The other sports thread

Eleven

If you had told me in July that the Mets were going to the playoffs, never mind the World Series, I'd have laughed until I cried.  And then I'd have cried for quite some time after that because the Mets. 

Amazing season, fine margins dictated who won the series.  I'm optimistic as to next year.  The rotation should be killer, a dump truck full of money will hopefully be driven to Cespedes' house to convince him to stay, Murphy will be playing absolutely anywhere else.  Should be fun to see what happens. 

Oh, crap.  I'm optimistic about the Mets.  Having horrific flashbacks to 1992 which was the last time that happened...

If you had told me in July that the Mets were going to the playoffs, never mind the World Series, I'd have laughed until I cried.  And then I'd have cried for quite some time after that because the Mets. 

Amazing season, fine margins dictated who won the series.  I'm optimistic as to next year.  The rotation should be killer, a dump truck full of money will hopefully be driven to Cespedes' house to convince him to stay, Murphy will be playing absolutely anywhere else.  Should be fun to see what happens. 

Oh, crap.  I'm optimistic about the Mets.  Having horrific flashbacks to 1992 which was the last time that happened...

Yeah, the Mets historically give us reason to be optimistic until they screw everything up somehow.  :bag:

I'm optimistic about the starting pitching talent, but will temper my overall optimism until the Wilpons (also known as the Coupons to many Mets fans) actually show the ability/desire to spend money to upgrade the hitting and bullpen as needed.

It was a great season, but it's never a great feeling to lose the World Series in the manner that they did.

So shrader, how are things up your way near Duke this morning?  Duke got screwed in ways beyond which even a Buffalo sports fan can relate to this weekend.  I wonder if the NFL would ever suspend an entire crew for screwing up so badly?  <_<

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-suspends-officials-after-duke-miami-final-play-flub/15051420/

Oh and I also have a bad feeling that we need to enjoy this pitching while it lasts.  What happens in a few years when (on their current trajectory) Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Matz, and Wheeler (if he comes back strong) are all up for salaries averaging $20+ million dollars per year each?  Not many teams could handle that.  Maybe just the Yankees and Dodgers currently.

So shrader, how are things up your way near Duke this morning?  Duke got screwed in ways beyond which even a Buffalo sports fan can relate to this weekend.  I wonder if the NFL would ever suspend an entire crew for screwing up so badly?  <_<

http://www.wralsportsfan.com/acc-suspends-officials-after-duke-miami-final-play-flub/15051420/

They have football here?  I'm far enough away that if people do care, I'm not seeing any of it.

But anyway, I saw it for the first time this morning when I read Hoss's post upthread.  When I first heard about it I assumed the game was in Miami and it was one of those cases where they didn't want to piss off the home fans.  Now that I see it was here, wow, I can't even fathom how much ineptitude goes into screwing that one up.

I saw the replay of the play and couldn't believe it.  I also can't believe there were 4(!) crucial officiating errors on one play and they all went Miami's way.  That was a Bills-level screwing that Duke got.

Oh and I also have a bad feeling that we need to enjoy this pitching while it lasts.  What happens in a few years when (on their current trajectory) Harvey, DeGrom, Syndergaard, Matz, and Wheeler (if he comes back strong) are all up for salaries averaging $20+ million dollars per year each?  Not many teams could handle that.  Maybe just the Yankees and Dodgers currently.

I'd be surprised if someone (rhyming with "Marvey") isn't moved here shortly.  Going forward with the other four, barring any further injuries and the return that the high priest of Qulacomm could bring if handled correctly, added to the money that isn't paid to Murphy and perhaps Cespedes there's room to bring in a bat or two.  Let Conforto stay in left, squeeze another year out of Granderson, Lagares in center. 

Infield: Duda, Insert 2nd Baseman Here, Flores and Wright.  D'Arnaud behind the plate.  Still not too shabby.  There's still room and money for incoming improvement.  So I suppose we shall see. 

Go Gators !! Now, partisanship aside .... are / were you a Bulldog? I'm a Gator Dad, a couple of times over. I attended the FL GA game in, oh, 2004 ish. Ga over Fl that day.

Well done on the win. I officially became a Dawg this semester but was an unofficial one for a few years prior.

I'd be surprised if someone (rhyming with "Marvey") isn't moved here shortly.  Going forward with the other four, barring any further injuries and the return that the high priest of Qulacomm could bring if handled correctly, added to the money that isn't paid to Murphy and perhaps Cespedes there's room to bring in a bat or two.  Let Conforto stay in left, squeeze another year out of Granderson, Lagares in center. 

Infield: Duda, Insert 2nd Baseman Here, Flores and Wright.  D'Arnaud behind the plate.  Still not too shabby.  There's still room and money for incoming improvement.  So I suppose we shall see. 

I'm not sure they move Harvey yet, but they will likely need to move someone (or two) within the next couple years.  They're all still extremely affordable for a couple more years at least.

I agree with what their lineup may look like next year, except I think we may see Flores move to 2nd and the Mets look for a SS upgrade (both offensive and defensive preferably).  The problem with that is that the lineup looks alot like what they rolled with for the first half of this year and it was miserable.  Conforto should continue to improve.  Can Wright and d'Arnaud stay healthy?  Even if they are healthy, I'm not sure that lineup is good enough.  They need to get at least one big bat into that lineup somewhere.  Not sure if it's Cespedes (Where would he play anyway?  Not CF ideally).  It'd likely have to be SS, 2B, or 1B (Duda is too inconsistent).  They could also upgrade CF, but need someone better defensively than Cespedes imo.

Should be a very interesting off season for the Mets.  Plenty of big trade and FA signing possibilities.  With the starting pitching and a few good moves they could be very good next year.  They could also be disappointing next year if they make no moves or the wrong moves.

Dusty Baker getting the Nationals job, I really like that move for them

He will be good for getting their clubhouse in order, which they really need after last year.  From my friends who are Reds fans: He's maddeningly conservative and an old school "by the book" manager.  Don't expect any outside the box thinking.

There's also always the danger that he causes Strasburg's (or any other young pitcher they have) arm to fall off.

Ok, after looking over the list of MLB free agents, my ideal Mets off season:

1. Sign Justin Upton

2. Sign Ian Desmond

3. Re-sign/sign 2 or 3 quality bullpen guys.

4. Profit

Very simple. I can dream, right?

I thought Upton could play CF, but it doesn't look like that's the case.  So maybe Rasmus instead or they likely stick with Lagares, since they are paying him a nice chunk of money.

I'm not seeing many easy upgrades for the Mets through free agency.  Maybe a trade or two would make more sense.  They have to upgrade the offense somehow after Murphy and Cespedes leave.

First college football playoff standings are out.

7-1 Notre Dame is ranked 5th, ahead of 8 undefeated teams.

The schedule they play will help them if they keep winning.  Not a Notre Dame fan, but I marvel at their schedule year in and year out.