The other sports thread

Eleven

50 minutes ago, dudacek said:

I’ve never heard of Ohtani until these posts.

He plays on the west coast which doesn't help. But he is unreal. Leads the league in HRs and one of the best pitchers to boot. He can play almost any position as well. He's a freak to say the least.

2 hours ago, Hoss said:

NBA playoff ratings are way up this year and there’s been a ton of good basketball played. This era is so stacked talent-wise I’m glad to see the super teams gone (aside from Brooklyn).

For now, and it's not for a lack of trying. 

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Shoutout Rob Manfred for that.

Ohtani legitimately has the ability to be the best baseball player in nearly 100 years.

Well Trout would like a word, but your point of Manfred being inept and the MLB as a whole refusing to join this century in growing their brand fully stands. 

23 minutes ago, WildCard said:

For now, and it's not for a lack of trying. 

Well Trout would like a word, but your point of Manfred being inept and the MLB as a whole refusing to join this century in growing their brand fully stands. 

This offseason will be very interesting in the NBA because the league is wide open.

On Trout: he still stands as the best player but if this year is a sign of things to come from Ohtani he'll dwarf Trout. Being a .280 hitter on a 60-home run, 140-RBI pace AND a sub-2.50 hitter is unheard of. Things normally fall back down to earth as the year climbs on and will likely do the same next year/beyond as more teams get film on him BUT if he even ends up as a .280 hitter with 40 home runs and a sub-3.00 pitcher that's unmatched.

Saw a stat this morning.. can't readily find it again right now.

Since 1901 four times has a player pitched 10 strikeouts and hit two HRs in the same game.

Some guy in 1954

Some guy in 1971

Shohei Ohtani in 2019 and 2021.

He leads the league in HRs.

Here is quote from MLB

Wednesday’s start will also close an amazing month for Ohtani, who has tied a club record with 13 homers in June, while also going 2-0 with a 2.35 ERA and 32 strikeouts in 23 innings in four starts on the mound.

He's hitting .313 with six doubles, a triple, 16 walks, 23 RBIs and four stolen bases in 24 games this month. It gives him a slash line of .278/.361/.688 with a Major League-leading 49 extra-base hits in 74 games this year.

He's kind of insane.  I'm not even a fan of MLB but what he's doing is too good to not notice.

12 hours ago, Hoss said:

This offseason will be very interesting in the NBA because the league is wide open.

On Trout: he still stands as the best player but if this year is a sign of things to come from Ohtani he'll dwarf Trout. Being a .280 hitter on a 60-home run, 140-RBI pace AND a sub-2.50 hitter is unheard of. Things normally fall back down to earth as the year climbs on and will likely do the same next year/beyond as more teams get film on him BUT if he even ends up as a .280 hitter with 40 home runs and a sub-3.00 pitcher that's unmatched.

If he can actually sustain that pace, for years, then yeah he's in a league of his own. Until then though there's Bonds, Trout, Rose...lot of names to contend with as the best player in over 100 yars. 

14 hours ago, Hoss said:

NBA playoff ratings are way up this year and there’s been a ton of good basketball played. This era is so stacked talent-wise I’m glad to see the super teams gone (aside from Brooklyn).

Incredible how bad baseball is at showcasing its players. I get that they haven’t found team success but the best player in baseball and the most unique player in baseball are both on the same team and the Angels are still nowhere to be found.

I haven’t watched a minute of playoff hockey nor did I watch a minute of regular season basketball.  I have watched a ton of playoff basketball.  I don’t think I’ve seen this level of talent ever in the NBA.  Every team has guys 10 deep that can absolutely ball.  Entertaining as hell.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thanks (+1) 1

3 hours ago, WildCard said:

If he can actually sustain that pace, for years, then yeah he's in a league of his own. Until then though there's Bonds, Trout, Rose...lot of names to contend with as the best player in over 100 yars. 

Indeed. That’s why I said he has the ability and not that he IS. I like that you didn’t mention Griffey somehow lol

3 hours ago, inkman said:

I haven’t watched a minute of playoff hockey nor did I watch a minute of regular season basketball.  I have watched a ton of playoff basketball.  I don’t think I’ve seen this level of talent ever in the NBA.  Every team has guys 10 deep that can absolutely ball.  Entertaining as hell.  

The future of that game is bright. Because of the structure of how young players get attention now the culture is going to make it even bigger in a few years even though the greatest player ever will be retiring.

1 hour ago, Hoss said:

Indeed. That’s why I said he has the ability and not that he IS. I like that you didn’t mention Griffey somehow lol

The future of that game is bright. Because of the structure of how young players get attention now the culture is going to make it even bigger in a few years even though the greatest player ever will be retiring.

The greatest player ever never got completely locked up by JJ Berea in the finals! 😛

Joe Madden, you wily bastard! Bat you pitcher leadoff. Pull him after .2 of an inning, go to the pen 3 times in 2 innings and then you get a rain delay. 

....just like he *****in drew it up.

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, JujuFish said:

Trea Turner is the first player in MLB history to hit for the cycle on his birthday. Neat.

It's still insane that the Nationals completely robbed the Padres for him. He was a Player to be Named Later in that deal ... Go Nats.

On 6/25/2021 at 8:25 PM, DarthEbriate said:

The icky part is the fun part of the conversation. My 'Ebriate brain looks at everything recreational that fits into the "has rules for outcomes" as a game. And then where do we go from game to sport. Let's say I play a computer game, an EA NHL game because it's a hockey board. So -- I play at home 1:1 vs. computer or vs. friends = game. Online vs. friends or strangers = game. I think as soon as I add a Twitch account and people log on online for me to play at a specific time -- I'm crossing into sports threshold. If I'm on Twitch and have a sponsored team and am going to conventions/competitions for a computer game... I'm not gaming... I'm sporting. And I kind of weave that across everything. You can turn any game into a sport if society allows, or rather, desires it.

The game vs sport classification is not based on the level of professionalism or seriousness with which it’s done.

Also, game vs sport isn’t the right distinction, because most sports are also games.  An activity is not strictly one or the other.

So if anyone is going to road trip down to Texas to watch the Buffalo Bandits play the Panther CIty Lacrosse Team (i.e., Ft Worth), let me know, I can point you to the good craft breweries and tourist traps and such.

Yeah, Fort Worth has a team in the NLL now.  Their new arena is cycling distance from my house.

28 minutes ago, Doohickie said:

So if anyone is going to road trip down to Texas to watch the Buffalo Bandits play the Panther CIty Lacrosse Team (i.e., Ft Worth), let me know, I can point you to the good craft breweries and tourist traps and such.

Yeah, Fort Worth has a team in the NLL now.  Their new arena is cycling distance from my house.

Isn't that pretty much anything on North, Central, or South America paper if you have the time?

(Doesn't really narrow it down much. 😉 )

Edited by Taro T

On 6/30/2021 at 11:15 AM, inkman said:

I’m kind of in the same boat as you.  After the Sabres season was done, I turned my attention to the NBA playoffs.  It’s been fun, except for all the injuries.

On 6/30/2021 at 2:57 PM, Hoss said:

Greatest player ever is up for debate.