular season my senior year, a first round playoff exit (they won the NCAA Div I title the year after I graduated).

Edited by Robins Egg

All I got at Bonas was a magical run through the A-10 championship and a trip to the tournament where we SHOULD'VE shocked the world but got screwed. What a ride that was. Best few weeks of my life.

Thanks to a few rich donors a bus ride to Southern Kentucky, a nice hotel for the night, a ticket to two NCAA Tournament games (the Texas-Cincy game and the Bonas-Florida State game) and a bus ride back all cost $25. I spent probably double that for alcohol that week.

Edited by Hoss

Missing '99, no data on when your boys get it back again. Kind of like when Moe-ray-all broke that 7 year seal in '00. They haven't particularily sniffed it since.

Personally, my take is, a Catholic school hiring the minion of Satan (Weis) kept stuff from getting back on track.

I still have the image of the game winning field goal going through the uprights vs BC in '93 burned into my head. I didn't even really buy in in '12. 

Completely agree on Weis, Alum or not, we were playing with dark forces we did not fully understand.

We may have to wait for the next prophet to arrive and vanquish the arch-demon Belichick.