The other sports thread

Eleven

2 hours ago, ubkev said:

Man, I hate the Lakers. I really do. But if the Knicks aren't in the Finals next year and the Lakers are, I'm really going to have to pull for Melo to snag a ring.

If it weren’t for Kobe and LeBron spending most of my adult life as members of the Lakers I’d probably hate them too but I’m looking forward to watching them play now. LeBron basically just went into the stock room and picked up a bunch of machine guns so he can go out in a blaze. If healthy, Nets/Lakers would be a finals for the ages.

You will never catch me on a skateboard, but I have found the Skateboarding in the Olympics to be absolutely great.  The competitors are all so young, male and female both.  Couple that with the fact that you "win" with only your best run, no matter how badly you may have bombed on all your other runs.  The result is you have everybody absolutely going for it, and that makes for great entertainment.  But the main thing about these Skateboarding events to me is the comradery of the skaters.  These kids all want to do their best, but they don't give a rat's ass who "wins", because whoever it is that wins is a huge pal of theirs.  The zero sum logic of 'if you win, then I lose' just does not register for these guys and gals, and it's very refreshing.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Anyone else on here going to the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen this weekend?

Been there three times and always enjoyed it. Haven’t followed nascar for probably 15 years but the races are a unique event.

3 hours ago, Andrew Amerk said:

Anyone else on here going to the NASCAR race at Watkins Glen this weekend?

I went one time.  It’s a lot of fun.

For anyone who hasn’t been to a race:  I’m not a huge NASCAR fan, but have friends and family who are.  I enjoy it casually, and that’s enough to have a fun weekend at the races.  It’s a unique experience.

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/6/2021 at 5:16 PM, Hoss said:

Been there three times and always enjoyed it. Haven’t followed nascar for probably 15 years but the races are a unique event.

On 8/6/2021 at 5:30 PM, Curt said:

I went one time.  It’s a lot of fun.

For anyone who hasn’t been to a race:  I’m not a huge NASCAR fan, but have friends and family who are.  I enjoy it casually, and that’s enough to have a fun weekend at the races.  It’s a unique experience.

Can confirm. 

I don’t follow NASCAR at all, but Watkins Glen is a heckuva fun time. Excellent people watching, and a great atmosphere. 

I went for years as a kid, and hadn’t been there in about 14 years. It was a fun weekend. I recommend it to anyone next season. 

2 hours ago, Eleven said:

Calvin Johnson is a Hall of Famer already?  It feels like he just retired.  It goes by too fast sometimes.

I was walking in the Walden Galleria when he retired suddenly which feels like it was forever ago to me.

3 hours ago, inkman said:

This is why cancel culture sucks.  

Cancel culture almost always misses (though it often targets people who never faced consequences for actions they should have) but this isn’t a case of cancel culture. Nobody was ever targeted or named because nobody knew. It sounded brutal but became clear pretty quickly what was said. The team should’ve done more investigation before saying anything.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Cancel culture almost always misses (though it often targets people who never faced consequences for actions they should have) but this isn’t a case of cancel culture. Nobody was ever targeted or named because nobody knew. It sounded brutal but became clear pretty quickly what was said. The team should’ve done more investigation before saying anything.

You’d think with a mascot named Dinger, they’d already kinda know this could be a thing.  Not sure why you are flexing so hard for cancel culture.  Semantics. 

2 minutes ago, inkman said:

You’d think with a mascot named Dinger, they’d already kinda know this could be a thing.  Not sure why you are flexing so hard for cancel culture.  Semantics. 

Very puzzling that they let it get to this point.

18 minutes ago, Andrew Amerk said:

But why were they only shouting “Dinger” while Brinson was at bat?

There’s a video of it happening. You clearly see a guy in the background gesturing toward the mascot and shouting to get his attention. I don’t know his overall motive. Probably to tell his girl he went to high school with Dinger. “We go way back, watch this.”

1 hour ago, Andrew Amerk said:

But why were they only shouting “Dinger” while Brinson was at bat?

Dude. Do you know how many times I yell Moose burgers at Amerks games?  It’s just what fans do.  I’m sure you’ve heard me. Here is that butthole mascot.  We have a long standing feud.  (In my head anyway, I don’t even think it’s the same person) 

• 2 weeks later...

Yankees at Braves, bottom 9, Yankees up 5-3. Braves are at bat for 31 minutes. Final score: 5-4. If you bat for 31 minutes, you'd better score 10 ***** runs. Aroldis Chapman was absolutely insufferable after his second batter faced. At times, he was taking over a minute in between pitches. He refused to throw a fastball for his last 2 batters then he was pulled, due to major suckage! 

13 minutes ago, I-90 W said:

I can picture Jack doing something similar if he ever does come back for us and is received the way I suspect he might.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/sports/javier-baez-mets-flip-thumbs-down-on-fans-team-prez-mad/3246935/

I'm a Mets fan and I hate this ***** team.  What a bunch of underachieving babies.  They deserve to be booed.

• Like (+1) 1