The other sports thread

Eleven

18 hours ago, Curt said:

Oh I dare say that Osaka has become the “target” de jure herself recently.

Also, I’m not entirely sure who the international tennis community is.

You, Curt.  You are the international tennis community.  You are responsible.

• Haha (+1) 1

34 minutes ago, Hoss said:

Hello Robbie Ray, I just want to introduce myself as Hoss. Big fan, hope the Jays can re-sign you. You clearly read this thread since you just had probably your best performance after our discussion here about you being in Cy Young contention.

Very impressive outing.  6 and 2/3 innings of 1 hit ... 10 SO ... 3 BB ... no runs.  Very nice, indeed.

Just now, Hoss said:

Blue Jays need to call up the bank and make sure they’ve got the funds to re-sign him and Semien.

I believe they will, since it seems unlikely that the post season this year will happen.

They did what they needed to do this weekend and swept the A's.  The first two were really something a come from way back win and yesterday was an almost snatching defeat from the jaws of victory thing.  Today with Mr. Ray on the hill was no sweat.

Big time series against the damn Yankees starting tomorrow afternoon.

22 minutes ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I believe they will, since it seems unlikely that the post season this year will happen.

They did what they needed to do this weekend and swept the A's.  The first two were really something a come from way back win and yesterday was an almost snatching defeat from the jaws of victory thing.  Today with Mr. Ray on the hill was no sweat.

Big time series against the damn Yankees starting tomorrow afternoon.

I’m skeptical of them breaking the bank on either purely because they’re going to have to pay Vlad and the other MLB sons a ton soon. I don’t know their spending history too well but they don’t seem like a team that’s willing to go there often.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m skeptical of them breaking the bank on either purely because they’re going to have to pay Vlad and the other MLB sons a ton soon. I don’t know their spending history too well but they don’t seem like a team that’s willing to go there often.

I tend to agree, but they signed Springer last year. I think they are really trying to get there. I am not sure how much longer they control Vlad, but I think it’s a few more years.

2 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I tend to agree, but they signed Springer last year. I think they are really trying to get there. I am not sure how much longer they control Vlad, but I think it’s a few more years.

I always worry once a team that rarely spends does spend big - they aren't likely to do so again the following season.

They may have control of Vlad but the trend in baseball right now is to sign the young guys to massive deals early and that's probably going to have to happen with Vlad. He's under control through 2026. The thought is he'll likely approach $400M over 12-14 years. Bo Bichette is likely going to be another massive deal though not quite that much ... getting ahead of his deal might be a good idea. Some young guys have turned out to be bargains because they get 7/8 year deals worth well below their eventual value early on.

6 hours ago, Hoss said:

I always worry once a team that rarely spends does spend big - they aren't likely to do so again the following season.

They may have control of Vlad but the trend in baseball right now is to sign the young guys to massive deals early and that's probably going to have to happen with Vlad. He's under control through 2026. The thought is he'll likely approach $400M over 12-14 years. Bo Bichette is likely going to be another massive deal though not quite that much ... getting ahead of his deal might be a good idea. Some young guys have turned out to be bargains because they get 7/8 year deals worth well below their eventual value early on.

I think that all sport have gone insane with the salaries.

Seems like the deals that world footballers have signed are more reasonable, except of course for Messi (about 126M US$ including endoresments*), Ronaldo (about 117M US$ Including endorsements*) and Naymar (just under 100M US$).  The next highest 7 range from 27M to 42M, which is in the Vlad range you mentioned.  I realize that world football is a huge $ maker far outpacing the NFL on a worldwide basis.  Seems like the NHL salaries are a bargain by comparison, but it's not a fair comparison.

* those are the contracts with their previous clubs, so I am not sure what their new deals are worth with their new clubs.  Another interestng thing is the clubs get compensated through a funky transfer fee system in the top European leagues.

1 hour ago, Wyldnwoody44 said:

Damn, hate me some Notre dame 

Paging @LastPommerFan to the other sports thread ...

Come in LPF!!

I really miss that guy.

11 hours ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Jays have never had an issue spending when it was warranted 

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

I think that all sport have gone insane with the salaries.

Seems like the deals that world footballers have signed are more reasonable, except of course for Messi (about 126M US$ including endoresments*), Ronaldo (about 117M US$ Including endorsements*) and Naymar (just under 100M US$).  The next highest 7 range from 27M to 42M, which is in the Vlad range you mentioned.  I realize that world football is a huge $ maker far outpacing the NFL on a worldwide basis.  Seems like the NHL salaries are a bargain by comparison, but it's not a fair comparison.

* those are the contracts with their previous clubs, so I am not sure what their new deals are worth with their new clubs.  Another interestng thing is the clubs get compensated through a funky transfer fee system in the top European leagues.

Paging @LastPommerFan to the other sports thread ...

Come in LPF!!

I really miss that guy.

Not really fair comparison, unless you include endorsements for the non footballers too.  But yes, they do make an awful lot of money.

In straight salary, Ronaldo is making about $36.5M and Messi about $41M on their new contracts.  That’s about the upper limit for footballer salaries.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/rankings/weekly/

Edited by Curt

11 minutes ago, Thorny said:

Jays have never had an issue spending when it was warranted 

I agree.  They spent what was a lot in the early 90s.  With great results.

Very few occasions since.  Rogers has always said the $ will be available if / when the team is in a place where they are a playoff / WS contender.  They are pretty much there now.  Ray will be signed, IMO.  And Vladdy will get a monster contract as will Bo.

12 minutes ago, Curt said:

Not really fair comparison, unless you include endorsements for the non footballers too.  But yes, they do make an awful lot of money.

In straight salary, Ronaldo is making about $36.5M and Messi about $41M on their new contracts.  That’s about the upper limit for footballer salaries.

https://www.spotrac.com/epl/rankings/weekly/

Yup.  I heard that both took big salary / bonus pay cuts from their old clubs, which is expected since they are great still, but getting older.  The endorement $ stays, so long as the agreements are in place.

NFL players can and do make a lot from endorements.  NHL ????? I really don't think it's really a thing.

1 hour ago, New Scotland (NS) said:

Yup.  I heard that both took big salary / bonus pay cuts from their old clubs, which is expected since they are great still, but getting older.  The endorement $ stays, so long as the agreements are in place.

NFL players can and do make a lot from endorements.  NHL ????? I really don't think it's really a thing.

NHL players definitely make money from endorsements, but not as much because they aren’t as widely famous.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

I’m going to Notre Dame @ Virginia Tech next month so I’d like ND to play well until then so the Hokies can crush their spirits.

My wife [VA Tech Alum, big fan and whatnot] asked about the possibility of grabbing tickets the other day.  

Me [Bonaventure grad, could not possibly care about anything less than I do college football, with the possible exception of hoping something terrible happens to Penn State every week] after having a quick glance at the ol' StubHub:  

Go Go Go Reaction GIF

2 minutes ago, Sabel79 said:

My wife [VA Tech Alum, big fan and whatnot] asked about the possibility of grabbing tickets the other day.  

Me [Bonaventure grad, could not possibly care about anything less than I do college football, with the possible exception of hoping something terrible happens to Penn State every week] after having a quick glance at the ol' StubHub:  

Go Go Go Reaction GIF

Luckily we got them at face value when they originally went on sale from Va Tech. I can’t wait. Also a Bonaventure grad but I’ve always rooted for VT in football. Them and Maryland.

Separately, I think the Blue Jays are off to a decent start in the Yankees series.