The other sports thread

Eleven

"So here’s Torii Hunter summed up: who a man kisses in the privacy of his home is his business; men beating up women is none of his business."

http://hardballtalk.nbcsports.com/2015/05/02/torii-hunter-doesnt-care-what-floyd-mayweather-has-done-outside-of-the-boxing-ring/

It's pretty much fact that he's abusive to women. 

But he doesn't get punished for it because white people still have a ton of money to make off of him. 

Well then I am very glad I didn't support the fight.  People who abuse women rank so low on my scale that I can't even begin to explain it. 

It's pretty much fact that he's abusive to women. 

But he doesn't get punished for it because white people still have a ton of money to make off of him. 

Just white people?

Also, I think "white people" make money off of Ray Rice, too.  He was punished.

And I'm pretty sure that Mayweather did time.

Edited by Eleven

Just white people?

Also, I think "white people" make money off of Ray Rice, too.  He was punished.

And I'm pretty sure that Mayweather did time.

Have you ever looked at a crowd shot during a boxing match before? It's like a playoff game in Winnipeg. 

Have you ever looked at a crowd shot during a boxing match before? It's like a playoff game in Winnipeg. 

Yeah, those people paid for it, so how are they making money? 

Also, in that crowd I saw Jay Z, Beyonce, Magic Johnson, Denzel Washington....being white has nothing to do with if you were there or if you made money off of it. Rich people were there, and rich people made money off of it.

Ah, you mean the gamblers.  They make money off of NFL games, too.  Meanwhile, Pacquiao made more off of fighting Mayweather than he would off of fighting anyone else; promoters and team members often are not white, etc.

As dastardly as Mayweather is, I don't think we can quite say that he gets away with it because white people make money off of him.

Yeah, those people paid for it, so how are they making money? 

Also, in that crowd I saw Jay Z, Beyonce, Magic Johnson, Denzel Washington....being white has nothing to do with if you were there or if you made money off of it. Rich people were there, and rich people made money off of it.

That was my initial reaction, too; I think he's referring to gambling.

Ah, you mean the gamblers.  They make money off of NFL games, too.  Meanwhile, Pacquiao made more off of fighting Mayweather than he would off of fighting anyone else; promoters and team members often are not white, etc.

As dastardly as Mayweather is, I don't think we can quite say that he gets away with it because white people make money off of him.

That was my initial reaction, too; I think he's referring to gambling.

Would boxing even exist without a guy like Mayweather? That's what I'm getting at. It'd be a dead sport if they paid any attention to who their fighters were as people. 

Would boxing even exist without a guy like Mayweather? That's what I'm getting at. It'd be a dead sport if they paid any attention to who their fighters were as people. 

I'm not sure what you mean.  There are and have been plenty of fighters who are decent people.  The fact that the current champ happens to be an doesn't mean that the sport relies upon .

I'm not sure what you mean.  There are and have been plenty of fighters who are decent people.  The fact that the current champ happens to be an ###### doesn't mean that the sport relies upon ######.

This bout was the biggest thing in boxing that everyone has been waiting for. That's sad. They're propping guys like Mayweather up just to keep the sport alive. 

This bout was the biggest thing in boxing that everyone has been waiting for. That's ###### sad. They're propping guys like Mayweather up just to keep the sport alive. 

He didn't need propping up.  He's the best there is.  The fact that he's an is beside the point.  If some other boxer were better and regularly kicking ass, the sport would be just as fine as it is now.  In fact, it would be better off without the guy than it is with him.

He didn't need propping up.  He's the best there is.  The fact that he's an ###### is beside the point.  If some other boxer were better and regularly kicking ass, the sport would be just as fine as it is now.  In fact, it would be better off without the guy than it is with him.

Which proves my point. If there were anyone better than him he'd be in jail instead of making billions of dollars. But the betting industry and everyone who profits from it needs him on the outside for their own personal gain. 

Which proves my point. If there were anyone better than him he'd be in jail instead of making billions of dollars. But the betting industry and everyone who profits from it needs him on the outside for their own personal gain. 

He already went to jail.  He's out.  There's no evidence that he hit anyone (outside of a ring, of course) since.

I didn't know where else to put this, or if it really deserved it's own thread, so here it is: Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN because the sides couldn't come to terms on a new contract

http://thebiglead.com/2015/05/08/bill-simmons-espn-hbo-fox-six-million/

I think the following nicely sums up everything wrong with ESPN:

But when ESPN goes down the line and rattles off how much revenue Mike & Mike’s radio show pulls in (you may agree with Simmons on the show, but it’s a money maker), and how much money First Take brings in, well, a bottom-line business like ESPN eventually balks at making that big of a pay-day to a writer (who does dabble in TV). And President John Skipper has mentioned this to more than a few people: Hey, we’ve got Skip Bayless and Colin Cowherd contract talks ahead, if we set the bar around $6 million, what do we pay those guys?

I mean, regardless of what you think of his writing, the quality of content Simmons has spearheaded through Grantland and the 30 for 30 docs is light years beyond Mike & Mike and First Take...but it doesn't make enough money, so he's out. 

I didn't know where else to put this, or if it really deserved it's own thread, so here it is: Bill Simmons is leaving ESPN because the sides couldn't come to terms on a new contract

I mean, regardless of what you think of his writing, the quality of content Simmons has spearheaded through Grantland and the 30 for 30 docs is light years beyond Mike & Mike and First Take...but it doesn't make enough money, so he's out.

IMHO, the worst thing to ever happen to ESPN was Tom Mees passing. Their passion for hockey has never been close (apologies to Buccigross & Steve Levy).

The next worst was the passing of Dick Schaap. Those 2 were very concerned w/ the quality and seemed to have a lot of sway w/in.

How truly sad that the network cares more about Mr. Westcoast / frontrunner knobgobber than a guy that does bring them some quality. (Note, not referring to Skip in case anyone was confused. ;))

Despite his love and bias for Boston sports I love Simmons. He's not afraid to fight faints the powers that be. I hope he ends up at Fox Sports because I want them to legitimately put up a fight as an ESPN rival (it'll never happen but some real competition would be nice).

I think Simmons goes home to Boston and starts his own media, though. Maybe picks up a local radio spot that gets simulcast somewhere and writes away.

Edited by Hoss