The other sports thread

Eleven

On 9/14/2021 at 10:28 AM, ubkev said:

Headed to Camden Yards in a couple hours. I get to check that ballpark off my list. I must say, I have high hopes. Everyone tells me how great it is.

Update: *****in fantastic ballpark! Definitely go see a game there. 

• Like (+1) 1

The Berrios trade has really payed off for the Jays - absolutely love to see a team go for it, and then get rewarded for doing so. Couple of good prospects given up, but their rotation is now smoking with all of Ray, Berrios and Manoah letting it rip. They've got a guy like Ryu in the 4th spot right now. The fact they have Berrios under contract for next season as well swings it. 

Since the All-Star Break, Jays starters: (AL Rank)

Wins - 1st

ERA - 1st

Whip - 1st

K - 1st

HR - 1st

- - - 

This whole ending stretch is basically playoff baseball. Baseball heaven, more less. 

Edited by Thorny
  • Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Thorny said:

The Berrios trade has really payed off for the Jays - absolutely love to see a team go for it, and then get rewarded for doing so. Couple of good prospects given up, but their rotation is now smoking with all of Ray, Berrios and Manoah letting it rip. They've got a guy like Ryu in the 4th spot right now. The fact they have Berrios under contract for next season as well swings it. 

Since the All-Star Break, Jays starters: (AL Rank)

Wins - 1st

ERA - 1st

Whip - 1st

K - 1st

HR - 1st

- - - 

This whole ending stretch is basically playoff baseball. Baseball heaven, more less. 

It's really going down to the wire.  Jays, dastardly Yankees and even more dastardly Red Sox all tied for the WC.  Others are fading with about 12 games left for Jays and Yankees and 10 (I think) for the Sox.

Pitching ultimately wins and the Jays have that going for them.  The bats have been on fire basically all season.  The offense has never been the issue and now the pitching has caught up.

If the pitching holds the Jays will be the 1 WC and then watch out.

Jays win!!

Red Sox win.  Yankees lose (well, top of 9 and trail 10 - 1).

Good day for the Jays.  Would have liked the Sox to lose, but it's okay.  Jays have 2 games in hand on the Sox.  1, I think on the Yankees.  

Jays solidify their position in the second WC today.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Samson's Flow sighting ... what's it gonna be now Flow?

I stongly suggest nothing about John.  Who knows what's up with that and his hair would not flow anyway.

I'm still lurking just don't have the free time I used to in order to be active here.

I'd need to have a favorite player on the Sabres in order to change my name again... not the most inspiring bunch the last few years

10 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

The Jays need to sweep Minnesota while the Yankees and Red Sox pummle on each other.  At this point it is probably best if the Sox sweep the Yankees.

Yup. They’re going to need help from Boston, especially after getting run off the field by the Twins tonight.

• Sad 1

Welp the Jays are starting to kiss the season goodbye. They’ll need a ninth inning comeback against the lowly Twins to not go down two games as the Yankees are smashing the Red Sox right now. Sweeping the Yankees would still help but thankfully they still have the O’s at the end of the year while the Yankees have the Rays in their final series.

The whole season for the Jays will likely come down to the next three games against the Yankees.

Of course, the same can be said for the Yankees.  Sort of.  The Yankees are 2 up on the Jays.

The Jays close out with three against Baltimore while the Yankees close with three against the Rays.  Easier route, in theory, for the Jays.  The Jays close out at home for the last six.  The Yankees are on the road in Toronto and then at home (I think) against the Rays.

The dastardly Red Sox will likely be the 1WC since they close out against Baltimore and then the Expos.

Right now the Jays are 2 games behind the Yankees and 1 behind the Red Sox. 

It's easy to see the Sox going 4 and 2.  Maybe even 5 and 1.  Very possibly sweep out.

Bottom line for me is that the Jays need (not absolutely) to sweep the last 6 games.  If they go 4 and 2 that may not be quite enough, but they likely will need to get to 92 wins, which is 5 more.  It's a tough go.  If they sweep the Yankees they will be 1 up on them with 3 games to go against Baltimore and the Yankees will play 3 against the Rays, who have nothing really to play for at this point.

The ods calculations have the Red Sox at 92% chance at the playoff.  Yankees are at about 62% and the Jays about 45%.

This is it boys!!  I hate everything about The Great Satan, but ...

GO JAYS!!

MUST WIN!!