Should Andreychuk's number be retired?

Hoss

When people talk about the great's in Buffalo's history, his name almost never comes up. But the fact is the guy had the second most points out of any Sabre in history. He was remarkebly consistent, does he deserve it?

Dave-Andreychuck.jpg

I don't think so. And not because he doesn't necessarily deserve the honor. It's just that I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers. I'd want current players to aspire to wear the numbers of past greats and to be doing everything in their power to earn the privilege. Instead of retiring them, I'd kinda hold them in reserve if you will.

I'm willing to make exceptions for those numbers worn by players that transcended the game. Players like Bert and Hasek come to mind.

Anyway, I would certainly never begrudge retiring a number if that's what happens.

GO SABRES!!!

He's already in the Sabres Hall of Fame. That seems about right, unless you believe in carrying on the tradition of watering down the honor of retiring a number.

Arc has the numbers right IMHO -- I would disagree about no more retirements until a Cup.

Numbers are retired way too easily in the NHL

Only elite, Hockey Hall of Fame-level players who are unquestionably identified with the team.

In other words, only 11 and 39.

(Horton's being left empty as a sign of respect is fine, as long as it's not hanging from the rafters.)

And while we are on numbers, Lou Lamoriello's got it right. Bring back number one for goalies, 2-6 for D-men and above 35 only for players who haven't really made their place in the league yet. Make high numbers a goal for the young guys to shoot for. Who the ###### wears 63 except a ###### lineman? ###### Gretzky ruined everything.

Now excuse me, I have to go yell at the kids who looked at my lawn...

And while we are on numbers, Lou Lamoriello's got it right. Bring back number one for goalies, 2-6 for D-men and above 35 only for players who haven't really made their place in the league yet. Make high numbers a goal for the young guys to shoot for. Who the ###### wears 63 except a ###### lineman? ###### Gretzky ruined everything.

2-6 is only 5 spots... :)

I have a hard time with this one. I think only the absolute best of the best should get their numbers retired-- he's second in points. But then my second stipulation is that they changed the culture and alterred the history of the team... he didn't do that. My gut says no. The statistics say yes. That's why it's not all about stats.

I think the french connection, 39 and 2 should all be retired. I think VERY few players deserve the honor. I'm not opposed to Patty having his retired, though.

Why should Tim Horton's number be retired? He barely played for us

He died while on the roster. It's more a respect and then who would want to wear that number?

I think the retired #s should be 11, 39, and 2. Nothing else until the first sabre hoists the cup over his head.

They should never unretire any jersey, but you're onto something here. For a organization who hasn't won anything yet, we do have a lot of numbers retired. I remember WGR was making jokes about it during our Presidents' trophy winning season, if we won the Cup that year, who from that team would go up in rafters after they retired? 23? 48? 30?

Since Mikhail Grigorenko probably won't call up Moginly and ask for #89, he's supposedly going to be wearing #25. I remember reading a tweet about it from one of the US based-Russian reporters.

I don't think so. And not because he doesn't necessarily deserve the honor. It's just that I'm not a big fan of retiring numbers. I'd want current players to aspire to wear the numbers of past greats and to be doing everything in their power to earn the privilege. Instead of retiring them, I'd kinda hold them in reserve if you will.

I'm willing to make exceptions for those numbers worn by players that transcended the game. Players like Bert and Hasek come to mind.

Anyway, I would certainly never begrudge retiring a number if that's what happens.

GO SABRES!!!

No Ernie? :(

If the team wins the cup next season, is there anybody on the team RIGHT NOW that would deserve their number retired with the Stanley Cup added to their resume?

Vanek, Pominville, Miller and Myers come to mind without too much thought.

Numbers are retired way too easily in the NHL

Only elite, Hockey Hall of Fame-level players who are unquestionably identified with the team.

In other words, only 11 and 39.

(Horton's being left empty as a sign of respect is fine, as long as it's not hanging from the rafters.)

Now excuse me, I have to go yell at the kids who looked at my lawn...

Agree that retiring numbers should be for the best of the best. A "Hall of Fame Plus."

And I think about 10 years ago, Ottawa had a rule: No numbers above 49, period. I always liked that.

Archived