The other sports thread

Eleven

Both of these are true, IMO. The Mets have opened opportunities for the Royals, and the Royals have taken advantage of them.

IMO the Royals style of play has forced those errors. They don't strike out, are very good/aggressive on the bases, and they don't make errors (well besides Hosmer, which is a huge anomaly). That, and taking away Murphy and Cespedes have them up 3-1

Edited by WildCard

I'm not taking anything away from the Royals.  They've taken advantage of the many openings provided by the Mets.

If not for those openings, the Mets are champions right now.  Instead, it certainly feels like a loss tonight is inevitable.  Even if the Mets somehow win, they've got to win 2 games in KC, which is highly improbable.

IMO the Royals style of play has forced those errors. They don't strike out, are very good/aggressive on the bases, and they don't make errors (well besides Hosmer, which is a huge anomaly). That, and taking away Murphy and Cespedes have them up 3-1

Managerial decisions were not forced by the Royals style of play, and the Mets have made some key unforced errors.  The Royals put the pressure on, but if the Mets make the easy plays and close out games, they have won the series by now.

I'm not going to lie, I wouldn't even know where to begin to describe a baseball team's "style of play" beyond "relying on pitching/hitting." Feel free to mock me.

Well, the series would be tied maybe, or at 3-2 Mets, but they would not have won it. Gordon beat Familia in Game 1, the Mets didn't screw it up

I call that a screw up by Familia.  That blown save also laid the foundation for his other 2 blown saves imo.  He had been lights out all postseason until that home run.  The Mets win that game and this is a different series obviously but also psychologically for the Mets.

I'm on board with this. It's always interesting to see fans of teams losing in the postseason bend over backwards to blame their own team instead of saying the other team was just better or won on their own merit. I imagine I'd be the same way. Heck, I do it when teams I hate are winning.

The Royals have won this series so far... The Mets haven't lost it.

I call that a screw up by Familia. That blown save also laid the foundation for his other 2 blown saves imo. He had been lights out all postseason until that home run. The Mets win that game and this is a different series obviously but also psychologically for the Mets.

Well if Familia screwed up Game 1 then Collins didn't screw up in leaving Harvey in tonight

Either way Hoss is right, I'm the same way when it comes to my teams.

I'm on board with this. It's always interesting to see fans of teams losing in the postseason bend over backwards to blame their own team instead of saying the other team was just better or won on their own merit. I imagine I'd be the same way. Heck, I do it when teams I hate are winning.

The Royals have won this series so far... The Mets haven't lost it.

Well we can agree to disagree on this.  There is quite a large list of decisions/errors the Mets have made to put them in the position they're in.

Yes the Royals have been scrappy and opportunistic, but this is all on the Mets imo.

Well if Familia screwed up Game 1 then Collins didn't screw up in leaving Harvey in tonight

Either way Hoss is right, I'm the same way when it comes to my teams.

Collins has made quite a few mistakes.  Started with the 1st Royals batter of the series.  Cespedes should have never been playing CF in Kauffmann. 

And yes, I wanted Familia in to start the 9th tonight for several reasons. 

Familia screwed up Game 1, with Collins' help.  Collins screwed up tonight.  I don't see the logic in your first sentence above.

Seriously, who the hell delay steals anymore? That's the 2nd time I've seen them do that

This is what the Royals have done well.  Steals and little squibbers all over the place.  They do anything to get on base and get in scoring position until something happens.  They play small ball better than anyone I've seen since the Cardinals in the mid to late 80's.

Harvey was dominating, and given that you think Familia screwed up and has been unreliable, it makes sense that Collins avoided going to him

I disagree.  The Mets can't win this series without Familia.  My preference is that he goes in at the beginning of a fresh inning with a 2 run lead this time and hopefully gets a low pressure save to help his psyche.

The alternative is what happened here, when he goes in a high pressure situation when his psyche is already extremely fragile.  Even though the save was blown due to 2 weak grounders and a terrible throw by Duda, it's still a blown save.  It's what the Royals do.  He gives up some weak grounders with the bases empty and he's got a confidence-building save instead of another failure.

Familia had a much better chance to regain his mojo in my first scenario.

Obligatory "Yadier Molina got traded to the Royals?" joke. But bold nonetheless. I think the assumption is that he won't be batting again anytime soon and the Mets aren't a running team.

I would say Perez is as good as Molina, maybe even better. Taking out his bat isn't what worries me, it's his defense if they do indeed take the lead

I would say Perez is as good as Molina, maybe even better. Taking out his bat isn't what worries me, it's his defense if they do indeed take the lead

I think I saw somewhere that his backup, Butera, is just as good defensively.

It doesn't matter.  Runner, SB, weak grounder to move him to 3rd, and this game has that feeling I'm so used to with my sports teams.

This game isn't over, but it's clear that the Mets need to swing big for relievers this offseason. I think they should consider bringing back K-Rod and calling Washington about Storen.

They won't be able to keep Cespedes, so they may want to revisit the possibility of a bat for Wheeler trade (even though I really like Wheeler).

Also, we'll see if this World Series performance will help teams get smart about Murphy. I wouldn't be spending much on him if anything at all.

Edited by Hoss

The Mets owners are cheap.  Murphy and Cespedes are likely gone, which after how they've played in the World Series, I'm almost ambivalent about.

The Mets have also been scraping the bottom of the barrel for bullpen arms for years.  That has ruined some potentially decent teams.

I can't wait to see them trade away all this young pitching someday because they can't/won't pay them.

Well goodnight.  Gotta work early.

Nice run Mets! Ownership didn't deserve this team, but I'm happy for the players that they were able to make this postseason run.

Edited by EastsideOasis

Well now they should just stop

So, who's the WS MVP?

That's a tough question.

Realistic options:

Mike Moustakas - 7-for-23 with 3 RBIs

Ben Zobrist - 6-for-23 with 5 runs, 3 walks

Lorenzo Cain - 5-for-22 with 4 RBI, 4 walks

Alex Gordon - 4-for-19 with 3 RBI and a HR (game-tying in Game 1)

Edinson Volquez - 4 runs in 12 innings pitched, 8 Ks, lost his father

Salvador Perez - 8-for-22 with 2 RBI and command of the pitching staff

No clear-cut candidate on the team.

Edited by Hoss